PDA

View Full Version : Going to Africa

kirkegaard
2nd Dec 2007, 00:22
Hi everybody.
I'm planing to go to Africa in early January to look for a Job.Thought about starting out in Botswana and then go to South Africa or tanzania or something simular. But there are some things I'm not totally clear about, which I hope you can help me with.
First, do I need a visa to work and live in the Africa?Also, I have American FAA certificates but are they good enough in Africa? I have the Commercial-Multi, not the the Commercial-single. So, is my CPL-ME enough or should I get the CPL-single as well or maybe get it converted in Africa?
To increase my chances I think that I'll get rated in one or two planes, but should I do so at a school in Africa or is that of no importance where I get rated? At last but not least, where can I get my medical renewed in Africa?
Hope that it is okay me asking you all these questions..
Fly safe:ok:

FCKNG AIRTAXIMAN
2nd Dec 2007, 01:57
for the visa It depends on the country that you are going to, but in most of them you need it, you can get it easily with a letter of invitation from any company that are interested in you as pilot, second, try to get some type "before go there", most of the African companies have B1900, ATR or Dash.
About FAA licence no problem:ok:

chileno 777
2nd Dec 2007, 13:49
First, do I need a visa to work and live in the Africa

Suggest to visit or to call the nearest embassy/consulate of the African country to where you are planning to travel. (Botsw, S.A, Tanzania). Think that they can give you a better overview of immigration and current labor regulations for foreigners.

zoneout
2nd Dec 2007, 14:12
I suggest you just call the operators you are keen on working for. Or identify a couple at least. They will have a good idea of whether your paperwork is easy or not, and what you need to bring. There is plenty of info on this forum about where to try, depending on what you are looking for and what your hours are. If you have around 250 hours, and are looking for flying that will get you 80 to 100 hours a month, and incredibly good experience and an awesome flying environment, my advice is go to Botswana (Maun). I am sure there are plenty other opinions as well, but the bottom line is try and get the basic info first, then just go! Late Jan is a bit too late for Botswana BTW, the sooner the better. Go now! But better late than never...

Good luck!

PS My location says Botswana but I am not there anymore, need to update that sometime. My info is a bit old, but you are welcome to PM me if you think I can help

Africrash
2nd Dec 2007, 17:09
Hi

For Tanzania you will need a work permit to work here but if you get a job the employer will apply for that, if you come in on a visitor visa you are not supposed to look for work so in theory you need a business pass to job hunt.

January might be a bit early for here but at about 250 hours you could get on a 206 and do around 100 hours a month in the busier part of the year, people have been moving to the Caravan after a little over a year on the 206.

Dar is a good place to start looking, Zanzibar is also worth a look and Arusha.

Good luck

kirkegaard
2nd Dec 2007, 18:47
Hi everybody...Thank you very much for all the information. It helped me a lot...
But do you guys know anything about the Commercial licence requiered in africa..... Is my multi-engine commercial enough or ...?

flyhardmo
3rd Dec 2007, 00:43
Hi,
For Tanzania just rock up and ask around. Get a tourist visa at the airport. Just tell them you are travelling around Tanzania which is technically correct (while asking for jobs but immagration doesn't need to know that). Visa's are 50 bucks for 3 months. You will have to do a license conversion, Air law and a flight test. airlaw i think is about 260USD and the flight test you can do whe a company takes you. Most companies wont look at you until you have at least completed the airlaw exam. Once hired they will get you a work permit thats the way it normally works.
A commercal is fine as most planes in GA are less than 12500lbs and even the bigger guys take non ATPL pilots but usually the locals or for a hefty fee. Go anytime but in the high season expect to it hang around alot as most people wont have time to train you.
My advice. Do some instructing. Get at least 500hrs TT and a caravan rating. You will be welcomed with open arms. Best time to look for work is in May - early June,Sept - early Dec. Good luck

kirkegaard
3rd Dec 2007, 21:44
Great, thank you for all the information.
I think I'll take your advice and get rated in Cessna 206. Is there any school/training facility that you would recommed me going to, to get rated?

And where could I get my medical renewed? Should I try to have it done before I come to Africa, and are they expensive?
Thanks again for your time.

SIMBA KALI
3rd Dec 2007, 22:40
Kirk...Africa is a very nasty place..full of malaria, insecurity, corruption and many other things that I so fear to mention. I would try the sandpit or better yet the poles..:} Wonder why it is reffered to as a "DARK" continent. It may be darker than it sounds. Be very careful fo what you wish for...(no kidding)

Africrash
4th Dec 2007, 04:37
Africa, the dark continent?:confused:

Not the bits I have seen, I dont know about west Africa but Tanzania, Botswana and Namibia have huge expat populations, great flying, good people and a great way of life.

Be prepared to work hard and put up with a hundred little annoyances, :ugh:you will not regret it. like anywhere you will not get a free ride, but you will get experience which is second to none :ok:.

If you can afford it, get to flight safety and get the Caravan course, lots of them down here. otherwise just turn up, get a job and work your way up.

good luck

jnignon
4th Dec 2007, 13:27
just a question Simba Kali. Have been to africa? You see I live in the USA and go back home to africa at least twice a year and I think it is the most friendly place on earth. look at this forum, the africa section is probably the most view and i dont think is because people a curious about all the bad think you just said. But again you live in texas and I wont even start on that.
Even though africa is the poorest place on earth, african are the most welcoming people. All you have to do is show up at the airport no matter where you from and be on your way to whatever destination and whatever business brinks you. I dont think I can say that much for many other places on earth specially for us africans.

chileno 777
4th Dec 2007, 15:58
Kirk...Africa is a very nasty place..full of malaria, insecurity, corruption and many other things that I so fear to mention. I would try the sandpit or better yet the poles..:} Wonder why it is reffered to as a "DARK" continent. It may be darker than it sounds. Be very careful fo what you wish for...(no kidding)

kirkegaard:
Some things that SimbaKali have posted are true. Some countries in Africa are very corrupt, the crime is a serious problem, and you have to be very cautious regarding health. But not everything is so dark. := Personally I have learned so many things since I am leaving in Africa (5 years in Angola). I also have started to give more value to some issues that never really appreciated in my home country (Chile) which has a more developed environment. Africa sometimes becomes very difficult and some people says that this continent is not for sissies...but can assure you that living in Africa you will learn a lot of things (professionally and as a human being) that you will never regret that you had decided to work in this continent. By the way African people (all races) are the friendliest people that I have ever seen in my life.

jnignon
6th Dec 2007, 14:30
crime and corruption is everywhere. last time I check Rio in brazil was more dangerous than many african countries. Even here in the USA violent crimes are a daily occurence. Only yesterday a teen went to the mall and killed 8 people. Just watch your back don t go to area that are notoriously dangerous and you will be fine

lowbypass
7th Dec 2007, 14:10
''Kirk...Africa is a very nasty place..full of malaria, insecurity, corruption and many other things that I so fear to mention. I would try the sandpit or better yet the poles..:} Wonder why it is reffered to as a "DARK" continent. It may be darker than it sounds. Be very careful fo what you wish for...(no kidding)''

Which part of Africa upset your stomach like this??, some part of this 'dark' as they put it is not THAT dark!

You sound like you were mugged by a malaya...:ouch:

BALEWA
7th Dec 2007, 16:27
Its Lies Kirke, all lies,

You see me lad, they are all afraid of you and others who have intentions of coming to fly down here in Africa, taking their jobs!!!

They say they are in Texas, Uk, etc its all lies, they are all here in Africa flying and making their mullah.

Come on down mate, the fun is only just about to start in African Aviation, and the only way is up!!!

Balewa:ok:

HavingSaidThat
7th Dec 2007, 17:07
BALEWA,

You should work as a marketing and sales person for the African touristic industry :cool:

Since I noticed you around this forum I have not always agreed with your viewpoints. And this time it is not all lies what we read here. But it is not all dark either. That`s for sure.

But for Kirkegaard who, from what I read from his posts, is a newbee in this industry, he should pick up all the information he can get, do his homework as we all have done over the years, and then find out the pro and cons about working abroad. That is why it is important that the information posters here give him is correct.

BALEWA
8th Dec 2007, 12:46
HavingSaidThat, nothing wrong being a marketing and sales person for the African touristic industry it would be my pleasure. Would you have a problem with Marketing Africa :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, Sir, eh that statement about Since I noticed you around this forum.......... who noticed who on this forum!!!:confused:
Me thinks you had better get that one right and very clear here fella, you did not notice me in here!

Always remember Kirke what you read on pprune and what is realy happening out there could be completely different, opinions formed by reading postings on pprune could be highly misleading.

Hope your having as good a weekend as I am :E

BALEWA

HavingSaidThat
8th Dec 2007, 20:28
I dont know BALEWA, but you as a marketing person for African touristic industry was a compliment. You must be the only one on pprune who did not understand that.

"Noticed you on this forum"...my man, how touchy can one be :{

This thread is not about you or me, this is about giving an obvious keen person the right information. He asked some questions. If we open the pc to answer him, would you not agree that non biased info is what he deserve.

And a fabulous week-end to you too.

jnignon
10th Dec 2007, 14:08
Why people are so afraid of africa anyway???? I mean the aviation industry over there is finally picking up at a really fast and we really take good care of foreigners. So for those of you who dont wont to go, oh well! I kown one thing. As soon as my contract here in the US is over I'm on the next plane back to the "dark continent" living a stress free life. I bet you I will be off my blodd pressure pills then. To me it doesn't matter if you are a newby or old timer, Africa need qualified people in all industry not just aviation, and I promise you that as an expatriate you will have it good over there.

BALEWA
10th Dec 2007, 14:18
hello jnignon, anytime you come around Lagos please give me a PM!

I would be glad to show you around some great stress free locations :ok:

Balewa

jnignon
11th Dec 2007, 13:20
No problem my friend. Can't wait

Manchester ATC
11th Dec 2007, 13:33
South Africa Brill.

Work permit needed or was in 1988 - 1992

Anyone going out now make sure you have all your shots from Doctor.:ok: