PDA

View Full Version : BA LGW vs LHR (Long haul) what do you think?

WeLieInTheShadows
28th Nov 2007, 21:38
Hello.

As crew for BA at LGW, I would like SLF views on pace of service, service quality recieved etc etc.

The reasons for this are because at LGW we operate a reduced crew compliment, as well as other key differences.

I (and others) would appreciate some objective feedback on differences you've noticed in the way the product is delivered (on long haul), be they developmental or motivational.

I would like to add this is to a pi**ing contest between bases, but at LGW we feel we do not have the tools to deliver the job.

I personally would like to hear it straight from the customer if you notice ANY difference.

Thank you in advance for your replies.:ok:

jethrobee
29th Nov 2007, 10:36
I personally prefer heathrow for on the ground stuff (lounges, getting through security etc).

In terms of Service, I found that the BA lounge at LGW is far less friendly than the ones in both T1 and T4 at LHR. But then there are as you point out more staff in the LHR environment.

With regard to cabin crew, I would say that the flights I have done out of LGW long haul are more or less the same in terms of friendlyness and general quality of crew on the flights.

BA are my preferred long haul airline for flights to the USA, Middle-East and Far-East. Although I normally use Cathay when I am flying to Australia since I rate their service as the best of any airline I have flown.

spanishflea
29th Nov 2007, 12:00
General Frequent Flyer opinion is that whilst Economy is Economy, Club and FIRST out of LGW are regarded as significantly second rate to LHR.

Various frequent flyer sites will help you confirm this opinion better than this site IMHO.

jethrobee
29th Nov 2007, 13:11
I disagree with you, and being a frequent flyer myself (BA Gold for the last 6 years) I like to think I am well versed in their offering.

I found the crews looking after me out of LGW on the last few times I have flown have been wonderful. But then maybe I was just lucky.

I do stick by my comments on the lounge in LGW and the other facilities or rather the lack of them!

spanishflea
29th Nov 2007, 14:01
Hmm I disagree entirely, LGW lounge staff are always loads friendlier to me than at LHR.

The main point with BA at the moment really is lack of consistency across the airline, not neccessarily route specific. Good crew in F one way but then a terrible one the other, as well as things like wildly differing experiences with the lounges, obviously!

bbrown1664
30th Nov 2007, 07:29
If the same route operated from both locations, LGW would be my choice every time just to avoid LHR. Unfortunately, BA seem to be moving more and more to LHR and forcing us pax to suffer thehe pain that is Heathrow.

As for the crews, both great IMHO.

13Alpha
2nd Dec 2007, 15:20
I've flown BA longhaul, shorthaul and domestic from LGW and LHR extensively in the last couple of years and in my experience, LGW crews in general provide better and in particular, more cheerful service than their Heathrow counterparts.

In particular I've flown on the LGW-IAH route a lot, and the service and crew attitude has been consistently good. In contrast, possibly the worst service I've experienced was on the Houston-Detroit leg of a Heathrow bound flight. So I hope the move of this service to LHR doesn't result in a drop in standards.

Regarding the BA lounges, again I can't say I've noticed a lot of difference in the level of service, but at LGW you can still get into the First lounge if you're flying domestic, and there's still a separate check-in queue for silver/gold cardholders for domestic flights - don't think either of those are an option at LHR T1, where we regional frequent flyers are treated like the lowlife scum we apparently are.

For those and several other (non BA related) reasons I favour LGW over LHR.

13Alpha

VS-LHRCSA
2nd Dec 2007, 15:59
For as long as I can remember, LGW has usually come out better than LHR in the GPMs when it comes to on-board service. We used to do 42J with 3 crew on the old two-class 777, so 48J is just a stretch beyond that. It's not ideal but if you're organised in the galley you can get it done without too much impact on the passengers.

Big Bad D
3rd Dec 2007, 14:11
I find the LGW experience and levels of BA service, both in the airport and on the LGW based flights, to be generally great and just as good as LHR.

If a choice of LGW or LHR departures is available then I choose LGW every time it is practical. Why? It's not because of any preference of levels of service, but because my connecting flight from France arrives at LGW and I prefer the simplicity of connections rather than spending/allowing so many hours of my journey getting around London to LHR!

Final 3 Greens
4th Dec 2007, 11:34
Welieintheshadows

Sorry I can't help you, but after three years of strikes, threatened strikes and catering disruption, I now fly long haul (J and F) with a combination of LH and EK.

The real comparison is not within BA, but rather with your external competitors.

bealine
5th Dec 2007, 16:55
at LGW you can still get into the First lounge if you're flying domestic, and there's still a separate check-in queue for silver/gold cardholders for domestic flights - don't think either of those are an option at LHR T1

Unfortunately, the T1 First Class lounge is in International Departures, so travelling on a UK Domestic Flight you can only use the Domestic Terraces adjacent to Gate 5.

However, Silver/Golds and their One World equivalents (Sapphire/Emerald) CAN use the Zone R Premium Check In area to avoid the main terminal scrummage. However, you would have to go back into the main terminal to Zone East to enter the UK Departures security queue.

SLF3
5th Dec 2007, 17:42
Spent a happy 10 months doing LGW - IAH once a fortnight, interspersed with LHR - Lagos. Am now doing LHR - CAI once a fortnight.

LGW long haul in my opinion has a much more consistent and on average better quality of service than flights out of LHR.

LGW is horrible to get to / from, but the check in / security is better than T4. Agree the lounges are rubbish. Punctuality is way better than LHR.

LHR is horrible, but the lounges are better than LGW.

flybywire
6th Dec 2007, 14:29
Sorry I can't help you, but after three years of strikes, threatened strikes and catering disruption, I now fly long haul (J and F) with a combination of LH and EK.

The real comparison is not within BA, but rather with your external competitors.

F3G I do not blame you, I do not know LH, but after flying with EK a few times in business class on a relatively short flight, I started really doubting how could someone choose BA on the same route!!! No comparison, the food, the entertainment (which worked brilliantly) the kindness, politeness of the cabin crew, the very clear PAs from the pilots and the way all the checks were done so thoroughly. The service was very consistent and I even witnessed how the crew handled a disruptive passenger episode, not to mention the lounges and the fact that I didn't have to queue at all, both at check-in or at boarding! 10 out of 10. :ok:

VS-LHRCSA
7th Dec 2007, 03:34
I think the point that 'shadows is trying to establish is whether or not LGW crew have a case in which an extra crem member could be added to the compliment (consistent with LHR) due to service failures.

Unfortunately, by doing what they have do best at LGW (making do with what they've got) they have proved that the service hasn't suffered due to less crew. The likelihood of re-instating the lost crew member is minimal as we don't get adverse feedback that can be specifically related to having one less crew member - on an aircraft that has actually taken off.

flybywire
7th Dec 2007, 09:31
The service sometimes suffers at LHR even with the full cabin crew complement.

I wish they put an extra senior crew member on board, as it's very difficult for a cabin manager to look after F and J on their own. But I do not see this happen, with the lack of crew going on at the moment (which apparently is supposed to go on for a while).

LGW in general work much harder than their brothers and sisters at LHR and that's why the service might not have suffered as much as one would think. When it does, I still think it's the premium service that suffers the most. Which is a real shame.

LegallyBlonde
10th Dec 2007, 08:07
No comparison. LGW so much more passenger friendly, better service, logistically easier on departures and arrivals. And for one travelling on non-EU passport, well, what can you say about the Nazis at LHR immigration. Overall, LHR is feral.

Gatwick wins, hands down. BA should run more long haul services in and out of there.

(my experience mainly to and from USA)

:ugh:

10bob
12th Dec 2007, 11:57
Agree with all the earlier comments about ground facilities at LGW. I've flown numerous times in J out of LGW and LHR and to be honest I noticed no real difference in the air.

I'm quite surprised by the comments about EK versus BA. I've not flown F with EK, but in J I find the BA product to be far superior to EK. Better food, better wine and a much better seat/bed to sleep in. But then I try to sleep whenever possible, so I value seats that go flat far higher than good IFE.

Their lounge in Dubai is splendid, though :ok:

Horses for courses, I suppose.

Final 3 Greens
12th Dec 2007, 14:24
I'm quite surprised by the comments about EK versus BA.

Don't disagree with the J comparison on board, but EK have not disrupted my plans several times with strike and GG disputes, which is more important to me.