PDA

View Full Version : License requirements for flying N-Reg in UK/Europe?

Scoobster
1st Dec 2007, 09:49
Folks,

This is a either a fairly simple rule or a fairly complex one, in order to fly a N Registered Aircraft in the UK (i.e. corporate) requires an FAA License. Clear.

However, does this have to be an originally issued FAA License (i.e. does all your training have to start and finish in the U.S) or can this be through the conversion process?

For example, train in Canada and then convert to U.S and have the Canadian Licenses issued with the endorsement 'Based on a Foreign License'. At the end of the day you will have both CAD and FAA.

Cheers

Scoobster

BelArgUSA
1st Dec 2007, 11:11
Hola Scoobster -
xxx
FAA Certificates - say CPL or ATP - either obtained through the regular channels in USA, or obtained through validation from a Canadian licence are perfectly valid on a N registry airplane operated outside Canada/USA - but check the new standards of the US/FAA regulations - FAR 61.55 and 61.58 in particular. These deal with PIC and SIC qualifications.
xxx
Since the FAA certificate validations with Canada licence is a rather new procedure, I do not know if the Canadian medical certificate must be current, or if you can just be holder of an appropriate and current FAA medical.
xxx
Sure makes it convenient that these two aviation entities are finally recognizing each other's papers... In most cases you will probably go through the US for most simulator initial/recurrent training anyway, and US/FAA medical examiners abound in UK and Europe.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

Scoobster
1st Dec 2007, 17:58
Thanks for the reply mate.

Well under the recipricol agreement, I believe you must have a current Transport Canda medical in order to be validated.

However, as I have both (and anticipate that this will not change in the future) this should be ok!!

So a point which you made:

obtained through validation from a Canadian licence are perfectly valid on a N registry airplane operated outside Canada/USA

This is probably a stupid question but what happens if you operate N registered planes in the U.S.A??!

Does the Canadian ATP/CPL have to be converted to a fully fledged FAA License - i.e. you must fully convert your license, or will the validation suffice?!

or is it a case of finding the nearest FSDO taking your Canadian ATP/CPL and having the FSDO print off an FAA ATP Airman Certificate?

Cheers

Scoobster

BelArgUSA
1st Dec 2007, 19:56
Of course, could fly within the USA as well...
I have never seen such new type of certificate/validation, so I have no idea of any limitations that might be imposed.
xxx
In the case of FAA validating foreign certificates, i.e. a UK ATPL, the FAA certificates have the following limitations:
"Commercial Pilot, Airplane Single and Multiengine Land -
"US Instrument Rating Test Completed (if has taken the written test)
"Present certificate issued based on UK ATPL nºxxxxxx -
"Not valid for flying for hire. - Expires (date)
xxx
But with the Transport Canada/US FAA bilateral agreement, there are no such limitations. The certificate will probably say -
"Airline Transport Pilot, Airplane Multiengine Land -
"CE-500 DA-10 (type ratings list as applicable) -
"Issued by validation of Transport Canada ATPL nºxxxxxx
xxx
Suggest you call the nearest FSDO to clarify.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails
"