PDA

View Full Version : Any help greatfully appreciated. Advice/info needed

gortoj01
27th Nov 2007, 15:45
Since a ripe young age i have always wanted to be a pilot in the armed forces i am now 19 and want to pursue my career choice as a pilot in the Fleet Air Arm (Royal Navy). I have all the minimum required qualifications that are requested for pilot, I have read the RN Website and been to my careers office, both of which didn't really offer me much information in what to expect in aptitude tests and what examinations and interviews i am likely to sit.
I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on what to expect from actually posting my officer enquiry form to getting to my goal of being either a fixed wing pilot or helicopter pilot. Purely so i have an advantage over other candidates as i will have a good idea on what to expect, and I will be able to prepare myself as much as possible.

kind regards

L1A2 discharged
27th Nov 2007, 15:54
gorto,

Look at the top of this page, there is a 'sticky' thread which will answer most, if not all, of your queries. Once you have read it add your question(s) if any to that thread ......

Stand by for some comments on grammar, spelling, use of lower case for 'I', as you will see from the sticky thread there are those who are intolerant of such major transgressions :O

Good luck,

L1

airborne_artist
27th Nov 2007, 15:55
Have you by any chance read this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=280990)?

Search it for FAA, Royal Navy, FATs and AIB.

The ACLO will brief you more thoroughly, particularly about AIB as/when you need it.

Beaten to it by L1A2 :ugh:

Just for starters, confirm that you don't suffer from asthma, nor do you need/wear glasses for any kind of reading, distance work etc?

Roland Pulfrew
27th Nov 2007, 16:46
Perhaps the Mods could change the title of the OASC thread again?

Maybe something a bit more eye catching?

Something like:

WANNABEES,FAA, AAC, RAF POTENTIAL AIRCREW CANDIDATES AND OASC ATTENDEES DON'T START A NEW TOPIC GET IN HERE FIRST

I know I'll get my colouring box.... Taxi for one!

Pontius Navigator
27th Nov 2007, 17:23
and insensitive to criticism and a jolly good egg to boot

gortoj01
27th Nov 2007, 18:38
I have read the other thread, which starts off very specific about the fitness side of things at oasc, and then kind of goes off on a bit of a tangent for pages and pages and pages..... what kind of things am i likely to expect in the aptitude tests, or the managers board? what characteristics are the FAA looking for in its candidates? what do they expect from you in an interview, that kind of thing, has anyone experienced any of the above with the FAA if so have u got any advice for me or info

airborne_artist
27th Nov 2007, 19:36
Jo - If all else fails, the f#*&^%g manual.

I said "Search it for FAA, Royal Navy, FATs and AIB". Sounds like you haven't done that yet?

I'm happy to help, but only when you've helped yourself. I'm up to speed on the current system, by proxy, as my daughter is hoping to follow her father (and her grandfather) into the RN.

gortoj01
28th Nov 2007, 15:08
I have searched for all those, the search tool is pretty rubbish seen as it will only let u search with a word minimum of 4 characters e.g. FAA not going to work. However I managed to find quite a bit of information eventually besides cant seem to find anywhere info solely on FATs, which I presume abbreviates to Factory acceptance tests, please correct me if i'm wrong. what do they involve? and also cannot find when I would do the aptitude tests.

regards.

Cyclone733
28th Nov 2007, 15:26
Here's a hint, when asked how you are at interview "Not bad" is not a good answer. Try searching the full term eg Fleet Air Arm, OASC is also a good start as the apptitude test will be near identical. I have a feeling you may want to search the admiralty interview board. Try having a look at the 'rumration' the Navy's unoffical site etc.

All the best

AngryDave
28th Nov 2007, 15:43
Check out:
www.thestudentroom.com

Go to the 'Armed Forces' Section of the 'Careers' bit. Its quite RAF biased but you should find out some useful info on the FAA and their tests, particularly aptitude, and most of the people there are either in the system or have been through the system so can help you a lot more.

Failing that just keep hammering away at the PPRuNE search or Google as there is a lot of info out there, you just have to know how to look for it.

gortoj01
28th Nov 2007, 18:30
I quote again "However I managed to find quite a bit of information eventually besides cant seem to find anywhere info solely on FATs, which I presume abbreviates to Factory acceptance tests, please correct me if i'm wrong. what do they involve? and also cannot find when I would do the aptitude tests" can anyone help as i have looked everywhere else

regards.

Al R
28th Nov 2007, 18:42
Gorto,

The sprogstasi will be biting their knuckles. Your prose, spelling and grammar continue to be up to speed.