PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing a faithful SD Hat

BackfromIraq
8th Dec 2007, 11:38
I had the misfortune to be Comp'd back from Ops this week and have to attend a funeral a week on Monday. My SD hat is in need of refurbishment, the more so because I can't find a company who make decent new ones (Bates' seem to have folded).

If anyone knows of a company who can either refurbish my old one or sell me a decent new one, I'd be most grateful of the information.

It's my Mother's funeral, so I can't look like a bag of cr@p, but she wanted all serving personnel attending to be in uniform.

Help very much appreciated

BfI

Pontius Navigator
8th Dec 2007, 11:50
http://www.bates-hats.co.uk/

Occasional Aviator
8th Dec 2007, 11:57
Worth phoning ahead, but if you pop in to their Jermyn Street store they should be able to sort you out same day. They were very handy for me a couple of years back when I inadvertently set fire to my SD hat.

6Z3
8th Dec 2007, 12:00
If you're hat size is big and you've got the time (2 days to end of auction) there's a nice looking 2nd hand Bates on ebay here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Early-Jet-Age-RAF-Officers-Cap-Ref-CBQ_W0QQitemZ110192964836QQihZ001QQcategoryZ13983QQtcZphotoQ QcmdZViewItem)

Pontius Navigator
8th Dec 2007, 12:11
6Z3, I didn't realise that AIDU was a hat shop model.

Still given his location and wit . . .

ACW599
8th Dec 2007, 13:08
>I inadvertently set fire to my SD hat.<

That sounds like the basis for a good story . . .

BackfromIraq
8th Dec 2007, 15:11
Very many thanks to all. Things are being sorted. Even the banter helps.

BfI

Background Noise
8th Dec 2007, 15:29
Got my last one form stores - it's pretty smart and much cheaper than any of the tailors (in this country anyway).

ArthurR
8th Dec 2007, 18:44
Occasional Aviator, you have to tell us more, how? why? or what, sounds an interesting story :ok:

was sick in mine once, you tell your story and I'll tell mine.

South Bound
10th Dec 2007, 07:54
Have a rather nice size 57 'Ai Wai Lam' (will check speeeling later) SD hat, in a bag, never worn and never likely to be worn. Might have to pop it on the 'Bay at some point.

teeteringhead
11th Dec 2007, 08:41
There's a place in Peckham (SE London) called something like "The Cardinal Cap Company" which will refurbish - primarily by fitting with new peak - SD caps.

They claim that they actually make the caps for a well-known Saville Row military tailor - when I had one of mine done, the slightly dodgy looking character (well it was Peckham) that took my cap looked under the sweatband and said "Si si, thisa isa one of ours!" (he was Italian).

I'll try and dig out a contact.

Edited to add:

Backfrom Iraq

check PMs for contact details

Teeters

Occasional Aviator
11th Dec 2007, 20:01
Afraid it sounds more interesting than it actually was. Came home in a frustrated state, started ranting at Mrs OA in our cramped kitchen, she clearing up. The smell of burning alerted us to the fact that she'd put it down on the electric ring which had just been used to boil the veg. I do most of the cooking now.

Best wishes to BackFromIraq at the funeral.