PDA

View Full Version : UK US Nato headset plug

leee
7th Dec 2007, 07:30
Hi,
Ive been trying to find the wiring diagram for the UK and US Nato headset plug, i know its only a couple of wires switched around but i cant seem to find one.
And the size difference for the two types of heli plug that are available.
Would anyone out there have a link or a diagram they could email me please??
Cheers Lee...

tyl3r
7th Dec 2007, 11:03
Rather than email, could we post here... :)

I have a perfectly good helmet on which the microphone doesn't work. It'd be useful to know the pin-outs before I wreck the thing with 3rd-rate electronics knowledge... All that google has brought me in the past is endless offers of NATO UK-US adapters and 1 definitely incorrect diagram.:ugh:

Thanks for any pointers.

kevin_mayes
7th Dec 2007, 12:43
Hi, Guy's

Pin 1 = Microphone Positive
Pin 2 = Headphone Positive
Pin 3 = Microphone Earth
Pin 4 = Headphone Earth

Pin 1 is the tip of the plug, pin 4 being the base ring.

Will look out a PDF tonight that has all the different versions on it.

Regards

Kevin.

muffin
7th Dec 2007, 12:55
US Nato (silver)
Tip 1 Mic ground
2 Audio +
3 Mic +
4 Audio ground

UK Nato (bronze)
Tip 1 Mic +
2 Mic Ground
3 Audio +
4 Audio ground

Um... lifting...
7th Dec 2007, 12:58
http://www.mobileone.com.au/headset/images/plugs/u-174-u-300.jpg
U-174/U (TP-101)
HELICOPTER HEADSET / HELMET PLUG
. This is NOT a NATO plug, it is a NEXUS plug (sometimes referred to as a US NATO plug) and it is not compatible with the UK NATO plug below. TheU-93/A (TP-102)plug is the same mating shaft with a larger back shell for thicker cable. Wiring,
Tip(1) Mic low (2) Ear high (3) Mic high (4) Ear low

http://www.mobileone.com.au/headset/images/plugs/uk-nato-plug-300.jpg
PLUG 671
UK or EUROPEAN NATO PLUG
This plug will not mate with the Nexus range, the mating shaft diameter is 0.4mm bigger. This is a Mil spec brass plug, NSN:5935-99-946-6652. Wiring, Tip Mic, Ring 1 Mic, Ring 2 Ear, Ring 3 Ear, (Ring 1 next to tip) Mating socket, Socket 626, NSN:5935-99-949-1940

tyl3r
7th Dec 2007, 13:02
Bang on. That's just what I wanted. Thank you very much, everyone. :ok:

leee
7th Dec 2007, 13:40
Thank you very much..

Lee...

Shawn Coyle
7th Dec 2007, 16:25
Many years ago when I went to ETPS, I was more than slightly surprised to learn that I couldn't plug my Canadian / US style helmet into a British helicopter. So much for NATO standardization....
Then I went to work at the US Naval Test Pilot School and couldn't plug US Navy helmets into other US Navy helicopters...

Just like there is no NATO definition of what a standard stretcher for medevac is....

handysnaks
7th Dec 2007, 16:29
Just like there is no NATO definition of what a standard stretcher for medevac is

Back in the early eighties I recall that a British Army standard GS stretcher only fitted in the Lynx stretcher fit Cradle (I think it could take three, one above the other, diagonally)! If you cut about 3 inches off each stretcher handle!:rolleyes:

Shawn Coyle
7th Dec 2007, 16:36
Funny about the Lynx - that's where I found out there was no NATO standard stretcher.
Seems like the Army / Navy requirement for the Lynx called for it to be able to carry a NATO standard stretcher. The Lynx dimensions were also being very heavily defined by the military, resulting in a problem. How to get the stretcher into the cabin. Someone clever in Westlands discovered there was no NATO definition - everyone was using the US military stretcher size by default without it being written down, it seems. So they were able to get out of the requirement - a US stretcher will fit diagonally, it seems. The UK then somehow adopted the Neil Robertson (name may be wrong) stretcher, which was basically strengthened cardboard with no bracing to make a flat surface. when you picked someone up, the thing basically curled around the body.
Worked OK unless you had a shoulder or back injury, as happened to the first F-18 accident pilots who happened to land next to Middle Wallop and get picked up in those stretchers...
(sorry - I know this is off-thread, but it shows the issues of interoperability)

Um... lifting...
7th Dec 2007, 17:34
Currently fly two different civil machines... one uses a U-174/U into a high-impedance audio system, the other uses a NATO plug into a low-impedance audio system. Try that with a Bose X. This is why the answer to this question was readily available. The complexity'd make you weep, it truly would.:{

Pilot DAR
8th Dec 2007, 01:28
Yeah, frustrating,

My helmet works perfectly in two new Canadian Schweizer 300's, but when I plugged into a Canadian H500D, it would not work. I had to have the ramp attendant quickly swap my helmet for a headset, as we were already running.

Pilot DAR

perfrej
11th Dec 2007, 06:40
Folks,

Regardless of the plug, there are basically two impedances used on audio systems i aircraft. One correpsponds to using a dynamic microphone, one to an elecret type. Best thing to have in your helmet is a dynamic microphone (better sound quality, generally) and a switchable adapter. Apart from the plug diameter, this will make it work in all audio systems. The amplifier is a simple little thingy with one transistor and a few other components.

Dynamic
~ 250 ohm Impedance
Usually differential, which means that it has a natural noise cancellation for sound coming in equally on the front and the mouth end of the membrane.

Elecret
~ 5 ohm impedance
Needs power supply from intercom. Smaller in size. Sharper in sound, rough at the high end.

Also, if you experience problems with sound levels in the passengers' ears, try using exactly the same model headsets for all passengers as they are usually connected in parallel. Good old units like the KMA24-series also run the co-pilot in parallel with the passengers when the pilot isolates himself and the co-pilot ends up chatting with the passengers.

Just my two bucks worth (inflation).

/p

500e
11th Dec 2007, 15:32
Dynamic to electret amp 1 transistor,
Wont post, back to drawing board so to speak:*