PDA

View Full Version : Airbus VAPP increment with SPD Brake

PGA
30th Nov 2007, 15:40
Hi Guys,

Upon arrival today, with gear down, F3 and still some speedbrake out, the aircraft, after speedbrake retraction, settled at VAPP + well a bit...... just a couple of knots faster then it was supposed to do.

Apperently this is normal, just couldn't find any FCOM reference to it. Was wondering if anybody can shed some light on this matter....

Thanks in advance! :ok:

kuwait340
30th Nov 2007, 18:27
Hello...

well....you said...after speed brake retraction...so the speed barke has nothing to do with this.

it might be because of head wind...and the ground speed mini doing it's great job as it always do.

Good Luck.

Wingswinger
30th Nov 2007, 18:28
This is a known characteristic of the A320 family, particularly the 319.

If, after arming APPR on the FCU, you use the SPDBK the aircraft will tend to settle at up to 10kts above the VAPP. Simply take the TL out of the CLB detent, disconnect the ATHR, rearm it and then reset the TL to the CLB detent to reactivate the ATHR. The ATHR will then control speed to the VAPP. Alternatively, use manual thrust.

I don't know why it happens and it is not referred to in the FCOM. My company has asked Airbus why it occurs but, to my knowledge, we have had no reply yet.