PDA

View Full Version : Thieves steal NZ VCs

rotornut
2nd Dec 2007, 20:15
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7123703.stm

polyglory
4th Dec 2007, 17:24
They will have a job selling them, though I suppose it would be to a very private collector.

They will need an intensive physio course when caught, falling down the stairs.:ouch:

Samuel
4th Dec 2007, 21:33
Wednesday, 05 December 2007200712050500

VC thieves could claim $210,000 reward
Thieves who stole 100 valuable war medals from the Waiouru Army Museum stand to gain more than $200,000 after two rewards were offered by overseas medal collectors.Police are working out how to handle the reward offers - $200,000 by British billionaire Lord Michael Ashcroft, and $10,000 offered by a former United States military man.Both were prompted by news of the loss in a four-minute smash and grab raid that netted nine Victoria Crosses and other rare war medals estimated to be worth more than $10 million.

Lord Ashcroft, who has the world's largest collection of about 140 Victoria Crosses, said he was shocked by the theft and had put up the $200,000 reward for their safe return.

Prime Minister Helen Clark said yesterday that she wanted to take police advice on the rewards."One of the issues that always arises is whether you should encourage the posting of such offers, because it could, in the worst of circumstances, be an incentive to theft."

However, Defence Minister Phil Goff said he had asked police to process and implement the offer.

Detective Dennis O'Rourke said the reward offers showed the international interest in recovering the medals.

He said police were looking at reward policies and would be in touch with Lord Ashcroft. "We wouldn't want to do anything that might jeopardise the investigation or the early recovery of the medals.

"Rewards can encourage people to steal things, but on the other hand, they can help you get your stuff back."

Police had 35 officers working on Operation Valour, based at Waiouru's officer cadet school.

A scene examination inside the museum was expected to continue today.

Police are also going through security footage taken at the museum and elsewhere, compiling a database of all vehicles seen in and around Waiouru at the time of the raid, at 1.10am on Sunday.

They have also started questioning every person in the town, including all those living on its army base.

Mr O'Rourke said the hotline calls were being checked. He would not say how many people might have been involved in the theft, or release any security video footage.

The police this morning have said they are 'encouraged' by results of forensic examination inside the Army Museum. My bet is that an arrest will follow for the very simple reason that New Zealand is too small for these people to hide in, and Waiouru is failry isolated. My guess is that it has been carried out with inside knowledge.

Whenurhappy
5th Dec 2007, 09:02
I was shocked to read of this theft (not 'robbery' as described in the NZ Herald). I remember being led around the Museum as a severely hung-over RNZAF officer cadet but being impressed by the realistic displays (a novelty in the mid 80's) as well as being dazzled by the medal collection. Some 20-odd years later, to think that I have a selection of campaign medals now that will sit in my own draw when I pass on...

I hope they catch the b@st@rds. ..my feeling its that it was a well-executed but dimly thought out act. There is speculation of some 'Dr No/Blofeld' type private collector. Poppycock - it will be some militaria sad-o.

Good luck to NZ Police - and well done Lord Ashcroft for proposing a substantial reward for information.

themightyimp
11th Dec 2007, 21:41
What a bunch a stnuc!!! I would hope that they get put in the front line and face the music. They nicked the only 'fighting' VC and Bar....................... :mad::mad:

Bob Viking
12th Dec 2007, 07:33
The man was an absolute legend! To steal those medals is, in my view, an absolutely heinous crime. The blokes obviously knew the value of what they were stealing which makes it such an unforgiveable act.
Lets hope they turn up soon.
BV:(
Just in case you aren't familiar with the story!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Upham
You could make a film just based on his time in/out of Colditz!

henry crun
16th Feb 2008, 07:20
New Zealand police have recovered all 96 stolen medals in perfect condition.

Someone, obviously tempted by the $300,000 reward, gave information which lead the return of the medals.

polyglory
16th Feb 2008, 11:46
That is good news indeed.:ok:

As you say it was probably the reward that did it, one hopes that the person who purloined them in the first place, also came with them.

Samuel
16th Feb 2008, 12:33
Well, I admit to a huge feeling of relief that all the medal sets were recovered in mint condition; these are, after all, national treasures.

The NZ Police are also saying they have a number of suspects for the theft, and 'the net is closing'. Let's hope they nail them!