PDA

View Full Version : RAF get a lift from Sixth C-17

Lyneham Lad
4th Dec 2007, 14:28
Given the Gov/MOD current difficulties in the media, I'm surprised more was not made of yesterday's announcement regarding the purchase of a sixth C17:-

Article (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=A0C84BEF-1143-EC82-2EBE583219BC7764)

The RAF’s ability to transport heavy equipment and supplies to troops in theatre was significantly enhanced with the purchase of a sixth C-17 Globemaster transport aircraft. The purchase of the aircraft, through a £130 million contract with the Boeing Company, was announced today by Baroness Taylor.

LL

warty99
4th Dec 2007, 14:32
To a bog-standard journalist, the purchase of one new aircraft doesn't sound very exciting... I'm sure the MOD press office did what they could, but it's a difficult story to sell - particularly at a time when the media are looking for tales of woe and underfunding.

LFFC
4th Dec 2007, 16:14
This is old news; it was announced back in July!

See this link: C17 No 6 Inbound (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=285661&highlight=extra)

I can't understand why it resurfaced yesterday. :rolleyes: But I suppose if you announce something enough times.......

harrogate
4th Dec 2007, 16:29
It had half a page in the tabloids when it was announced back in the summer.

The government are clearly trying to plaster the battered image of the MoD by trying to make this story newsworthy again.

It's gonna take a lot more than this.

dallas
4th Dec 2007, 16:32
The USAF only got 180ish of them and were a bit miffed they didn't get the full 225.

Imagine what we could do with 10% of that...

harrogate
4th Dec 2007, 16:42
... yeah, we could raise BILLIONS to repair the Northern Rock financial crater by selling them on to the Saudis.

tonker
4th Dec 2007, 19:01
Why would we want to support a private bank by flogging the best aircraft the RAF has?

Reminisent of coal and steel i'm afraid, wasn't a going concern and thus went(or soon will do). Move on

harrogate
5th Dec 2007, 17:25
Sarcasm seldom works on the internet, in my experience.

tonker
7th Dec 2007, 11:48
Your right, so don't bother