PDA

View Full Version : Fixed wing headset in helicopter

Sam Rutherford
3rd Dec 2007, 10:57
Hi All,

I'm about to go back into the rotary world, and am wondering if my old and trusty "fixed wing" headset (with adaptor cable & plug) is going to:

1. Be fine, thank you very much.

2. Get me deafened, and then thumped after landing by ATC having deafened them?

Any side advice on ANR or no also interesting (although prefer good passive and no battery 'faff' at present).

Thanks, Sam.

JimBall
3rd Dec 2007, 11:00
This keeps appearing as a subject. See (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=301305)

The answer is "what type of heli ?" - there are different connections and some headsets work better on some types than others.

quichemech
3rd Dec 2007, 12:09
Generally helicopter headsets only have the one plug opposed to the 2 for fixed wing, that might be the first obstacle to over come.

Sam Rutherford
3rd Dec 2007, 17:47
I'm happy on the adaptor cable (I have my twin to US nato (it's for the US) one).

The question was more about earpiece and mic performance. Generally the 'H' counterpart of an aeroplane headset seems to be GBP30/USD60 more - surely it's not just the different plug??!!

...or perhaps it is, the 'H' supplement again?

Sam.

Gaseous
3rd Dec 2007, 17:54
Before I got a bone dome I used a Pilot ANR headset with 2 plugs and adaptors to US and UK Nato in lots of different aircraft. Never had any problems. You can tell if its OK if the aircraft intercom works.

IHL
4th Dec 2007, 02:46
Sometimes the impedence (ohms) is different in a fixed wing head set and a helicopter head set. I would suggest trying it in the aircraft you will be using prior to making any big changes.