PDA

View Full Version : Old photos?

Icarus's Daughter
8th Dec 2007, 09:36
Hi - I'm new here and wondered if anyone can tell me about old photos - my father flew PR9s and I have recently inherited a large number of photos, presumably taken by him and others, of aircraft, aircraft carriers, etc, etc

Are they likely to be of interest - should I be looking for a photographic archive for them? The majority were taken in the 1960s and early 1970s - are they likely to be considered 'sensitive'? Should I have them at all?!

Many thanks

Green Flash
8th Dec 2007, 09:53
ID
Welcome. Do any of the photo's have anything written/stamped on the back? Anything that looks like a official serial number, a stamp or any sort of security wording? If you can have them scanned and stored online then post a link here I'm sure that you will get lots of advice. Good luck.
Edited to add: Maybe a trip to the RAF Museum (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/)at Hendon might be in order? I'm sure they have a large collection of images and might be able to help. Give them a ring and discuss?

Icarus's Daughter
8th Dec 2007, 10:15
I've just scanned this one quickly as an example (yes, I need a bigger scanner!) It has RAF Official/Crown Copyright Reserved :O := and the station and date stamped on the back

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/Alisa_C_2006/meteorsfrom85sqn2.jpg

Green Flash
8th Dec 2007, 10:33
Wow! Nice one:ok: Thanks.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
8th Dec 2007, 10:42
Ah! 85 Sqn's MK8s.

Exrigger
8th Dec 2007, 10:49
Nice photo, in the lowest aircraft the pilot does not appear to be looking where he is going :)

Icarus's Daughter
8th Dec 2007, 11:42
Thanks for the welcome and the replies - I'll try and limit my dumb questions to two a day! :ok:

..and I think the chap at the bottom may well have nodded off!

Desert Diner
8th Dec 2007, 11:47
Beautiful photo. Thank you for sharing it.

Oh, and welcome:)

Green Flash
8th Dec 2007, 12:19
ID - Your questions are most certainly not dumb! This forum has a mass of experienced (ie very very old!) military Ppruners who will be happy to help.:) If the rest of your photo's are of the same quality as the Meteors then many of us would be fascinated to see them.

Gainesy
8th Dec 2007, 12:29
I'll second that, they would be much appreciated ID.

Icarus's Daughter
8th Dec 2007, 12:41
They are a real mixture of quality, depending on what the subject is - there's a deck crash on the USS Saratoga, for example, which is very poor quality in comparison to the Meteors, because it's taken into the sun at dusk, in colour, and a couple of the shots of the Moskva are a bit wobbly (well, you wouldn't hang about, would you? :)) so I will try and get them professionally scanned and link to an album.

nacluv
8th Dec 2007, 13:02
I, for one, would certainly like to see more of these kind of photos.

If you look at some of the other threads in this forum, you will see that ones with nostalgic and/or photographic content are VERY popular. If you can get them into Photobucket or similar, and post a link in here then you will instantly win this week's popularity award, I'm sure.

You're off to a good start!

Thanks, and good luck with the scanning.

Background Noise
8th Dec 2007, 15:32
Nice photo, in the lowest aircraft the pilot does not appear to be looking where he is going

That looks like the never ending problem of whether to look over or under the canopy arch in line astern.

brickhistory
8th Dec 2007, 17:16
Great photo! Looking forward to more.............

NickB
12th Dec 2007, 14:32
Fantastic - please post some more!

iccarus
12th Dec 2007, 15:21
Young lady...

I believe you have made a mistake.....

I am your father.......................... (said in the tone of darth vader)

Yellow6
16th Jan 2008, 13:14
A very heartwarming photograph of 85 Squadron in the air flying the venerable old Meteor.

There is a rumour abounding that the Hexagon is to be resurrected and brought back from extinction!

FCWhippingBoy
16th Jan 2008, 13:19
Well this is a "Rumour Network"!

Do tell what is this rumour? Who is (possibly) getting the 85 badge?

The Adjutant
16th Jan 2008, 13:45
FCWhippingboy

Well at a guess, and I agree it is a bit of a long shot, I would think that a new 85 Sqn would get the 85 sqn badge. But I might be wrong, I often am.

Chris Kebab
16th Jan 2008, 14:01
Great photo, lets see some more!

FCWhippingBoy
16th Jan 2008, 14:34
I asked for that one :ugh:

Ok, time to rephrase ... according to rumour, what will the new 85 Sqn be equipped with, and where will they be based?

(and if anyone says aircraft on an airfield, I'll cry!)

Jackonicko
16th Jan 2008, 16:45
The new Beech 350s, perhaps? At Wadders, as a guess?

Yellow6
4th Apr 2008, 16:10
Better seek confirmation from the hierarchy at a flying training establishment in Yorkshire! "We" want 85 back in the air, so join our campaign...

Post your support now!

Yellow6
4th Apr 2008, 21:11
The slumped appearance was just the frustration of being told that on return to base the Squadron was being disbanded again, however in those days 85 seemed to have a charmed existence getting re-designated more frequently than an inquiry into Politicians expense claims.:ok:

hval
4th Apr 2008, 21:23
I thought I recognised WK654. take a look here....

http://www.cnam.co.uk/html/act_meteorwk654.htm

The City of Norwich Aviation Museum.

There's one place that would certainly be interested in the photograph that you have scanned & posted.

Nice photograph & thank you. Brings back memories of Woodvale... Summers were summers back then.

TEEEJ
4th Apr 2008, 21:59
Superb! Please post more!

TJ