PDA

View Full Version : Colour Blindness

eoincarey
3rd Dec 2007, 19:07
Hey guys,

Unfortunately I am red/green colour blind (yes, that old chestnut), but successfully took the Lantern test at Gatwick a year or so ago and as such can qualify for my Class 1 medical.
I know the RAF/RN/Army aircrew literature states normal colour vision (tested by the Ishihara plates) as a requirement, but is there any way around this requirement with this lantern test pass? Anybody ever managed it?

Cheers

Eoin
(who knows that he has red hair.....)

vector801
3rd Dec 2007, 20:23
Had the same issue when I applied for the FAA in 99. Failed Ishihara plates miserably. I was then given a pair of Red Skiing Goggles and told to sit in the Cranwell sun for 10 minutes.

Went back in to do the Martin Lantern test and passed 100%. I was deemed then and there fit to fly. I also hold a CAA Class 1 as i'm an Air Traffic Controller with NATS so I guess it qualifies across the board.

Hope this helps, V801

Wycombe
3rd Dec 2007, 21:51
Seems times have changed.

25 years ago, I failed Isihara and passed Lantern, but left OASC as a very unhappy 18 year old who was "permanently unfit aircrew" :mad:

Also tried Air Traffic (NATS), told I was no good for that either :mad:

But I should look on the bright side, I did manage to convince a few MO's and SATCO's that I should be allowed a 600A :* on the grounds that I have never jumped a red light.

Inspector G.
4th Dec 2007, 08:49
Although this is not a real answer, it's perhaps a good reason to contact your recruiter and find out for sure. When finishing up at high school a good mate went for the RNZAF (back when they flew a bit quicker..). He was ruled colour deficient thanks to those diabolical Ishihara tests. However, prior to this he had gained his class 1 medical after passing the Holmes Wright A lantern test, a similar situation to your own I believe.

Anyway, after chatting to their medical staff via the recruiter they were happy to accept his application as the RNZAF uses the HW-A as their standard of colour testing. He sucked at the interview though so lucked out, but the point is that while the Ishihara is used as a colour screening test, in the case of the RNZAF (and perhaps others?) the HW-A is the definitive test. Being that you are obviously red/green safe, and that is the deficiency they are trying to weed out, I think that you may be alright depending on what the policy is, so definitely contact your recruitment office and find out for sure!

mothflyer
4th Dec 2007, 09:17
Intresting thread as I too am colour deficient 'unsafe' when it came to the CAA and RAF.

Anyway, I knew I was colour blind before I went into the CAA but didnt tell them as I had heard they only give you those dreaded cards to fail you. So, and this may help some people, if you fail the cards they then test you on the Holmes Wright and in the case of the RAF (at the time) the giles archer too.

Further to this as I was at the RAF station for a CAA medical back in the days when Cranwell were earning a bit of extra cash for themselves, the head of the medical division wrote me a kind letter to the CAA stipulating that although I failed the tests for the RAF class 1, I should be deemed to fly safely in the GA world. That letter seems to work wonders with all the CAA medical examiners but obviously not the Class 1!

Um, not sure if any of that was any use really. :zzz::(

Reader not a writer
5th Dec 2007, 00:39
Sorry if my memory fails me in the termonology detail, but this is my story.

Passed (1981) the University Air Squadron (UAS) selection but was deferred to Central Medical Establishment (CME) for further examination as I was "considered" blue-green deficient on the plates.

Undertook the Lantern Test @ CME and passed "red-green safe". Did 2 years on UAS before joining RAF via Biggin Hill selection and more thorough medical. Failed the plates again but was accepted as I had previously passed the Lantern Test at CME, which was regarded as MECCA in those days.

Served 18 years with the RAF, did my ATPL and went for my Class 1 medical for the CAA, with an accredited AME who was an RAF doctor.

This time I failed the plates a bit more than before, with some strange looks from the Doc. He passed me because I had previously been certified "safe red-green" on the Lantern Test, which by all accounts is the definitive TEST and lasts for life...(I dont know if that is factually correct!)

Dont know if this helps and I dont want to give faulse hope. But if I were in your unfortunate situation I would keep trying.

OCCWMF
5th Dec 2007, 10:57
Good luck whatever happens.

airborne_artist
5th Dec 2007, 13:10
Another one who won't get my Pprune moniker, then :}

N Joe
5th Dec 2007, 18:45
a-a

Even I get your moniker and I'm CP4 unsafe (with two exclamation marks) so if he can't see it, there's no hope for him.

And I don't understand why I'm not allowed an F600A. The traffic lights are the same colours as on the normal roads (without amber) and I know that the permanent reds are red so what's the problem?

Maybe that's why I'm just an:

N Joe

Tartan Stazi
5th Dec 2007, 19:13
I joined up in 1991, was identified as CP3 (red/green CB) but passed the lantern test at Biggin Hill in 1988 prior to my Flying Scholarship. Ended up GR4s but cannot be a loadmaster or a Bandsman!!!