PDA

View Full Version : Not so easy on the 'net

modtinbasher
2nd Dec 2007, 10:39
Hi folks, can you give me some help please? I've spent considerable time trying to put some cheap flights together using various internet sites. My main problem is finding a site that will do more than giving me a departure and a return date.

What I want to do is put a trip together for a party of four in this coming September 2008.

OK, we want to fly from any London or Northern England airport to Thunder Bay, Ontario, and stay for a week or so.

Then get a flight from Thunder Bay to Toronto and stay there for a week or so.

Then fly back to the UK and the same airport we started off from.

I suppose I could book single tickets for each leg of the trip, and with different sites, but wouldn't that be difficult security-wise and work out more expensive?

Any clues greatly appreciated!

MTB

christep
2nd Dec 2007, 11:47
Seems fairly straightforward to me on the Air Canada site using the multi-city option: LHR-xYYZ-YQT-YYZ-LHR. Base fare works out at GBP316.77 for some random dates I tried, compared to GBP294 for a simple roundtrip to Thunder Bay without the stopover in Toronto.

The taxes and surcharges are huge though: the total fare is GBP515.80! But I guess there's not much you can do about them.

MrSoft
2nd Dec 2007, 11:51
If you want to try a variety of carriers both Opodo and Expedia will allow you to plan multi-leg itineraries.

In my experience, both sites produce multi-leg tickets of questionable value for money, but it gives you a starting point for further exploration direct with the carriers suggested. The last time I did this exercise, I ended up booking 3 x single tickets with the same carrier as it turned out cheaper than a combined ticket.

modtinbasher
2nd Dec 2007, 16:35
Thank you christep and MrSoft for your help.

MTB

PAXboy
2nd Dec 2007, 18:53
Another starting point is ebookers and select 'MORE SEARCH OPTIONS' for multi-hop. I agree that you use the sites for basic research and do not book until you have checked all the options.

One option that I use is to search for the web site of the distant airport and then search that for their carriers and destinations served. You may find out about local lo-cost carriers that are not known over here. THEN look at the schedules of those carriers and, again, that of the next stop. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of the options of time, date and cost. This allows a running total with, as christep points out, the taxes and airport charges.

The main carriers for the Atlantic sector will always offer you onward connections but these might prove to be pricey as they will tend be with legacy carriers, rather than LCCs. Again, us the web site of all the possible starting airports in your region to look for the first link in the chain. Even if you take a train to get to the starting point - depending upon cost of that ticket, it might be cheaper.

With regards to 'security', as long as you have valid documentation and passports/visas where required?? If unsure, contact the Canadian High Commission in London. When making connections, make sure that you have enough time. If you are going to be making the next sector on the same day that you arrive, be sure to allow MORE time than you could think of. This is particularly the case if you use different carriers.

modtinbasher
2nd Dec 2007, 19:02
Thanks PAXboy, good stuff!

MTB