PDA

View Full Version : Civil Service nominate JPA for an award

plans123
9th Dec 2007, 14:25
Surely they can't be serious, is this how they measure success? by call waiting times and money saved?

http://www.civilservicenetwork.com/index.php?id=228

Rather be Gardening
9th Dec 2007, 15:09
WHAT???? They just don't give up do they? After being thwarted in their attempt to nominate themselves for an award via the 'Computing Awards for Excellence' (following a deafening outcry by the users), they're now trying this route.

Which bit of this are they struggling with: JPA is probably the worst self-service system in existence on this planet; badly designed, poorly implemented, user-unfriendly, and, quite possibly, open to hackers.

If anyone chose JPA Implementation as a thesis in How Not to Do It, they'd get a doctorate...........

Sven Sixtoo
9th Dec 2007, 15:11
Thank heavens for that. I've slept right through Christmas, it's April 1st and Porcine 1 is cleared for take-off!

Isn't it?

Melchett01
9th Dec 2007, 15:22
Customer Quote: “Given the size and complexity of the JPA programme, it is remarkable that we have implemented it so smoothly

Give me strength! Which bit of this system is sht do lot not understand? Which bit of if we the "customers" turned out a similar performance in our daily duties, we'd be fired do you not understand?

The challenge included maintaining pay and pension operations to over 300,000 members of the armed forces and 350,000 pensioners, whilst simultaneously designing, building, testing and implementing the JPA programme.

And why didn't you think that this might be a bit of an issue? Oh of course, because we the "customer" don't actually matter. It really doesn't matter if their pay gets screwed up for months on end whilst we still tinker with it. Once they've been evicted because they've not been able to meet their mortgage payments, they'll be thanking us from their council bedsits or decrepit quarters.

Annual savings of £100m will be achieved and over £100m has been delivered already

By not paying people correctly.

Administrative savings equate to over 1,400 posts and 740 have been delivered already.

And don't we bloody well know it! Have you ever tried to ring JPA to complain that they've screwed your pay again? That place seems to be full of Work Experience. Alternatively, you must have the cleanest offices in the Civil Service - I can only assume that, because I've lost count of the number of times my call seems to have been answere by a cleaner. And judging that I'm not the only one in this boat, you must have hundreds of cleaners up there.

So, as a suggestion - from one of your customers - how about you take your head out of your collective backsides, stop this sickening bout of self congratulation, cancel the bonuses and get the bloody thing working and pay people correctly, first time and on time. You've already been rumbled by one awards ceremony, if there's any justice that will soon be 2.

mary_hinge
9th Dec 2007, 15:24
What, this JPA

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3022422.ece

Or perhaps this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/04/npay104.xml

Or this

http://www.nntp.it/cultura-militare/691581-troops-underpaid-after-computer-system-hitch.html

GasFitter
9th Dec 2007, 15:40
It has been successfully deployed to units in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan as well as on board Royal Navy ships.

I would be interested to know the 'success' criteria.

hoodie
9th Dec 2007, 15:42
Another page on the same site (http://www.civilservicenetwork.com/civil-service-awards.html) reveals that these awards have already been awarded, and JPA did NOT win. (The Biometrics Passport Project did.)

JPA was shortlisted, though...

The Award criteria were:

An award recognising good practice in project and programme management, open to any individual or team that can demonstrate:

Appropriate application of recognised PPM skills and methods
Evidence of sound sponsorship of the project/programme, and clear appreciation of the customer-supplier environment
Clarity about pre-agreed benefits, and evidence of their delivery

Plus also

Special Judging Criteria

As well as ensuring that each entry conforms to the corresponding award criteria, judges will be looking for the following elements where relevant within each category:

Promotion or demonstration of the core values and behaviours set out in the Civil Service Code
Measurable benefits, with potential to act as a benchmark across government
Evidence of best practice
Working in partnership
Innovation
Diversity

Melchett01
9th Dec 2007, 15:50
It appears that JPA didn't win in either of the categories it was put forward for. Appears that they were beaten by legal aid and passport projects.

So that will 0/3 at various awards ceremonies so far?

Incidentally, did the other awards ceremony say anything about 'feedback' from JPA customers in light of JPA not winning?

Pontius Navigator
9th Dec 2007, 17:34
I wonder why they didn't nominate HRMS? It works and the Help Desk can actually guide you round the system if you get lost.

As a self-service tool that is. As a management tools if has some short comings as most managers do not have the time to actually use it. It is quicker to email someone and ask them about their leave.

I wonder if MFMIS will get a nomination next year. After all it has achieved deferred success several times already - the last only last month.:}

plans123
9th Dec 2007, 18:42
You may find MFMIS has just been cancelled - see here (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=262&page=3)

Pontius Navigator
9th Dec 2007, 18:51
plans123,

Thanks for that. I was doing some really important work on Friday so didn't see the email (building Santa's Grotto).

The wheel goes full circle as I was one of the guys convinced them to keep ALFENS 14 years or so ago!

Wonder if RAFCCIS still works? We fed in some absolutely novel ideas to the developers, like click on the top of a column and it sorts on that column. Seems they hadn't heard or thought of that!

Also have great difficulty trying to get them to understand the difference between 'Operational' computers and 'Admin' ones. The later tend to be one per desk and used by one person. The Operational ones need to be on all the time and available to several people, none of this nonsense of a dedicated operator.

JPA bought us a machine and laser printer. It takes about 3 hours to boot into a different profile before even getting near JPA.

Lamenting Navigator
9th Dec 2007, 19:55
Splutter... I've spilled me beer.... has April 1st come early?

Occasional Aviator
9th Dec 2007, 21:08
Note that the criteria were that it:

"met agreed rollout dates within budget and achieving the key user requirements"

So, if you manage to write your KURs vaguely and fudge them when you bring the thing into service, it looks like you did well.

Anyone from the former DPA recognise this model?

Pontius Navigator
10th Dec 2007, 07:03
Can we nominate ASMA?

Worked. Did more than it said on the tin?

The Beast
11th Dec 2007, 14:40
no, mosty by upsetting RAF officers...and that gets my vote...HAHA!!:}

Jimlad1
12th Dec 2007, 08:07
Also the CS didn't nominate itself - this came through Westminster World - an indpendent political newspaper which has nothing to do with the CS. I believe this came in the area for awards to the CS - subtle but very important difference. Its like accussing the RAF when Air Forces Monthly puts them up for something:ok:

Pontius Navigator
12th Dec 2007, 08:17
And Westminster World just happened to find a press release.

Bit like Air Forces Monthly even.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
12th Dec 2007, 08:45
theprior. Duty Travel - we have stopped making duty trips cos it is a pain to claim

Secondary objective achieved then!

For all you chaps and chapesses who thought the function of the MoD was support to the Front Line Commanders and value for money for the Tax payer, I offer this direct from Truth Central ( http://defenceintranet.diiweb.r.mil.uk/NR/rdonlyres/35CA0808-D27F-47CF-A69C-82E94916F10C/0/announceMODsombre.jpg for those with access);

Fewer logos, stronger brands: Deadline 14 December.

Does your team, workstream or campaign have its own logo? Branding across the Ministry of Defence will change in March 2008. If you want to keep using your organisational logo or campaign brand after this date, externally or internally, you have until 14 December 2007 to submit a business case.
DIN 2007DIN05-045: Defence Brand Streamlining and Moratorium was issued 1 November 2007, and requires all parts of the MOD except the Single Services and the Trading Funds to provide a business case for retention of individual logos and brands. This streamlining exercise is the result of concerns raised in the Capability Review over the lack of a corporate and consistent look and feel to the MOD – and the 250+ logos routinely used across the Department have been identified as a major contributor to this problem.

Second Permanent Under Secretary, Sir Ian Andrews, explained:

"Although many people feel attached to their logos as representative of their team, ultimately we are all part of the Ministry of Defence and are contributing to the delivery of the Defence Vision. The DMB has made very clear that it is determined to considerably reduce the number of brands and logos within the organisation."

An independent team will examine how, why and when these logos are used. Any brand not supported by a valid business case will be replaced with the MOD badge from March 2008.

Business cases should answer the following questions:

What value does the brand or logo offer to the Ministry of Defence?
How does the brand or logo relate to the Defence Vision?
Why do you need a separate identity to the Ministry of Defence?
What level of recognition is there internally and externally: Who is the brand talking to (audiences)? What value does the brand add in those communications? Is there a tangible value to the brand – for example through wider markets?
Is there a statutory requirement for the brand?
Is there research that proves the value of the brand?
Send completed cases to DGMC-Def PR Strategic Marketing 1

A few months back, a bright young thing embedded in a secret joint supply chain referred quite seriously to one of HM ship's logo. She was totally nonplussed when I pointed out that it was a BADGE and not some sort of fashion accessory!

AlJH
12th Dec 2007, 09:06
:mad::mad::mad:

JPA decided to sack me in the middle of summer leave, for no apparent reason. As a result, I didn't get paid for 2 months. I cannot believe it's up for an award.

ExRAFAC
12th Dec 2007, 14:46
"The challenge included maintaining pay and pension operations to over 300,000 members of the armed forces and 350,000 pensioners, whilst simultaneously designing, building, testing and implementing the JPA programme."

Where does the figure of 300,000 servicemen come from? RAF <40K, RN<20K = British Army approx 240K??? Is that right? Do we really have a quarter of a million Pongoes? No wonder JPA is f:mad:ed!!

Tocsin
13th Dec 2007, 16:23
Reservists are also on JPA - that's probably another 40k, but I still can't get the figures up to 300k!