PDA

View Full Version : Ormond Beach Aviation

shocks85
6th Dec 2007, 20:54
Has anybody heard of Ormond Beach Aviation in Florida. They are advertising JAA training up tp frozen ATPL level and am wondering is there anybody out there who has been or might know anything about them as I am considering it as an option for training in America.

EK4457
6th Dec 2007, 21:03
You must be kidding, right!?

There is more OBA stuff on here than you can shake a not very expensive but controversial stick at.

Need I say, try a search? From memory, it's very cheap but it seems that you only get what you pay for in this world.

But, at the end of the day, a license is a license.

**DISCLAIMER**

I've never been and am only going off the thread and what my intructor told me about it. Apparantly they're big on litigation on t'other side of the pond.

EK

shocks85
6th Dec 2007, 21:22
EK,
thanks for your reply. What I am trying to find out though is the quality of training there. I have searched and do know the prices and course structure ect, but am looking to know if it is a good school to train at by people who have actually been or know of people who have. I'm sure you can understand wanting to find this out before pumping thousands of euro into something that might not be worth s**t when I'm finished.

ric180880
6th Dec 2007, 22:57
Search for Ormond Beach Aviation on here - u'll find pages and pages of info.

agayo70
7th Dec 2007, 00:22
Ormond Beach is not very far from Daytona beach. I will recommend Pheonix East Aviation...they have a fine program there and can train you up to JAA ATP frozen. Speak with Mike Kolendo.
CHeers
or check out Pea.com

captain_rossco
7th Dec 2007, 17:22
OBA are good, quality of training was very good when i was last there and i'll be returning for some more florida hospitality in Feb!

CR

AlphaMale
7th Dec 2007, 17:48
You'll find there is no 'official thread' like you get with other schools as it was deleted by an admin/moderator. I'm not sure why but it may have something to do with the crashes they keep having? :confused:

mcgoo
7th Dec 2007, 18:09
"the crashes they keep having"

not really fair to blame the school though, if students choose to ignore the school's SOP's, their instructors teachings, the control tower, then its their own fault I would say.

cawka
7th Dec 2007, 19:46
Did my PPL there. Nothing bad to say. Good instructors, finished my course on time, didn't pay any extras. Heading back to OBA in January for CPL-ME.

Warrior2
8th Dec 2007, 10:41
The problem is not with the school, its the students, They see a price and expect to get a licence for that price!!! no work attached!!! nonsense!

has anyone heard of that????

I have been toand i found the facities excelent. The school does not crash, the students do. The accomodation at OBA is second to none, The airport was a short cycle from the house. The aircraft were all brand new. The prices were excelent. Instruction was top class. Need i say more?

Some people arent cut out for flying and unfortunatly most of these people end up at this school because they happen to be the cheapest.

Beleive me, there was one student, who was told 100 times NO TOUCH AND GOES SOLO, and he didnt, untill he did his night training, and he was doing touch and goes, when we asked him what he was doing, he replied noone told him not to do touch and goes at night.
There are very few ex students on this forum because most of them are now working with airlines.

In total i got my ppl for €5630. with the exception of the insurance which is optional cost 100$

Yours Sincerely,
Andrew Power

AlphaMale
8th Dec 2007, 15:45
not really fair to blame the school though, if students choose to ignore the school's SOP's,

I'm not blaming the school, I've never been there. But I kept a close eye on the OBA thread and then after a student crashed a plane the thread was taken down? :confused:

I have the cash for my PPL and ATPL exams but until I can afford to pay for the rest I'll stay put and use this time to research and study before taking the plunge.

I'm 80% sure I'll do the PPL in the states and with statements like "In total i got my ppl for €5630" (£4,080) coming from a pilots that has done been there, it gives me hope of getting my PPL for less than £5k this summer.

mcgoo
8th Dec 2007, 15:53
The crash thread is still up:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288703&highlight=ormond+beach

nobbyy
9th Dec 2007, 19:17
"The aircraft were all brand new" Really? The Warrior's I flew last week were anything but "brand new" ;) They fly well enough though (mostly).

Warrior2
9th Dec 2007, 20:32
well, OBA do try to sell their libertys and they are a wonderfull machine, not my fault u didnt take them up on it

nobbyy
10th Dec 2007, 06:16
"not my fault u didnt take them up on it" ? This isn't really relevant to the discussion is it? I chose the Warrior because I have an Archer at home... The fact is OBA do have a fleet of new XL's, but not *all* their aircraft are new, sorry to appear to be pedantic ;)