PDA

View Full Version : Air Law question-Circling missed approach proc. ??? :S

cool_pilot
27th Nov 2007, 17:54
Hi all,

There is question that has been confusing me for awhile, so I thought I might share it with you guys.......

< On a circling approach on the reciprocal runway , you have to perform a go around......question is which runway's Missed approach procedure you would follow ? >

cheers folks :ok:

Max Angle
27th Nov 2007, 18:45
I believe that is incorrect. If you are circling from an instrument approach to another runway then you should fly the missed approach procedure for the approach you have just completed not the landing runway. You may have to make a 90 or even 180 degree turn over the airfield to achieve this so you must ensure that you stay within the protected area whilst you maneuver the aircraft to establish on the go-around track.

Gary Lager
27th Nov 2007, 18:48
Er...I disagree with JB007's (deleted) post. Max Angle is right. You should establish yourself on the missed approach procedure for the instrument approach used, not one for the landing runway.

Two practical reasons:

1) The landing runway might not have a missed approach procedure (particularly likely if it hasn't got an instrument approach)
2) There might be other aircraft using the instrument approach behind you.

If you have entered the 'circling' part of the approach (i.e. you have gone visual and broken off from the instrument approach) then turn the most sensible/expeditious way to re-establish yourself on the missed approach procedure - usually towards the airfield keeps you inside the proscribed protected circling area until above MSA, then route whicnever way is most efficient to get yourself on the missed approach.

Reference: PANS-OPS I-4-7.4

7.4 MISSED APPROACH PROCEDURE WHILE CIRCLING

7.4.1 If visual reference is lost while circling to land from an instrnment approach, the missed approach specified for that particular procedure must be followed. The pilot will make an initial climbing turn toward the landing runway and overhead the aerodronie. At this point, the pilot will establish the aircraft climbing on the missed approach track.

7.4.2 The circling manoeuvre may he carried out in more than one direction. For this reason, different patterns are required to establish the aircraft on the prescribed missed approach course depending on its position at the time visual reference is lost.
Or do whatever ATC say (if safe)!

edited because I type slowly

Dualinput
27th Nov 2007, 19:13
Go missed as per the procedure for the instrument approach ….The circling approach I believe ensures obstacle clearance of around 300feet only (294 is it??) if you are at your minimums….. So important point to remember as per the PANS-OPS is to immediately initiate a climbing turn towards the airfield initially!
cheers,

Whossat Forrus
27th Nov 2007, 19:21
In practical terms you should turn the shortest way back to the overhead and commence the MAP for the Instrument RWY you arrived on. HOWEVER, some airfields publish quite specific procedures for losing visual on a circling approach, quite often necessitating continuing the circle and the carrying out the MAP for that runway, not usually if a reciprocal is in use admittedly. If that is the case then a bit of guesswork and a stopwatch might find you a gap!!!! Did I just say that????;)

bfisk
27th Nov 2007, 21:13
Go around, climbing towards the runway area, aiming to join the missed approach track (and profile) of the published missed approach for the approach conducted, not for the runway.

Pugilistic Animus
27th Nov 2007, 22:12
Same missed approach criteria under the FARs.

Lose sight of that runway for other than a wingtip/ window post etc and you leave!!!---don't try a salvage maneuver ---

I believe a Lear 45 was trying a circling approach at Aspen and lost sight due to an intervening mountain---and they continued 'circling' because of pax concerns:* and had a CFIT---everyone killed of course---

Lastly, don't go below Circling mins for your category unless a stabilzed decent to the rwy is assured , basically a base or final leg.

JeroenC
30th Nov 2007, 14:18
Note that some countries, including the Netherlands, make you use the missed for the intended landing rwy.

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/071011-071122/eAIP/html/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHAM-en-GB.html#AD-2.EHAM

bill49miller
30th Nov 2007, 15:30
Agree with Pugillistic regarding FAR's and US military procedures. Climbing turn towards the airport/protected airspace until above circling minimums then shortest direction turn onto missed approach course for the instrument approach utilized.

dartagnan
30th Nov 2007, 16:17
easy to remember: you need one approach chart and the missed is on the chart.I dont see my self to change charts suddenly