PDA

View Full Version : European in the States?

Right-Hand-Man
30th Nov 2007, 22:55
Evenin lads,

i hail from ireland but was thinking about moving to the states once i got the neccesry qualifications. im not reali sure if thats a good idea or not so i was wondering if some1 could give me a couple pointers. My plan was to train in canada and get up to an ME-IR ,stay as an instructor then move to the states to stay with one of my many relatives there, while looking for work. Is this possible? And i know to get a frozen Atpl you need to complete the 14 exams, but how do you get an Faa atpl? if anyone can help that'd be gr8, cheers!;)

R-H-M

Scoobster
1st Dec 2007, 09:44
Do you have the right to live and work in the U.S i.e Greencard?

If you do not have a Greencard then you may as well forget about any chance of working in the U.S (unless the carrier offers a work permit - which at the moment is unheard of)?!

Also, if you are doing Canadian up to ME-IR, then under the recipricocal agreement between Transport Canada Civil Aviation your licenses are easily converted to FAA if you filfill:

i) Hold a current medical for the category of License
ii) Pass the relevant ground exam (air law and radio comms)
iii) Take an FAA Flight Test

What is probably useful to establish is where you intend to work after being qualified?

Scoobster

ab33t
30th Dec 2007, 20:17
The other way of doing this is to become an CFI and the school will then apply for a J1 visa for you. This will allow you to work towards your ATPL , you can only get the ATPL when you have 1500 hours.