PDA

View Full Version : CV Format

KM737
26th Nov 2007, 16:42
Hi,

Can anyone advise me on a CV format for flight deck positions??? Please

BelArgUSA
26th Nov 2007, 17:31
As training manager, I get to read a lot of CVs...
xxx
I personally prefer -
- ONE PAGE CV, large print
xxx
Your name, postal address, phone, email address, then
Title: PERSONAL INFO
- 1 line with nationality and date of birth
- 1 line with education (highest schooling certificate)
- 1 line languages spoken (fluent/basic)
- 1 line with marital status/children
Title: FLIGHT CREW LICENCES (country)
- 1 line stating CPL, IR, ME...
- Other qualifications/licences (Flight Instructor)
- 1 line Medical Class/Date expires
Title: FLIGHT EXPERIENCE
- Total hours xxxx
- Airplane Multiengine (less than 5700 kg)* - xxx hours PIC
- Airplane Single Engine* - xxx hours PIC
- Instrument - xxx hours
- turbojet hours (and type aircraft) - xxx hours PIC/SIC
*no need to list types of lightplanes if applying with airline.
most airline chief pilots dont know difference between C-150 and PA-28
Final statement: "Current Passport - Availability: Immediate
xxx
Good luck to you
:)
Happy contrails

KM737
26th Nov 2007, 18:29
Thank you so much for your prompt reply BelargUSA.

Really appreciate it very much!!!!!

KM737
27th Nov 2007, 13:32
Hi,

Can you advise me, do i need to put down the organisations where i have trained or is this necessary,

Can you advise please,

Cheers,

Karl

BelArgUSA
27th Nov 2007, 14:46
Hola KM -
xxx
Personally, I just look at the licence level you have (i.e. FAA/CPL or JAR/fATPL) which tells me a lot about your qualifications. It does not matter (at least to me) where you got that licence.
xxx
Airlines have a training department... and use certain manuals, company SOPs which may be contrary to what you learned in that flight school. When you start initial training with an airline, you better forget all you learned in the past and abide by procedures and textbooks used by your employer.
xxx
I personally met pilots applicants, some have the FAA CPL/IR/ME certificate with 300 hours, who were trained in "Florida (somewhere)" and some other who were trained in "prestigeous UK air college" with a JAR/fATPL, and same 300 hours, and do not see the difference when we put them in a 737 simulator for evaluation. Can you proceed QDM 270º on a NDB and hold North, non-standard turns at 4,000 feet...? What holding entry...? When do you reduce to holding speed...?
xxx
Realize that airline chief pilots, or training captains who select you, have very little knowledge of "what school does what", and "where are the schools" - they just want to be sure you are able to succesfully complete the new-hire initial training, and qualify you as F/O, name it, on a A-320, or B-737, or MD-80, and if it takes 4 hrs extra time in the simulator... it does not matter.
xxx
Happy contrails

KM737
27th Nov 2007, 16:10
Thank you very much for all your kind help. if you could pm me it would be much appreciated.

KM

richatom
28th Nov 2007, 10:10
Belargusa, you like to see "languages spoken" on the CV - why? Is language ability valued in the recruiting process for airlines?

BelArgUSA
28th Nov 2007, 13:39
Richatom - bonjour/bonsoir à toi -
xxx
Well, all airlines are different, and the management people involved in the pilot hiring process are different as well. I try to convey to many, here in the forums or sometimes on PM, why an airline (in some cases, my own airline) have certain preferences.
xxx
You ask about languages - all airline pilots must be fully fluent in English, as it is needed for R/T and most if not all our technical manuals are in English. But if you do not speak Spanish (for the case of this airline in Argentina) you will be at a complete loss with the numerous memos, or intranet company messages written in Spanish, and converse with schedulers and dispatchers, if not with the cockpit and cabin crew, and maintenance technicians.
xxx
Example - last year we interviewed an Argentina citizen (born in Argentina) but he had lived from his young age in USA and did not speak a word of Spanish, yet well qualified (737 type rating) - we were unable to hire him. He finally went to the local Berlitz Language School here in Buenos Aires, and will be finally considered for hire in the future.
xxx
Could you imagine a pilot working for Air France, unable to speak French...?
Ça serait plutôt difficile, non...?
xxx
I was employed by PanAm for a good part of my career, but was based for a while in Germany (IGS) - was nice for me to be able to speak German, not only to be able to greet the passengers on PA in their language, on flights from Frankfurt to Berlin, we were "their airline" as Lufthansa could not fly the corridors... but also to take a taxi, order a meal in restaurants, and understand my phone or electricity bill when I lived there.
xxx
When I arrived in Argentina, I just knew basics of Spanish, but with my French, (I am Brussels-born) and the Latin classes I slept through in school, it took me only weeks to learn to insult people in "Lunfardo", the Buenos Aires dialect, and ask my girlfriend "¿me gusteria de morfar con vós, Che?". She became my wife... and the best language teacher, as she never learned to speak or understand my English... or French.
xxx
Languages - equally with sciences or technical school certificates, are a definite "plus" in a pilot background. English is primordial at airports or in the air when you fly all over the world, in these days and ages. But walk 2 blocks from the Sheraton at Paris-Montparnasse with some of your crewmembers to take the "Metro" to go to the "Sacré-Coeur", English is of NO HELP with the RATP agents when you buy a "carnet de tickets", or go shopping at the nearest "Carrefour" market for Camenbert cheese and Beaujolais Nouveau.
xxx
And now I will retire in Brazil, at the beach... and improving my Portuguese.
Honest, many airlines nowadays get involved with ACMI contracts in other countries, where other languages are spoken. Having a few crewmembers fluent in other languages is a definite help in getting such contracts.
xxx
Recently, I did a contract to train 747 Russian crews in classrooms in Moscow, and simulators in Miami and Frankfurt, and then to deliver the planes with these crews to Moscow. My 50 words of Russian, and ability to read their Cyrillic alphabet was great help when I was there. All contracts start with a handshake and good social relations...
xxx
Languages are a tool of good communications. When in a foreign country, you are the "ambassador" of your country, and represent your airline. The languages you speak are one of the means to reach a respected status with others.
xxx
Happy contrails

richatom
28th Nov 2007, 16:24
Thanks for that info. I'm lucky enough to speak five languages, and find them indespensable flying around Europe. Indeed, I wonder how monoglot pilots ever manage to get anything done! But once when I mentioned my languages to an airline recruiting officer he said it was of no advantage at all in their recruitment process. I guess it depends on the airline.