PDA

View Full Version : Learn to fly

R22_EGNH
10th Dec 2007, 14:03
Well I was going to learn to fly a plane, until I had my first trip offshore and the helicopter flight was fantastic, I have now signed up to learn to fly a helicopter…and can't wait :)

Any recommendation on books, DVD's and equipment would be appreciated

GOT
10th Dec 2007, 15:30
I have been in the exakt same position, starting my PPL in february!

Good luck mate! :)

Torquetalk
10th Dec 2007, 15:47
Try a demo flight in both the 300 and R22 before deciding which aircraft to learn in.

I fly both and find the 300 far superior for ab initio training

The PPL confuser is really good for exam prep
And the Oxford meteorology and RT CDs are excellent

TT

Gaseous
10th Dec 2007, 16:02
R22_EGNH
Presumably you're going to do it at Blackpool. Your post brought back to me the happy memories and excitement of doing my PPL at EGNH in a 22. Enjoy it. I'm sure you will. It was a fantastic experience for me. Let us know how you get on.

I'm sure your instructor will tell you what you need and when. All you really need at first is the enthusiasm and the cash.

TT, is there a school doing 300 training at Blackpool? Just curious. Not been there for a while.

Oh, and you might want to check out this.
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253856

4ftHover
10th Dec 2007, 16:03
Best of Luck !

Have you chosen a school / aircraft type yet ?

Hughesy
10th Dec 2007, 20:34
One peice of equipment....your very own beer handle!! Remember to keep the workout even...one drink left hand, one right hand etc etc. :}

Good luck and enjoy!:ok:

nige the learner
10th Dec 2007, 22:25
which school are you using ?

sleepyrascal
11th Dec 2007, 09:58
you sound like i did 3 years ago when i decided to learn.... that was before i found out all the bad stuff... i.e, price, jobs (lack of) etc. :ugh:

R22_EGNH
11th Dec 2007, 13:27
When I am back from work, I am going to have a drive up and talk to the two flying schools, but I am looking at Brian Seedle Helicopters or Helicentre any recommendations ?

Crieff-ite
11th Dec 2007, 14:44
Hi R22 EGNH

I've PM'd you the number of the guy who owns one of the schools up there. He used to work under Brian Seedles as Heli2000 but that partnership has separated and he now goes under the name of DC aviation but still has a hold on the name Heli2000 (confusing I know). He flies 22's 44's and a 300. I couldn't honestly tell you what the school is like as I have only ever went in there for a coffee and chat when heli has been in for maintenance next door at Seedles.
As for the other school, Helicentre, I got my license there 8 years ago, so it has all changed, management and all. As far as I can tell, from watching them come and go, they fly 22's and 44's.

Gaseous
11th Dec 2007, 21:12
I did my PPL at Seedles. They were OK but I'm pretty sure non of the instructors that were there then are still there. I was happy with them. PM on the way about doing a PPL at Blackpool.

Torquetalk
12th Dec 2007, 16:59
Gaseous

As per post above, 22, 44 & 300 all available at EGNH as far as I know

TT

ROTORVATION
12th Dec 2007, 17:10
Unfortunatly found heli2000 to be dissapointing, with little or no groundschool given. Also, the operation doesn't actually exist. It's a one man band.

I got that frustrated that I transfered to helicentre. A little more expensive but only by a few pound, but found the instructional content was there, and the aircraft they operate are a lot better.

Wasn't just me who thought that, met two other stuents recently who moved from heli 2000 to helicentre.

that's my two cents worth anyway

Peter-RB
13th Dec 2007, 17:39
R22 EGNH,

Whatever and whoever you choose get to understand the basics of the machine you will fly, know what everything does, makes sure you understand the total seriousness of your Pre-flight check(if it looks wrong it normally is) ask lots of questions about the previous flights get to know how to read and understand the last few flight entries in the Tech Log, it sounds boring what I am asking you to do ... but one day it will be a life saver!! Yours.

If there is no prevous entry for the flight before yours in the Tech log, or no signature.. ASK WHY!!

You dont need to be an engineer but understaning what moves what , will make you aware of just how small serious nuts and bolts are, anything that moves or spins or connects to your hand should be wired up, if not DONT FLY IT

Check the Hobbs meter(hour recording flighttime) it should match the tech log, if not, then walk away.

I could go on but I would quite possibly put you off flying, I dont want to do that. but take heed of what I write!!

Peter R-B
Vfrpilotpb