PDA

View Full Version : Tradewinds Flight School and European American Aviation.. Any recent experiences?

Scoobster
9th Dec 2007, 23:03
I am currently in the shortlist process for commencing the PPL portion of modular training around May -June.

I have looked at EAC website and Tradewinds, both seem to have positive feedback. I am also considering Canada as an option, however, doing an FAA PPL also brings the benefit of a Night Rating included with the PPL.

Has anyone got any recent feedback/experiences from Tradewinds Flight School operating out of Fort Pierce, FL?

Would also appreciate it for EAA?

Usual stuff, like how good is the joint, instructors, 'student happiness' ratio :}

Worth going to FL/Fort Pierce for a PPL, in terms of airspace, airport, VDF steers, weather etc?

and finally.. (although more subjective) is it worthwhile in doing the PPL on a DA 20 or DA 40 over a C152? (other than the cost saving of the 152).

Cheers,

Scoobster

Scoobster
11th Dec 2007, 14:01
Of all the available schools in FL, surely someone has been to Tradewinds and can give an insight?!

Would it help if I said pretty please :}

Superpilot
12th Dec 2007, 16:40
Scoobster,

Tradewinds is a FAA only school. Most people on these boards are only interested in JAA. It is one of the few schools in and around the FL area that has existed for quite a while though. I remember coming across the name nearly 8 years ago.

EAA-fly on the other hand - can't comment as have never been there but one of the Chief Flight Instructors I have flown with in the past at another school and he is a pleasure to be in the company off as well as an excellent instructor. That's all I can offer you! :\

Scoobster
12th Dec 2007, 20:04
Superpilot,

Great. Thanks for the brief but no doubt great comments. Well, at present I have to do FAA and then convert due to the white coat people at the UK CAA.

If only I could do JAA that would be great and I would not need to leave the UK apart from hours building!

Tradewinds want all the money for the PPL up front £3000 (approx $4,600) because they run a 'tight ship' family operated FBO.. but I am just cautious of handing over £3k (albeit a small sum) but nonetheless still hard earned money!

So the search continues...

chrisbl
12th Dec 2007, 21:50
Can I suggest you try Hillsboro Aviation in Oregon.

They do not require fees up front, it is strictly pay as you go and are FAA only but do do the visa stuff.

I did them for my commercial and they are very adept with non US students. They get them through.

http://www.hillsboroaviation.com/page.asp?id=234&TR=213&PR=0

As Oregon does not have sales tax, then you can save a bit of money too. Its is also a lot less dull and depressing than Florida too.

BounceBounceLand
14th Dec 2007, 12:02
Hi,

I'm in Fort Pierce at the minute and a few friends have been very pleased with Tradewinds, although it is slightly more expensive than other places.

My pennies worth, if its the FAA PPL your after then the place I did my hour building is a great place to fly.... http://www.hubcityaviation.com (http://www.hubcityaviation.com/)

11,500 runway, plenty of jets and military traffic, but not enough to slow ya down. I had a ball there doin my hour building and a jananese guy got his FAA PPL from zero hours in 3 weeks.....

Very informal and relaxed atmosphere with training to a high standard

PM me if you wanna know more

BigGrecian
15th Jun 2008, 00:03
Tradewinds isn't approved to provide visas therefore, isn't approved to provide flight training to non US citizens either...

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/ApprovedSchools.pdf

lillyronnie
3rd Jul 2008, 17:57
Went to Tradewinds in May 2007.Crap flight training and old aircraft.Ernie is just in it for the money ,the rates dual and solo are probably the dearest in Florida.

cirruscrystal
3rd Jul 2008, 18:52
I trained at EAA when doing FAA IR, school, instructors and aircraft are all top drawer. You wont find a better school and the aircraft are unlike any other flight school's. CFI is Bruce Battalan, i think is now one of very few Master Flying instructors and as stated before one of the best:ok: