PDA

View Full Version : Camilla - Duchess of Cornwall

ORAC
30th Nov 2007, 01:51
Michael Yon: Men of Valor: Part III (http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/men-of-valor-part-iii.htm)

....Smith spent several months in the UK recuperating from his burns before returning to the war. Like the mechanics Burns and Miller, his courage under fire was unsung. As for recognition at home, the British soldiers say that it rarely happens, but they did tell me about one lady who gives them great moral support. They say she writes a handwritten letter to every wounded soldier in 4 Rifles. She writes a handwritten letter to every family of a soldier who is lost. She writes letters to the battalion often.

She is a wealthy woman who sends hundred-dollar bottles of scotch to wounded soldiers in 4 Rifles, and she will even present their medals on 14 December 2007 in the U.K. Who is this lady? She is Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall, wife to the Prince of Wales, the future King of England, and she supports 4 Rifles as their Royal Colonel. One soldier expressed the sentiment of many when he told me, “she’s so busy, yet finds time to handwrite all those letters to our wounded and families.” Another soldier told me that she even invited the families to her home.

BristolScout
30th Nov 2007, 10:49
A gracious lady indeed. It's a pity that the hacks of Grub Street couldn't focus on this, rather than pandering to the Diana worshippers.

BEagle
30th Nov 2007, 12:22
The Duchess of Cornwall and the late Princess should not be compared in such a crude manner. Please accentuate the positive.

The quiet and generous support provided by the Duchess is absolutely outstanding and exemplifies all that is truly gracious of the ruling class.

RETDPI
30th Nov 2007, 13:40
Stop creeping Beags, you put yourself permanently out of the running for a gong decades ago.

Agaricus bisporus
30th Nov 2007, 16:28
ruling class.!!!!

Do we assume Beags means the "Royal Family"?

Perhaps someone should tell him that Royalty have never been anything as vulgar as "ruling class", which is an incorrect and inaccurate description for the aristocracy that has been obsolete for generations.

Do keep up with the times, old chap!

RETDPI
30th Nov 2007, 16:47
Beags is of a social background (as such) that he wouldn't know the difference.
Thankfully, he doesn't care either.

MightyGem
1st Dec 2007, 21:05
Orac, once again, thanks for posting these links. It's a shame that he can't get them published in the UK press.

BEagle
2nd Dec 2007, 05:10
RETDPI and I have been exchanging banter for about 39 years, actually, AIDU!
Next year is the 40th anniversary of our introduction to the joys of the South Brick Lines, 'crowing', Minors, Majors, Rollers, Strikers, the Knocker Run, Chimay jockstrappery and the Ferris Drill competition - amongst other things.

I do recall how (I think 'twas he) RETDPI's cheery greeting "Morning, luv!" to some rather tasty little WRAF EngO Plt Off wandering down the avenue from the Congo Hilton was rebuffed with a squeak of "Don't you normally salute officers?". His reply of "Sorry, Sir" didn't help much!

Anyway, let's get back to the discussion concerning the Duchess of Cornwall's generosity and stateliness. I hope that her actions are picked up by the UK press - despite their clear preference for tawdry rubbish such as 'Big Brother' and whatever that celebrities-in-the-jungle-with-a-couple-of-geordie-teenagers thing is.

Blacksheep
2nd Dec 2007, 13:23
I have to admit to being completely wrong about her, she definitely has what it takes to be Queen.

The question is whether her husband has what it takes to be King.

6Z3
2nd Dec 2007, 13:26
The question is whether her husband has what it takes to be King
The first one.....possibly!

RETDPI
2nd Dec 2007, 16:04
AID Who?
I notice that your major professional contribution to PPrune appears largely to be limited to the "Finish the sentence" thread.
Well, how about this one?
" God put the foot and the mouth at opposite ends of the body in an attempt to avoid..........."

goudie
2nd Dec 2007, 17:02
RET & AID

Now you two kiss (no tongues) and make up.

BEagle
2nd Dec 2007, 18:51
No one tongues my bitch.......

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/tongues.jpg

;)

Green Flash
2nd Dec 2007, 20:11
Is that right BEags? (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/tongue/tongue/index.html)

RETDPI
3rd Dec 2007, 06:41
............or Kirkibolls them.

steamchicken
3rd Dec 2007, 10:40
Stop creeping Beags, you put yourself permanently out of the running for a gong decades ago.

You think it's only a gong he's after?

RETDPI
3rd Dec 2007, 10:59
Actually, I do wonder at times if, in his dotage, Beags gets a bit mixed up between :

"Camilla - Duchess of Cornwall"

and

"Priscilla - Queen of the Desert"