PDA

View Full Version : Fresh CPL - Questions about job in India

LTF1981
6th Dec 2007, 07:59
Hi all,

I am currently training in the US and working towards my CPL.

On completion I plan on entering the job market in India.

I am a US Citizen of Indian origin.

My questions are:
(1) Do airlines in India hire fresh CPL holders as Ex-Pat FO's?
(2) If not would getting a Person of Indian Origin (PIO) or a Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card help?
(3) I know there is a 10+2 requirement with Maths and Physics for license conversion. Is there a minimum score required in the said subjects or an overall to qualify?
(4) I have done 2 years of a 3 year engineering diploma [in India itself] after my 10th Grade. Would that be acceptable? [Both years had math but only the first year had Physics however there were plently of engineering subjects]

Can't wait to complete my training and be a part of this wonderful industry!

Any advice on approach and answers deeply appreciated!

abs_kols
7th Dec 2007, 15:17
well im currently visiting India from uk to get a perspective on jobs here. it turns out that allot and by that i mean a hugeee number of Indians are currently in the pipeline for getting their cpl but most already do. all you need is a 10+2 pass and a equivalence certificates from some indian universities board. a OIC card would help otherwise you'd have to get a work visa on confirmation of job acceptance. one of my friends has his cpl and is looking for a job. apparently 140 cpl holders for 2 places in kingfisher airlines and thats only on one of many days interview. it is better to start contacting companies now so they know you're coming. and try and set yourself apart. jobs are expected to come around but it wont be as easy as it was some time back

hpcock
10th Dec 2007, 06:53
LFT

I currently work in India for Kingfisher on their Airbus fleet. I too am an OCI holder, but from the UK.

To answer your points:

1) Yes - if you are Type rated at mimimum, then you can work as an expat F/O

2) If you acquire an OCI you will be employed as an Indian on local terms, which frankly are not that different to expat F/O terms. However, you will receive more benefits

3) You need to have passed maths & physics at an eqivalent level in accordance to where you were educated. e.g A-levels in the UK

4) No

Good luck
HPC

LTF1981
11th Dec 2007, 09:29
ABS and HPC,

Thank you for your advice!

LTF1981
11th Dec 2007, 09:32
If I were to take the chance of getting my self type rated, do I also require Time on Type [beyond the standard $15-$16K packages in the US]?

Any advice on which type would open more job ops? Boeing v/s AB?

hpcock
11th Dec 2007, 09:59
More airbuses in India at present & definately in the future - In my opinion a nicer a/c to fly - tried my hands at both

Ask the various operators before you buy a TR. At present, some guys are being taken on with a dry TR.

Good luck
HPC

Rahul B737
17th Dec 2007, 03:49
Het Hpcock can help me. Hi this Rahul from Dallas in the US. Is it a fact that you will be on local terms if yoy have a OCI. I am a US Citzen but born in India and am going to apply for my OCI if that is the case.
Do you still have to get Indian DGCA Security Clearances etc etc or is the OCI a security clearance in itself.
Also The Indian consulate here tells me I still cannot apply for Air India as it is a Public Sector Unit and OCI's are not eligible.
Does anyone know anything about this?

Rahul B737
17th Dec 2007, 03:55
Hi, Hey hpcock,
Can you please tell me what does a Dry TR mean?
Also I am confused myself as to which aircraft to get a Type Rating on, the B737NG or the A320. I do realise that there are a lot of A320 in India but I have a operator I am in talks with about a possible B737 F/O position.
Hasnt promised me anything but makes me think twice if there are a lot more A320's in India better to do a A320 TR.
Also can you tell me if they require you to have 300 hours or so on type or wud just a basic Type Rating only suffice.

LTF1981
17th Dec 2007, 10:15
By Dry TR or Dry Type Rating, I am guessing that hpcock means a type rating without any acutal time on type. [Same as the "basic Type Rating" you mention]

My personal suggestion is that if you can get a job as a 737 F/O without the TR, go for it.. Why would you then take a TR, pay for it and restrict your options? <Just my thoughts>

Rahul B737
24th Dec 2007, 03:43
Hey HP
Are they really taking you with a Dry Type Rating.
What are their other requirements.

Rahul B737
24th Dec 2007, 03:52
Oh this operator wants me to do a B737 Type Rating Frirst and only then will they even think about employing me.
Lately they havent even being replying to any e-mails I send them.
Hence was thinking of A320.
Also there seem to be a lot of A320's in the Gulf and far east.
Was going through a lot of recruiters sites and actually counted the no.of job positions for both aircrafts and the A320 does seem to be more popular.
I am also a little awary of buying Line time. Seems to me the candidate always gets scammed or conned some way or the other.
Can someone shed some light on Eagle Jet International's B737 and A320 F/O Programmes please.