PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy Rank Strucutre.

tyne
30th Nov 2007, 14:54
Hi, hope someone can help me with this..

You may remember me, I am a journalist who hates it when journos get it wrong.

As part of this mission I am compling info on the UK armed forces for our reporters across the group.

I am at the Rank structure stage and have found exactly what I want on the army and RAF websites. But I can't find anything for the RN.

I'm putting together a crib sheet for my hacks to refer to. So for example they know a Corporal has some resobsibility that some people are called gunners or sappers or whatever.

I'm hoping this will stop a lot of misunderstandings....

So can anyone please point me to a web based resrouce.

It's Friday afternoon so all my RN contacts have gone home!

I'd really appreciate a bit of help

Cheers

Dan

doubledolphins
30th Nov 2007, 15:06
Its all on the website dear boy. Under Training and People, then RN life.

PS. a Leading Hand is the same as a Corporal, then there are equivalent rates and ranks all the way to Admiral.

Sentry Agitator
30th Nov 2007, 15:10
http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~acsdry/ranks.htm

SA

doubledolphins
30th Nov 2007, 15:15
My dear chap, that chart is complete :mad: Besides "Fleet Chiefs" have been WOs for years now. Very recently they became WO1s, with the introduction of WO2s. Funny thing that.

Toxteth O'Grady
30th Nov 2007, 15:15
Link at post #3 above is out of date. RN no longer has Fleet Chief Petty Officers and has Warrant Officer 2 and 1 now.

:cool:

TOG

6Z3
30th Nov 2007, 15:16
I am a journalist who hates it when journos get it wrong.

Royal Navy Rank Strucutre
Corporal has some resobsibility
please point me to a web based resrouce
Don't you just hate it when journos get it wrong?
Here's (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3773) a link to the RN website tri-service rank structure page. Good luck with your venture.

airborne_artist
30th Nov 2007, 15:38
Just remember that for any given rank, the Royal Navy officer/rating will automatically outrank his Army/RAF counterpart. Senior Service, y'see ;)

Coat, hat, :ok:

tyne
30th Nov 2007, 15:39
Cheers fellas...My browsing skills abvously need updating....All I could find was WW2/Napolionic era rank stuff.

And I can't spell - that's why I are a journalist who works in radio.

All the best

Dan

Green Flash
30th Nov 2007, 17:53
I notice from the Navy rank table that there is a RM rank of Field Marshall. Do we actually have one (or more) of these, then?

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2007, 18:13
GF, oops, tin hat needed, stand by incoming. marshal

timex
30th Nov 2007, 18:27
I notice from the Navy rank table that there is a RM rank of Field Marshall. Do we actually have one (or more) of these, then?

Soon Gf soon..................I hope.

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2007, 19:25
Timex, I hope not.

I believe we had decided to follow the US and limit promotion to 4* except in time of war, hence the hope not.

This means of course no automatic seat in the Upper House which will both save in pay, pension and parliamentary pay. Of course it means no more military Lords lording it over the Commons.

timex
30th Nov 2007, 19:38
This means of course no automatic seat in the Upper House which will both save in pay, pension and parliamentary pay. Of course it means no more military Lords lording it over the Commons.

Agree, but sadly it also means even less in either House with "any" Military experience..

Green Flash
30th Nov 2007, 19:54
Marshal, Marshal, Marshal - allright? If only I could spell dyslexic but I get my mucking furds wuddled.

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2007, 20:07
GF, do you mean like IRAQ and IRAN? :}

Green Flash
30th Nov 2007, 20:28
I didn't know I sounded American ;)

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2007, 21:28
I was thinking of GPS, IPods and ill fitting suits.

AlJH
1st Dec 2007, 01:13
Rates (non-com):
Able Seaman
Leading Rate
Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer
Warrant Officer

Officers:
Midshipman
Sub Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain
Commodore
Rear Admiral
Vice Admiral
Admiral
Admiral of the Fleet

Hope that helps,
Al

vecvechookattack
1st Dec 2007, 13:46
Nearly there.... you forgot Warrant Officer 1 and Warrant Officer 2

Taffer
1st Dec 2007, 15:38
And for the extra bit of trivia, RN Midshipmen and Sub Lieutenants are subordinate to their RAF/Army equivalent ranks.

Ratings aren't just referred to by their rank though - often their trade is part of their title, eg. AET, MA, ET, etc. This carries through when they are promoted, so you end up with titles such as CPOWEA, LAET, POMA, etc.

Here's some of the branch badges, which seem to be getting changed far too often:

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3770

goudie
1st Dec 2007, 16:04
Does the rank of Master-at-Arms still exist?

alfred_the_great
1st Dec 2007, 16:07
Master At Arms is the title of a CPO RN Service Policeman. It's complemented by Regulating Petty Officers and Leading Regulators.

Snakes the lot of them mind, wouldn't trust them with a bargepole!!!

GasFitter
1st Dec 2007, 19:51
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3773

vecvechookattack
1st Dec 2007, 20:00
there is also the rank of Cadet RN, which although not substantive is mentioned in the NDA. Midshipmen are Officers but do not hold a commission (cos they'd probably drop it !)

doubledolphins
1st Dec 2007, 20:12
"Able Seaman", "Leading Rate". Not very consistent are you?

Cadet RN? is it bacK? Is BRNC taking 13 year olds again?

vecvechookattack
1st Dec 2007, 20:59
"Able Seaman", "Leading Rate". Not very consistent are you
whats wrong with that?

Cadet RN? is it bacK? Is BRNC taking 13 year olds again
Yes, No

doubledolphins
3rd Dec 2007, 09:41
Able Seaman, Leading Seaman

Able Rate, Leading Rate.

:ok:

As to Cadets, must get up to date, sorry.Just checked out the BRNC website, Thanks.