PDA

View Full Version : Hand Baggage

oldpax
28th Nov 2007, 01:35
Maybe this has already been discussed but I am fairly new to these forums.Why do airlines blatantly ignore thier own rules (almost all of them)of allowing one piece of hand luggae on board.I have seen people with items that are obviously too large for hand luggage struggling to get them in the overhead lockers,also the business types with weekend bags and a computer and duty free as well .Surely this is an infringement of safety rules,my safety.Can you do anything about it?

A2QFI
28th Nov 2007, 16:48
What do you want done and by whom? As long as your cabin bag meets the rules and you can find a space to get it into an overhead locker what other people do doesn't matter - or does it? That said, I too have noticed over size luggage and too much of it but it doesn't bother me personally!

oldpax
28th Nov 2007, 19:53
Yes well,one flight with a middle east carrier had so much baggage overhead that on a particularly heavy landing a lot of locker doors came open and baggage fell out,including duty free bags with those full glass bottles!Of course it bothers me its safety,that is paramount isnt it?If the rules say one piece why cant the airlines enforce it.Seems to be the selfish amongst us who cant wait for luggage to appear on the carousel!

Islander Jock
29th Nov 2007, 02:58
I remember SAA in Johannesburg had this well and truly sorted. You arrived at the door with too much cabin baggage and there was a ground staffer there with a fistful of bagage tags who would promptly relieve you of your excess allowable and have it loaded below. Some would try it on and argue but soon realise neither they nor their bags were going anywhere until they realised who was actually in charge of the operation.:ok:
Certainly a lot of the bags being wheeled down the aisle here in Oz to be loaded into o'head lockers would not fit the test units inside the terminal.

PAXboy
29th Nov 2007, 03:30
oldpax The main reason appears to be the usual one: Money!

In the USA, when Hub-and-Spoke ops were developing, transfer times were (are) often tight. So pax learnt that if they took bags with them in the cabin - they were more certain of making the connection. If the carriers insisted that cabin bag rules were enforced, then pax would go to another carrier that did not mind.

Also, on single sector trips, if carriers let pax flout the rules and bring more into the cabin - so that they do not have to check it in - then they get off the a/c faster and feel that they have enjoyed the purchasing experience even more. Stop the pax doing it and they will go to a carrier that does let them do it.

So: which carrier will enforce the rules first so as to ensure that they get a reputation for not letting you take your bag in the cabin?