PDA

View Full Version : CFMI Eats FOD

reptile
6th Dec 2007, 12:45
A question to B738 Drivers or others knowledgeable about CFMI engines:

I was waiting behind a 738 at a runway hold and saw the #1 engine ingest a plastic bag (shopping carrier bag). Small pieces were quickly spewed out the back. I advised the crew, who thanked me and then proceeded with their take-off. Would ingesting a plastic bag be cause for concern on the CFMI or is that a non-event?

keesje
6th Dec 2007, 13:53
I don't know the procedures in this case but I know the CFM56-5 and -7 (A320 and 737NG) are extremely rugged and reliable engines.

Even better the Snecma and GE expected them to be.

The maintenance intervals keep getting stretched to the dislike of the engine maintenance shops..

CFMI : a shining success story of US - French cooperation

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/contractor_images/klm/3_ENGINE-CFM56-11.jpg

lomapaseo
6th Dec 2007, 14:24
A question to B738 Drivers or others knowledgeable about CFMI engines:

I was waiting behind a 738 at a runway hold and saw the #1 engine ingest a plastic bag (shopping carrier bag). Small pieces were quickly spewed out the back. I advised the crew, who thanked me and then proceeded with their take-off. Would ingesting a plastic bag be cause for concern on the CFMI or is that a non-event?

Forget about the ruggedness, that's a subjective word at best in its use about judgements in this case.

AS long as yu saw it come out, probably no big deal as it must have passed through the fan discharge. About the only concern is a tempoary blockgage if it gets stuck on some stator vanes in the core. I assume that the crew really didn't even see a bobble on their instruments.

reptile
6th Dec 2007, 14:34
only concern is a tempoary blockgage if it gets stuck on some stator vanes in the core

With a plastic bag being light weight and rather flimsy, how would a piece stuck to a stator vane show up on the engine indications?

P.S. It did appear to have passed through the fan discharge.

spannersatcx
6th Dec 2007, 15:35
Doubt it would cause any physical damage, however it reminds me of a problem on a 757 I think many many years ago, constant hot starts and unable to make full power. After many component changes traced the fault to a sensor covered/blocked by a piece of melted plastic (preumably a bag).

františek dobrota
6th Dec 2007, 15:51
I agree, and IDG air/oil cooler can be blocked too - causing high temp./disconnect...Turnback from taxi, engine shutdown and quick visual inspection can solve this situation- but with delay...

Beeline
6th Dec 2007, 15:55
I reckon the guy in the pic is in breach of a few H&S laws there!

I did the same thing many moons ago, the boss said put a hard hat on in case it drops off the crane, my reply was why bother!! ;)

Al_ Fresco
6th Dec 2007, 16:12
The 757, if I remember correctly does have a probe at the back of the engine as it uses EPR to set thrust and needs a probe in each end of the engine to measure the difference in inlet/outlet pressure. The CFM56 only has one small probe in the inlet as it uses N1 to set thrust, so the chances are a bag would have just wistled through and nobody was the wiser, especially as the bypass is 5:1 so a lot of air going around the core.
As with all these things, who really knows for sure but for pure airmanship, better go back to stand and have it checked out by an Engineer.If the engine developed a fault on takeoff on account of it, it would be hard to justify in court!

Al.

spannersatcx
6th Dec 2007, 17:23
I reckon the guy in the pic is in breach of a few H&S laws there!

I did the same thing many moons ago, the boss said put a hard hat on in case it drops off the crane, my reply was why bother!!

Laughed at that one, very funny.:ok:

perkin
6th Dec 2007, 18:03
Speaking of longevity of the CFM-56 engines, am I correct in my memory that I've read somewhere that a CFM-56 engine is responsible for operating the highest number of hours without being removed for attention? I can't remember the exact figure, so I won't guess, but it was astonishing, even to a layperson :)

Some interesting facts and figures on the CFM website for those interested http://www.cfm56.com/index.php

Capt. Inop
6th Dec 2007, 19:45
Speaking of longevity of the CFM-56 engines, am I correct in my memory that I've read somewhere that a CFM-56 engine is responsible for operating the highest number of hours without being removed for attention? I can't remember the exact figure, so I won't guess, but it was astonishing, even to a layperson
15 Jun 1997: A CFM56-3 engine powering a Boeing 737-500 with Braathens S.A.F.E. reached 19,855 cycles without a single shop visit, setting a new world's record for time on wing. The previous record of 19,841 cycles was held by a CFM56-3 engine in service with Southwest Airlines. The CFM56-3C1 engine, which entered Braathens' fleet in October 1991, was removed after nearly six years of service due to life-limited parts in the core.
:ok:
Halfway down this page:
http://www.b737.org.uk/737classic.htm

perkin
6th Dec 2007, 20:52
I knew I'd seen it somewhere! :ok: