PDA

View Full Version : SAA to get TAAG 777

divinehover
29th Nov 2007, 17:12
It's been a while since a good rumour did the rounds on this forum. So here goes. Rumour has it SAA will be getting TAAG's 777 os 777's (I don't know how many they have) due to the inability of the Angolans to operate the type and the requirement for more a/c for SAA.

777Contrail
30th Nov 2007, 06:10
Well since MM & BG left to Oz and are now shopping for 777 rated Saffers this will be a way to do it...................

Just building that rumour!!:E

asianeagle
30th Nov 2007, 07:04
is troooo! My gaden booi was spoking to Khaya in de shebeeen and he are say he can luv it to get a seve`n sev`en sev`en. De choppa she iz a beet small.:}

AAL
30th Nov 2007, 08:17
To add to the rumour; it is rumoured that since TAAG's EU ban they have requested SAA to fly for them on SAA AOC the highly lucrative LAD - LIS route with an A340-600.

An agreement has been reached but SAA can only commence on 1 Mar 2008 when they can spare an aircraft and consign sufficient cockpit and cabin crew.

This can explain the reason for deal reached with TAAG B777's.

SAASFO
30th Nov 2007, 08:37
SAA is already operating DT652 and DT653 for TAAG with the callsign 'Angola' using a B747-400 ZS-SAZ in SAA colours. The operation started on the 26th of this month and is a daily service.

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Nov 2007, 10:06
Is it possible the Spoories manne will be getting a taste of contract work in picturesque Luanda? It's not a container in the desert but I guess you have to start somewhere....;)

And before the bleating starts, I know some of you folks did some contract work before you reached the exalted heights (sic) of SAA....:E

fluffyfan
30th Nov 2007, 10:49
SRT apparently the boys are loving this contract, a few 747-400 crews reactivated, good money about double the meal allowance at SAA (or so I hear from the cabin crew....so who knows if thats true)........and best of all, Lisbon, which has always been a firm favorite.

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Nov 2007, 11:20
Spending your days off on Mussulo not a bad thing either. Take along your speargun if you have the 'nads to spear a marlin and waterski halfway to Bermuda behind it...

fluffyfan
30th Nov 2007, 11:25
speargun ? I prefer exposives

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Nov 2007, 11:29
That's just not cricket, old fruit.....

dudleydick
30th Nov 2007, 12:31
Hey Fluffyfan you been fishin in Northern Namibia and maybe Angola - and a few years ago man.

SAASFO
30th Nov 2007, 12:57
SRT, some of us paid our dues working for Rossair and Balmoral in Luanda and Lobito - really felt sorry for the Fedair boys who were stuck in Huambo - going back 12 years now.

And FF, no double S&T for the flight crew, but hotels in Luanda provide breakfast and dinner on the house, and these days the Hotel Tropico has Angolan lobsters piled to the roof at the buffet table!! All you can eat!

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Nov 2007, 13:30
As did oneself, Mr SAASFO, as did oneself.

JetNut
1st Dec 2007, 19:35
The latest correspondence from SAAPA's meeting with Khaya and crowd suggest serious expansion plans for next year. With a rumour from a very reliable source that SAA will be operating A330's next year this time :D

Alternative
1st Dec 2007, 19:52
Thats not all......Hiring is imminent!!!

Direct Entry P2's internal!

divinehover
2nd Dec 2007, 18:15
All future appointments will be P2 short haul. A340 P2's will do in-flight relief. It's the end of dedicated P3's at SAA.

JetNut
2nd Dec 2007, 18:41
Stand by for a serious hiring frenzy at SAA starting January next year. Fleet recapitalisation plans will be approved by the board towards the end of Jan.

I suggest that those who are still interested in flying the biggest, and shiniest equipment in the sky whilst simultaneously enjoying braais in December under the African sky...dust off those cv's.

Contrary to popular belief, SAA is very much a cog in the 2010 machine...sorry emirates. Remember the recent signing of the Boks...the plan is slowly unfolding....

Alternative
2nd Dec 2007, 18:51
Long Live SAA!!!

Springola
2nd Dec 2007, 19:03
And, Jetnut, the source of your information is ??????????

The hiring frenzy will be to replace all the pilots who are leaving for greener pastures (or browner ones).

Problem is that it is not about flying big, new, shiny machines - it's about being proud of who you fly for, and the pride is gone. :( I now call myself Angola flying an SAA B747-400 between Luanda and Lisbon. Funny, these days it feels the same as using the call sign Springbok. Only consolation is the destination.

Q4NVS
3rd Dec 2007, 05:43
All future appointments will be P2 short haul. A340 P2's will do in-flight relief. It's the end of dedicated P3's at SAA.

Yes, possibly...:zzz:

But at J41 FO Salaries, confirm?

:sad:

SAASFO
3rd Dec 2007, 06:21
SAA management refused to accept SAAPA's proposal to reduce entry level salaries as they felt that this would not allow them to attract the best pilot candidates. They obviously realise how undesirable it is to work for SAA these days!

So new hires will still start at SAA at over R500k a year, but at least this time they will go direct entry as a P2 and this will eliminate all those who have hogged pilot positions at SAA as P3's when they could not fly and were only eliminated 3 or 4 years later when their P2 conversion finally caught them out.

Q4NVS
3rd Dec 2007, 06:52
Well atleast that changes the picture then, for some. Thanks for the honest feedback...

:O

airbusbatics
3rd Dec 2007, 08:00
Funny how rumours go.... I heard this rumour:

That TAAG was in negotiations with a Portuguese based airline, Euro Atlantic Airways, to operate those same B777's.

As TAAG have been banned from flying the EU this company would operate the aircraft for them beteween Luanda and Lisbon as they have a European AOC. Crews would be a mix of TAAG staff and a some Portuguese from Euro Atlantic.

But that would mean that the Angolans would have to get a JAA license, dunno if that would workout....

777Contrail
3rd Dec 2007, 08:37
And who will be maintaining all these shining new machines?

2 Months ago 38 techs signed to go to New Zealand, and 2 weeks ago another 80!

:hmm:

saywhat
3rd Dec 2007, 11:49
And who will be maintaining all these shining new machines?

2 Months ago 38 techs signed to go to New Zealand, and 2 weeks ago another 80!

Nationwides ex A/C mechanics;);)

SAA201
4th Dec 2007, 10:34
Does the fact that a TAAG B777 is currently parked at SAA Technical at FAJS have anything to do with this rumour?

akut
29th Jan 2008, 13:29
TAAG has 2 B772ER + 1 B772ER(D2-TEF) which´s not in Luanda yet!
the B772 u have seen in JNB is not from SAA, it´s TAAG´s regular route LAD-JNB-LAD!!

akut:eek:

Beta Light
30th Jan 2008, 06:44
Remember the recent signing of the Boks...the plan is slowly unfolding....

Yes, it has become cheap & easy to sign the Bokk''s now that all the senior players are overseas and the new coach has not proven himself yet . Political appointee NOT a merit selection (once again). Sponsors are big corporations, they are not going to pay top dollar if it is not going to get them max value back. The coming Tri-Nations will be proof of that.

As for braaing under the African sun, yip, have no choice as there is no electrical power in the kitchen. My parents are raising the brick wall as the 6 strand electric wire is now useless.

nijacitizen
3rd Feb 2008, 20:37
asianeagle, ummm.....english?

Beta Light
4th Feb 2008, 03:26
nijacitizen
It's an African Aviation Forum.
asian eagle speaking the latest in African most of us Africans understand.

UncleJack
4th Feb 2008, 05:13
This was probably started by management to stop the bleeding away of pilots scattering to all corners of the globe.

13 resignations in Jan