PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Transfer?

Flock1
28th Nov 2007, 16:37
Hi,
Can someone tell me the procedure for a transit through Dubai Airport. We'll be arriving from Manchester and ultimately be going onto Sri Lanka a few hours later.
Both flights are with Emirates Airlines.
Is it like other airports where you leave the first flight, head towards the transiting passengers signs and then go through security and wait in the departure lounge. Or will we have to check in at a desk?
Any help will be much appreciated!
Flock1

SA_C185
28th Nov 2007, 16:43
If you are checked through to Sri Lanka you will just proceed to the next gate as normal.

fendant
28th Nov 2007, 21:15
That's how it is, no hazzle, just walk to the other gate! Don't worry, it is not Heathrow:eek:. By the way, if you have spare time, shopping is great and they claim to have the lowest prices for god items. Furthermore there is always a lucky draw for Bentley', Mercedes, Porsche.... You can win by buying 100$ tickets.

EK business and first class lounges are truly outstanding!

Frank

Rainboe
28th Nov 2007, 23:20
The terminal is MASSIVE. You will be dog-tired, it will probably be the middle of the night, there will be hordes of people everywhere, the bathrooms will be working at capacity up until about 10am when it goes quiet. For a westerner, you may find the bathroom and bathroom habits of the occupants a little bewildering. You may walk a long way to your new gate, but worth checking out the shopping in the terminal. Try and get the use of a lounge- it is worth paying extra if you have time.

Islander Jock
29th Nov 2007, 02:50
If you're in the mood, head to the Irish pub for an ale and something to eat. I used to make it a ritual every time I passed through sometimes even in preference to being in the business lounges.

zed3
29th Nov 2007, 02:54
You also have to clear security straight after exiting the a/c - then you are let loose in the transit area . Don't wholly agree on the Emirates Business Lounge , whilst very good , they are too small for the amount of pax throughput at peak times . Very difficult to find seating downstairs in the no-smoking area . Better than milling around with the hoard for three or four hours though !

Flock1
30th Nov 2007, 12:58
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Flock1

MrSoft
1st Dec 2007, 07:56
Flock1, whilst accepting the many criticisms of DXB it is still one of my favourite airports. Transit can be very tiring but if both are on EK you should be fine. If you want a nice sanitised experience, you can always do it that way. If on the other hand you are an open minded traveller, you can also have a lot of fun people watching and soaking up the general vibe in the terminal. Ethiopians, Somalians, Indian migrant workers on their way home, rich Saudis, all rubbing shoulders, I like it. There are lots of pax sleeping rough on the floor. If that sight will spoil your holiday, fair enough. One tip, in the main duty free shop there is a great "local grocery" section where you can stock up on dates, figs, nuts etc. for your trip. Also, you can get a decent Thai/Indian/Lebanese meal knocked up fresh for you in the food court. In the loos, the cubicles alternate between Western style and local. Just wait if the right sort isn't free straightaway. Don't worry if it's a bit sloppy in there, it's just from prayer washing (usually!) Skytrax reviewers are scathing about DXB but it's really fine.