PDA

View Full Version : PHS Austrailia

206Fan
26th Nov 2007, 19:12
Hi Folks..

Just wondering is there any pilots here who have trained with phs in oz??

Cheers..:ok:

Friendly Black Dog
26th Nov 2007, 20:09
Mate,

If you have sent emails, with no response, take your money elsewhere. There are plenty of other operators in the area.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers FBD:ok:

206Fan
26th Nov 2007, 21:04
Who else is in the brisbane area?? I thought phs were the only local ones!

outta track
26th Nov 2007, 22:35
Davy, Your best option is Chopperline, at Caloundra. A great bunch of highly experienced instructors and a great location!

206Fan
26th Nov 2007, 23:19
Outa Track, cheers for that:ok:

willybear
27th Nov 2007, 00:33
Hi

Other schools in the "Brisbane Area"

Beckers and Blue tongue at the sunshine coast.

Aeropower at Redcliffe

PHS and I think Heli-biz at the Gold Coast.

If you're thinking of living in Brisbane city Aeropower is the closest.

Hope this helps.

w

floatsarmed
27th Nov 2007, 08:03
PHS have been busy with lots of students willing to fork over the cash. In general they do a good job and have taught a lot of people how to fly over many years. They have the added bonus of running a busy tourist operation at Uluru where they give a few very lucky new commercial guys a 'start' in the industry. Shouldn't bother you, as you and your mates want to go private. However, this is why a lot of commercial guys go there with the hope of jagging a job.

Other posts have mentioned other operators in the Brisbane area. Also have a look further afield, Perth maybe at Heliwest or Jandakot Helicopters, North of Melbourne there is also Kestrel who are very busy.

Be aware that shiny websites don't necessarily equate to good training / value.

Do not had over large wads of cash to get an hourly rate discount before doing a few hours. If you don't 'gel' with your instructors then say something about it quickly as its YOUR cash and your training. If you get no joy then move on. Make sure your instructor has plenty of experience as getting a brand new instructor sometimes just doesn't 'cut it'. Some schools advertise that 'such and such' an instructor has 15 million hours of instructional time and if you are going to use his school on that basis then you should make sure that he does your training. The reality is that you get a guy who may only have a total of a few hundred hours of scenic flights and a brand new grade 2 instructor rating.

In general most of the schools in Oz are professional outfits and the instructors do a good job with their students. Some schools and instructors are obviously better than others but watch out for the sharks as the chopper industry is full of white pointers waiting for some more cash.

Have fun with your training.

Floats..... Armed:):ok:

anonythemouse
27th Nov 2007, 08:36
I've been doing some correspondence with ROTORLIFT in Taz for transfer of UK commercial licence and IR. Haven't got to the point of going down under yet but they have been very helpful. Obviously can't comment on the standard of their training but this post may bring a comment or two (about ROTORLIFT and not my personal post!)

outofwhack
27th Nov 2007, 15:01
I cant recommend Fleet Helicopters in Armidale NSW highly enough.

I feel more qualified than most making this recommendation. I actually trained at 2 different schools whereas most people naturally stick to one and believe its the best but have nothing to compare it to.

Fleet is so much better than the school I started my training with! It looks like the place I started my training with has had a hiding from CASA so your fairly safe now anyway.

Fleet Helicopters is a small operation with great attitude and very personal service. Friendly and enthusiastic is how I would describe the environment.

They also do real work with a couple of Longrangers.
Plus you can learn to fly in a real helicopter = Bell 47
I think they have a R22 as well.

Armidale is a lovely town high up (3500 feet) in the New England region of NSW. Great pubs. In my opinion much more refined spot than the rather more brash environments of the coastal schools.

OOW

ps. Having said that - still the most important factor is demeanor of the instructor you have. I cant believe Fleet would ever employ a bad or inexperienced one. Go do an hours flying at a few places isnt a bad idea!

ersa
2nd Dec 2007, 01:04
Davy07,

Give PHS a email on [email protected] or [email protected]

If you dont get any further email me back here.....

cheers

206Fan
2nd Dec 2007, 14:33
Yea the mate emailed them at them addresses, got no reply! Replied to your pm!