PDA

View Full Version : Chinook container Move Falkland Islands 1985

7of9
30th Nov 2007, 20:41
This was filmed by one of the lads on our camp where Chindet was based back in 1985.
I worked for NAAFI EFI, & asked the RAF if they would mover a container full of crates of beer from the top of Camp to between the NAAFI buildings.
This was done as a training flight.
The hooker who set this up neglected to put ropes on all four corners of the container which is why it took a while to place.
For those of you who know me, will see me in the film.
Many thanks to the aircrew & hookers who set this up & for their help as well in placing the container where it was needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQRkgxCtR28

Cheers Trev

Maple 01
30th Nov 2007, 21:21
That was a pants drop! I feel sorry for the poor old hookers.......

fantaman
30th Nov 2007, 21:34
Bloody good video 7of9 :D

benzonar
30th Nov 2007, 22:47
It's a shame nobody had a video of the daring daytime raid just after the war ended, when a Chinook swooped down and a snatch squad attempted to steal a wooden jetty in order to use the wood to build Kelly's Garden bar.

I know their is a video in existence somewhere of a rendition of the Kelly's Garden song.

7of9
1st Dec 2007, 06:12
I was at said camp in 83 & 85, never heard that one before, please do tell more if you can.

Thanks for the comments on my video's.

Trev:ok::ok:

Rocket Chucker
1st Dec 2007, 16:35
I did see a Chinook park just down the road from West Store on the grass between the road and the 'beach' because of a strop interupting the rotors after depositing an Iso Container in Stanley harbour..

All crew shaken and stirred but all well considering their expeience.

Can't remember if it was my 82, 83 or 84 tour though.

Gainesy
2nd Dec 2007, 15:34
Talking about squished hookers...:uhoh:
2min 4sec in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpcci_ZJ1Rk&feature=related

Tourist
2nd Dec 2007, 16:16
83' if my memory serves me correctly.
Very impressive sight!

The Adjutant
3rd Dec 2007, 07:49
I was at 303 SU Mount Kent in 85 and the Wokkas resupplied us every saturday morning. I remember a Christmas toga party we set up on the mountain and having invited every military female we could identify on the island, the wokkas and SAR Sea Kings ferried them all up to us, and down again the next day. Some of the girls were very creative in producing roman slave girls outfits I remember. It cost us a few slabs of beer for the helicopter crews but my goodness it was worth it. Lots of happy 303 SU boys the next morning. However CBFFI gave us a rocket for using his helicopters as a private taxi service.. so we did it all again 6 weeks later for Valantines day.

AR1
4th Dec 2007, 11:38
I was up there in '86 when we 'clamped' one which broke down on the helipad. A proper yellow clap with Mt Kent County Council' written on it. A slab was required for its removal.
Some weeks later, they were delivering a load of girls for an october kite flying contest (which my team won) - they then hovered off the mountain and requested over the radio that numerous slabs appear at the helipad, or the girls were going home.

Touche!

imanxpurt
4th Dec 2007, 21:11
I was clamped on Kent after shutting down for a cup of tea. Cost one slab but as was said, it cost them more.

The wood for the Kellys garden bar was "retrieved" from a NAAFI iso container. If I remember "Mouse" one of the techies then made the bar.
There was a visit from the Plods who were looking for the wood and if they had looked behind the bar they would have seen the wood was stamped "NAFFI " all over it.

Normal thing to pick up an ISO that was in the middle of nowhere:
Hooker put it on the hook then crewman grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and pulled him in through the hatch. Job done.

benzonar
5th Dec 2007, 09:41
The wood at the jetty was never successfully commandeered due to the fact that a certain special forces outfit had been using the jetty for training etc, they were apparently most put out and persuaded the wokka crew that maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

rolandpull
5th Dec 2007, 11:12
That ISO into the harbour was 40 feet long. It was a shame the rigging was done for a 20 foot ISO resulting in a not too strong lifting angle on the slings. They went pop, the ISO fell into the sea and the slings went the other way into the rotors. Great bit of CA flying into downtown Stanley.