PDA

View Full Version : Logbook Binding help?

Fintastic
3rd Dec 2007, 19:06
I have just filled my current RAF logbook and would like to get it bound and combined with a new one. Can anyone provide contact details for someone who still does this please? Thank you.

edward england
3rd Dec 2007, 19:55
I used a chap in Somerset cant remember his first name, but his initials and surname were R Bond and he was on 01935 827762. Not used him in years, but he did me a good job.
Good luck!

Bob Viking
3rd Dec 2007, 19:58
Anyone any idea roughly how much such a service might cost. I was considering a similar thing the other day.
BV:)

Uncle Ginsters
3rd Dec 2007, 20:18
Having mine done now here (http://www.templebookbinders.co.uk/ie.htm) - two volumes combined. Estimate is about £60.

Uncle G:ok:

MaxAOB
3rd Dec 2007, 20:27
Use the bloke in somerset, there was an extensive thread on here a while ago with his new details as he moved out of the shed in the garden and moved to an industrial estate. He did mine about 12 years ago and did a fantastic job, very reasonable as well charged £18 for a complete set of new pages, leather binding and gold blocking - i gave him £25 because it looked so good. Only trouble was getting away as he is such a spotter. He should be in the new years honours list for services to military aviation. ;)

L J R
4th Dec 2007, 02:36
Aberdeen University Book Binding - £70 (including breaking up 4 logbooks and combining all section 1 together, all section 2 together etc...)

Really nice job and now have a 'large' personalised Logbook - complete with Gold embossed Name etc..

Took a short while to make and had to go personally to check work mid way through.

foormort
4th Dec 2007, 03:32
The National Epilieptic Centre in Chalfont St Peter, Bucks has a dedicated book binding shop. A lot of the folks have suffered severe head injuries and are recovering there. It is the stepping stone to getting them back on their feet and working again. Great service and super bunch of folks. They did my fathers log books some years back so best to give them a ring to see if the service is still offered.

Low Ball
4th Dec 2007, 07:02
I used the British Legion in their village, Enham Alamein just north of Andover, they have or had a complete book binding and repair service. This was some years ago and its probabley worth a call and visit to make sure they know what you want. They were used extensivley by pilots at Middle wallop when I was there and all seemed very pleased. Sorry no available phone numbers.

LB

R 21
4th Dec 2007, 15:42
RJ Bond in Somerset

I used him and he did a fantastic job added a complete new log books worth of pages to mine, rebound, gold lettering looking very smart.

Grey'npointy
4th Dec 2007, 18:18
Mr Bond of Somerset did mine 5 years back - and he did a superb job. He scanned my old style pages for typeface and size and produced new ones, then broke up and re-stuck them all in the right order. I have seen others done from a company in Cambridge (costing twice the price) that look tatty, with odd-sized pages and the medical/IRT etc pages of the new bit not co-located with the old.

Mr Bond cannot be recommended highly enough.

GnP

Inginear
4th Dec 2007, 18:41
From their website http://www.enham.co.uk/

ENHAM BINDERS

For all your bespoke requirements for a range of professional binders, contact Enham Binders on 01264 345826 or why not visit our website:

www.bindersdirect.com (http://www.bindersdirect.com/)

;)
(http://www.bindersdirect.com/)

MG
9th Dec 2007, 15:26
I used Mr Bond in Somerset about 3 years ago and he charged £50. Extensive choice of leather styles/colours and whatever additional pages or sections that you wish.

Bob Viking
20th Apr 2009, 09:51
Has anyone on here had contact with Mr Bond recently (ie within the last couple of months). He's had my logbook for a little while and I can't seem to get hold of him! I'm hoping that I'm just trying him at the wrong time and that nothing serious has occured!
I've tried the usual number listed on this thread but if anyone has any other means of getting hold of him it would be greatly appreciated
BV:ooh:

Charlie Griffiths
20th Apr 2009, 15:29
I had comms about a month ago, having submitted my logbook at the start of Jan. It took 8 weeks, and he still hasn't sent me my box, so I am still trying to contact him. No luck in the last week, but I know he has been busy. In my experience, he does reply to messages - eventually!

Bob Viking
20th Apr 2009, 16:13
It's not just me then!
He's had it for quite a while now. I think about 6-8 weeks so I was becoming a little concerned!
You have given me heart though. I didn't want to contemplate life without it!
BV:ooh:

Sloppy Link
20th Apr 2009, 16:54
Bond also for me, however, for such a skilled artisan his sevices are very much in demand which results in long waiting times. I am in the 12 week bracket now and he is not answering his phone either! A pal popped in last week and spoke face to face so he is still working. The telephone number given earlier is correct. He quoted £70 but said it would depend on the finished job, I had three logbooks, three different types so quite complicated as sizes were different, section numbering was all screwed up and so on.

Bob Viking
20th Apr 2009, 16:59
Much appreciated. Now feeling much better.
I wasn't necessarily impatient. Just a little concerned!
BV:O

seafuryfan
20th Apr 2009, 19:49
Mr Bond combined three log books for me. A very good job and well worth £50.

ormeside
21st Apr 2009, 15:56
When I was on 205 at Changi, I, and others, had their log books bound at Changi Jail ( You could also have your cars resprayed!!) Over the years the bindings perished so I went to a man here in Llandudno, Paul C Delrue and he did a first class job. Costly though -£165. His number 01492 879270. Hope this helps. Ormeside aka bravolima!!:bored:

bast0n
22nd Apr 2009, 16:59
R J Bond Bookbinding
14 North St Work Shops
Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
Somerset
TA14 6QR

Tel: 01935-827762

I live not more than 25 minutes away so anyone who is having heart attacks waiting, I could call in to see if all is well. Let me know.:)

Bob Viking
22nd Apr 2009, 17:08
Thanks for the offer. The replies above have re-assured me that he's just a busy chap who doesn't always get to the phone in time!
I'll give it a little while yet, but if I haven't heard anything in a few weeks I might just take you up on your kind offer!
BV:ok:

Bob Viking
28th May 2009, 13:29
Thank God for that.
It arrived a couple of days ago and a very good job he's made of it too!
Worth the money for anyone else who's thinking of having it done.
BV:ok:

indecisive
10th Nov 2010, 20:12
I know this question has been asked several times before, however I have not found a recent post, so am trawling for assistance.

Does anyone know of anywhere/anyone that still has an old style F414 RAF Logbook, available? I am after one that was issued before the page sizes changed (I believe pre 1998). Happy to make a contribution if required as I am keen to ensure that I can get a reasonable binding job done. Some spare old section 5 pages would work if anyone knows where you can get them from.

Any help/steers gratefully received

Rapscallion
21st Jun 2012, 17:20
At the risk of repeating old requests, has anyone had any contact with the elusive R J Bond recently? He's had my logbook for a long time, I need it back very soon and cannot track him down by any means!

Thanks for any info...:ugh:

xert
21st Jun 2012, 19:43
JS Wilson & Sons in Cambridge.
I've heard he can also recreate the whole cover to include Pilots' wings (instead of crest)and one's name embossed in gold.
I've got photos of mates logbook somewhere on FB. I'll post if I can find it.

Milo Minderbinder
21st Jun 2012, 20:33
"anyone had any contact with the elusive R J Bond recently"

For what its worth, that workshop at Stoke-sub-Hamdon is five minutes down the A303 from Yeovilton. There must be readers of this who live close by

R J Bond Bookbinding
14 North St Work Shops
Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
Somerset
TA14 6QR

note two listed phone numbers
0843 262 7788
01935 827762

brit bus driver
21st Jun 2012, 23:49
That's on my way to work. If anyone needs a visit, PM me and I'll try and arrange it - though perhaps not at 5am on the way to an early report! As it happens, I have 2 logbooks I need binding, so will probably drop in anyway.

Minstral
29th Jun 2012, 12:31
R J Bond did mine 2 years ago. I was without my logbook for 5 months!! Needless to say the Sqn did not appreciate him taking his time to do a good job. I had to resort to writing him letters begging for it back because he never answered the phone. When I did eventually get it back I must say he did a brilliant job, but it was a rather long time! I think it cost me £70.

Good luck