PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks in passenger cabin

IB4138
3rd Dec 2007, 14:11
Local British press on the Costa del Sol report that at Malaga last week, the Guardia Civil discovered a woman passenger, on a private flight from Moscow, had 33 rockets and 26 bangers, in a box in the passenger cabin.

The fireworks were not correctly packed either, being carried in a dangerous condition.They were confiscated and destroyed.

Few Cloudy
3rd Dec 2007, 14:17
Confiscated - OK

Destroyed - shame!

744rules
3rd Dec 2007, 14:47
The fireworks were not correctly packed either, being carried in a dangerous condition.They were confiscated and destroyed.
I doubt that even if they were properly packed they can be accepted on a pax a/c (or even civil a/c). The only explosives that can be carried in the cgo compartment are the 1.4S type.

lomapaseo
3rd Dec 2007, 16:07
That reminds me of one of our vacations where my wife and kids wanted to buy cheap fireworks to bring on our flight back home. I said no, but I got a lot of flak and of course I've learned never to trust my wife as she would be the kind to ignore my advice to save a buck. :}

Was there any safe way out of this? Could they have shipped them home some way?

llondel
3rd Dec 2007, 16:59
Was she arrested or did they let her off? :}

alfamatt
3rd Dec 2007, 17:42
I believe that in the UK anyway, Fireworks,pyrotechnics & signalling flares, etc are not allowed anywhere on board an airliner.
Seems prudent.
Matt.

TheChitterneFlyer
3rd Dec 2007, 21:41
Who in their right mind would actually even consider taking explosives aboard an aeroplane... are they completely nuts? :ugh: Let me just get this right... you want to save a few quid and have a fabulous bonfire-night bash? I guess that a multi-million dollar jet going up in smoke over London would be a pretty spectacular sight... I shake my head in disbelief!

Bealzebub
3rd Dec 2007, 23:31
I believe that in the UK anyway, Fireworks,pyrotechnics & signalling flares, etc are not allowed anywhere on board an airliner.
Seems prudent.

Except in the liferaft and slideraft survival kits, where are they are part of the standard equipment. Same with Oxygen generators, passengers may not carry them either as handbaggage or hold baggage, but the aircraft is full of them.

bealine
5th Dec 2007, 07:14
As a truck driver a few years ago I used to haul pyrotechnics across Europe by road as part of "groupage" freight traffic. When carrying pyrotechnics, I had to have red "explosive" hazard labels clearly displayed (this was in 1980) and I was not allowed to use the normal passenger ferries across the English Channel.

P&O and Townsend Thoresen both used to operate separate "freighters" for trucks carrying hazardous cargo and the precise nature of the hazard had to be declared before embarkation.

I'm pretty sure there is no "normal" way of shipping pyrothechnics around the world, but looking at the number of cheap firework shops springing up in the UK with many of them coming from China, I guess someone has found a way to get them through.

vancouv
7th Dec 2007, 18:21
Destroyed - shame!

Isn't that what you do to fireworks anyway? :ok:

SkipperPL
20th Dec 2007, 21:30
Bealine,

There is a "normal" way to ship the fireworks around the world.
China Shipping, COSCO and Maersk allow to ship fireworks in the containers.
The restrictions are:
1. Classes: 1.4S, 1.4G and 1.3G , nothing else.
2. They must have a Dangerous Goods Declaration Form for each container.
3. They require to have a "powder list" with detailed description what is inside, diameter, kind of firework, total powder weight, flash composition weight etc... BEFORE container is loaded on board the ship.
4. Sometimes they require to have an ADR certificate clearly saying that the product fall in a 1.4 or 1.3 class.
5. You have to pay extra 3000 US$.
Most of fireworks all around the world are made in China or Taiwan, the reason is.... they have over 1000 years tradition of making it. The price is no longer a main factor in this business.
That's all
p.s. Sorry for my english.
Skip

grumpysnail
20th Dec 2007, 23:41
Most of fireworks all around the world are made in China or Taiwan, the reason is.... they have over 1000 years tradition of making it. The price is no longer a main factor in this business.

The reason is that labour is cheap and workplace safety non-existent or ignored.

SkipperPL
21st Dec 2007, 11:18
Grumpysnail,

Can't agree with You totally. :)

Of course, the labour is cheaper than in other countries (much more), the workplace safety .... is far better than 5-10 years ago.

It's a longer story, but it's offtopic now.

Cheers
Skip

llanfairpg
21st Dec 2007, 11:57
Local British press on the Costa del Sol report that at Malaga last week, the Guardia Civil discovered a woman passenger, on a private flight from Moscow, had 33 rockets and 26 bangers, in a box in the passenger cabin.

But did anyone ask if she had packed her own bag?