PDA

View Full Version : Am I going about this the right way?

Channex101
29th Nov 2007, 00:45
Hey
After years of sitting gazing at aircraft and peering into the flight deck (Currently cabin crew in UK) I have booked myself a trial lesson to see if I think I'm going to like flying before I commit to a PPL course. Now, I've spent many a late night on net researching as much as possible and going though endless pilot magazines looking for PL courses.
Ideally, I'm kind of aiming to do a frozen ATPL, for when I’m about 30 (24 now) so giving myself a few years to do it for funding etc.
Initially I was going to do a PPL in Florida and then aim to do ATPL theory by distance learning as I wouldn’t be able to attend a full time course just now. I’ve also just signed up to re do my GCSE is Maths and Physics as I didn’t do well in school first time round, I re sit these in the summer and then in Sept I will be enrolling on A level courses in Maths and Mechanics & Physics.
So, basically... am I going about it the right way? PPL in Florida, then keeping my hours up over here while I do theory ATPL before doing that in the states also, or should I maybe go back to the US sooner to do add on's like my IR, Night rating and CPL so I can instruct over here, building my hours and making a bit of cash towards my ATPL?
I know there are various ways around it, I’m not looking for the cheapest, I want to learn but I don’t want to make a hash of it, I’d rather pay a bit more and do it a bit more slow and steady.

Anyone got any advice? Any hints or tips? Any info at all is appreciated either by posting or by PM

Thanks

bluenose81huskys
29th Nov 2007, 01:20
To be upfront

Firstly check your spelling! You will be surprised how many people on here

will respect that to start off with.

All the best

Mikehotel152
29th Nov 2007, 07:52
Rivetting stuff, granted :E, but do you need maths and physics A-Levels?

Re-Heat
29th Nov 2007, 08:27
No, but if it makes you more comfortable to take those A-Levels, then no reason not to, particularly over the period of time you are saving for the course.

A and C
29th Nov 2007, 09:07
First forget the GCSE Maths & Physics............ You have bigger fish to fry!

There is nothing particularly hard about the ATPL exams the problem is volume so cluttering your head with GCSE's in not needed.

Training in the USA is not as cheap as you might think, by the time airline tickets, medical insurance, accomodation and car hire are taken into account the price creeps up.

The big problem is that training in Florida won't equipe you to fly in europe so I would guess that you would need 5-10 hours training in the UK before anyone will rent you an aircraft, this of course needs to be included in the Florida PPL price to make a realistic costing. Only then can you decide if it is cheaper in the USA.

Once you have the PPL I can help you with hours building at a total cost that is the same as the USA ( and sometimes cheaper) but with less risk being out of pocket at the end of the deal.

Channex101
29th Nov 2007, 09:31
Bluenose81huskys
Thanks for your reply, I didn't realise I was been graded on my English skills, after all this is just an internet forum isn't it?
But that said, post has been edited.

So, flying in Florida is not an option then? I was thinking about starting ATPL theory soon, does anyone know of any ground school that will let you pay as you go, one module at a time. Although paying for the ATPL course (theory) is not a problem, if I can stagger it, it means I can afford to take more flying lessons.

LL-Snowman
29th Nov 2007, 09:40
Chanex101,
Sounds like you know what you want. But it is a long road until that first job, believe me.
There are many ways of doing this. going to the US is an option, but as others have already said, it can be expensive when you have added all the little bits on, living, airline tickets etc. I would however recommend doing your hour building over there. I did 60 hours over in Arizona, and it was the best 3 weeks flying I have ever done.
My advice to you....get your PPL over here. Spend that little bit more to do it in the UK, because it will be benificial to you. Cut you teeth with a bit of PPL flying whilst saving a bit of money, then start looking at ATPL groundschool. Oxford Waypoint, Bristol....no doubt there will be a thread elsewhere on this site regarding GS.
I would seriously think about hour building in the states. If you want any contact details, PM me and I will sort you out with a good website for flying.
Once you've got the 150 hours you can start the CPL training. Once again, think about Oxford Waypoint - if you hour build in the US, then you will go straight to Phoenix to do the CPL/ME with them there.
Also Bristol Flying Centre are getting a good rep, and rightly so.
All in all, work hard, focus and never give in. Anyone can do this ATPL if they put their mind to it. I am living proof of this.
Hope this helps.
LL Snowman.

AlphaMale
29th Nov 2007, 09:48
So, flying in Florida is not an option then?

Nobody said that.

You need to add up the Pros and Cons, if you want a job in the EU/UK then a JAA is needed so if you add both the FAA CPL and FAA IR and then the cost of conversion you may end up with the same price for doing the full JAA CPL/IR here.

It has been said that airlines prefer pilots who did their training with a UK FTO in UK airspace but this is a rumour network.

If you decide to go to the US you might want to take loss of earnings into consideration. You'll spend around 3 months doing your FAA CPL/IR in the US and then you need a test for the CPL and a min of 15hrs for the IR and the test.

Do the sums and take the option that is best for you. Seeing the FAA CPL/IR at $10,000 each isn't always the price you pay.

I have also seen the prices that 'A & C' charges for AC rental and it's very very competitive compared to the US rates. Keep in mind you can take your friends and family for a flight if you do your hour building here as in the US you're on your own.

Megaton
29th Nov 2007, 09:51
I did my CPL in Florida and converted an FAA IR to JAR. Hasn't done any harm whatsoever.

che turner
29th Nov 2007, 13:01
Hello all

Just to say that to fly a jet you do not have a spell, there and captions out there who have dyslexia and can not spell to well, but they seam to be in a lot better place then some people on the site. don’t pay any attention to bluenose8huskys. You can make it with or with out your small spelling mishaps.

Best of luck.

Megaton
29th Nov 2007, 13:13
You don't have to be able to spell to fly a jet but you do have to get your application form through the recruitment process. If you can't be bothered to spell correctly you might not bother to check the tech log correctly or read your flt crew manual. Poorly presented application forms are the first ones to go in the bin!

ps I realise that this is just a bulletin board but it always pays to train the way you intend to fight :-)

No Country Members
29th Nov 2007, 13:47
Is any of this English tomfoolery actually relevant to the original question?

If Bluenose81huskys wants to start correcting people perhaps it might be an idea to think about not finishing a sentence with a preposition.

Channex101
29th Nov 2007, 16:47
I don't write like that all the time lol it is the internet for god sake!
I didn't have a problem when I received grade A in GCSE English language and Lit, nor in my A level (Which I also passed with a B).
Thanks to the people who actually replied to my topic, I was under the impression if you did a JAA PPL or ATPL in the states you didn't need to do anything over here, as its a European licence, and the school I am looking at has ties with Cabair in the UK, correct me if I am wrong though.

An FAA licence would mean I could only fly in the US right? however if the fligh school I attend in Florida offers me a JAA licence that is ok for the UK isn't it?

AlphaMale
29th Nov 2007, 17:24
I was under the impression if you did a JAA PPL or ATPL in the states you didn't need to do anything over here, as its a European licence, and the school I am looking at has ties with Cabair in the UK, correct me if I am wrong though.

You can do the JAA ATPL in the States.

You can sit the ATPL exams in the states too (distance learning or classroom) but there is more to the ATPL than a PPL and 14 exams. I am sure you're aware you'll need the CPL and IR too, meaning if you WILL have to come back to do the JAA IR.

I think you might get a discount if you train PPL > CPL at OFT and then convert you FAA IR at Cabair though.

An FAA licence would mean I could only fly in the US right? however if the fligh school I attend in Florida offers me a JAA licence that is ok for the UK isn't it?

Yes, but as above you wont get a JAA IR in the states.

Channex101
29th Nov 2007, 17:44
Smart Arse! lol
Thanks for focusing on the key points in this dicussion though.. :confused:

pilotincommand
29th Nov 2007, 18:35
You don't need the JAR PPL. The FAA one is valid in the U.K., can be used as the basis for upgrading to a JAR CPL and will save you the hassle of conversion if you want to hour-build in the United States. You can fly as soon as you pass the test, unlike in the U.K., and they don't charge in excess of £150 to issue it. It is also much easier to revalidate.

charliegolf
29th Nov 2007, 19:41
You can get by with the odd spelling error, but you really do have to be able to count accurately. You can't be 24 and born in 1976!

CG

bluenose81huskys
29th Nov 2007, 23:06
channex 101, I wasn't being funny or anything but like ham fisted

mentioned if you don't get your application form correct it will be binned upon viewing the first f*** up!

When your sitting within the presence of a board on your final interview for an airline there would be no waffling to them about getting out of your spelling mistakes because you would not be there in the first place.

I was in other words correcting you and no i am not on here correcting peoples spelling mistakes writing the english dictionary out for them.

At least in future now when you do fill in an application then you will think twice and remember that bluenose t**t on PPRUNE :)

All the best with what you want to do in future!

bluenose81huskys
29th Nov 2007, 23:38
FOK, Now Now lets not get bitchy about this!

For telling someone of their spelling mistake in a corrective way

has lead to this bitching!

Whirlygig
29th Nov 2007, 23:53
Edited to remove my polite, if slightly condescending grammar lesson now that someone else has found their courtesy switch.

Cheers

An impartial Whirls who is an incredible academic!!!!

PS - if anyone has any doubts about their use of English, please feel free to run it past me first!!!!! :}:ok:

bluenose81huskys
30th Nov 2007, 00:08
Well Done Whirls :D Your a good academic! :ok:

bluenose81huskys
30th Nov 2007, 00:30
Rest Assured Channex 101 after my bad start and the bitching off everyone else! The Bluenose is here to give you some advice.

A pilot licence lasts forever, but to exercise particular flight privileges (to fly particular planes and to fly in particular conditions), a pilot must have certain experience or endorsements. This means that if you haven't flown a type of plane for a while, you can't just hop in and take it for a fly. You must have flown a certain number of hours within a certain period of time or had a designated instructor evaluate you and sign you off as qualified. It's a very regulated industry, so don't worry: The person in the pilot's seat must be qualified to be there.To be a pilot, you need a commercial pilot Licence. You earn your licence by passing commercial pilot ground school and logging at least 250 flight hours, with allotted time dedicated to certain conditions and manoeuvres. After you have logged your hours and passed your written ground school exams, you will need to pass a flying test. A test is something like the driving test we take to get our driver's licence, The (CAA) examiner asks you to plan a flight, quizzes you on aviation matters and then accompanies you on a flight. As in a driver's licence test, the examiner requests that you execute certain manoeuvres and directs your flying throughout the entire flight. If everything goes well, the examiner issues you a commercial pilot's licence. Additionally, a commercial pilot needs an up-to-date first class medical certificate, For you to receive a 1st class medical certificate, an Aviation Medical Examiner at Gatwick must verify that you meet the health and fitness requirements to be a pilot. You need to get an instrument rating to fly with low visibility (in adverse weather and in clouds). You receive an instrument rating by passing instrument ground school, logging a specified amount of instrument flight time (flying without visibility) and passing an instrument rating. To fly planes with multiple engines (most of the planes in commercial use), you need to have some lessons and pass a multi-engine rating. At some point, most airline pilots also get an airline transport pilot licence. This highest pilot certificate allows you to be the pilot in command (the captain) of a large commercial aircraft. It requires that you pass a written test, have a first-class medical certificate, and have logged 1,500 flight hours including 250 hours as the pilot in command. To get a job, you need flight experience. Your level of experience is based on the number and complexity of aircraft you have flown, the quantity and complexity of the flying you did (jet or propeller, day or night, local or cross-country, flying with visibility or flying using only instruments, etc.) and which crew positions you've held. Briefly, in the late 1960s, some airlines took on people without a licence or flight time and trained them from the ground up. This was an abnormal practice, and it is unlikely to recur. These days, a major airlinetaking on a pilot with a freshly minted commercial pilot's licence (only 250 flight hours) is virtually unheard of. Most successful pilot applicants at major airlines have thousands of flight hours. Secondary airlines (regional or commuter) may have lower requirements. Timing is everything. You could be the world's most qualified pilot, but if there are no openings for pilots when you enter the job market, a good job will be very hard to find. It's that simple. Unfortunately, timing is something we have almost no control over. There are no guarantees in the airline business. You won't know how your career went until you retire and can look back at it. Boom-to-bust cycles in the economy are magnified in the aviation industry. Bankruptcy (http://www.howstuffworks.com/question714.htm), furloughs, airline shutdowns and consolidation have been a big part of the business for years. It can be, and has been for many professional pilots, a rough career ride with many different employers and lots of changes in jobs, towns and seniority. A wise airline instructor at my first airline job told the class, "The future in aviation is the next 30 seconds -- long-term planning is an hour and a half." These are the truest words about the business that I've ever heard.

Hope this helps, I am not all that bad! :)

davidc_482
12th Dec 2007, 05:53
All i can say is, just do what you want to do,
if you have something in mind and have a passion for it,
just do it!
Who cares if you have physics or how old you are
theres no limit in learning how to fly,
and me myself, as a 16year old, i'm currently a student pilot trying to get my PPL
i have no physics background other than knowing, work= force x distance

If you're thinking of making cash out of it,
it doesn't have to be out of big airlines,
once you get your CPL you are able to make profit with that license,
as in you can find a job with it. Things such as, sightseeing tours.

PS: you don't need to know how to spell, but you do need to know how to communicate verbally, in a clear and "understandable" way,

just my final words are: Just do what you want to do. When you get too old and you fail the medical exams, thats when you regret.

BitMoreRightRudder
12th Dec 2007, 12:43
I love bonkers threads like this one :D