PDA

View Full Version : Visas for the USA.

Wyler
26th Nov 2007, 11:18
In 2005, I was stopped from crossing into the USA from Canada because I did not have a machine readable passport. The very nice Border Gurards, however, gave me a waiver and let me in for the day.

I now want to return to the USA but the rules state that if you have been refused entry previously, you need a Visa which involves an interview etc.

My question is, was I refused entry? I was allowed in with a waiver. Does that count? All advice, pointers gratefully received.

Standard Noise
26th Nov 2007, 11:52
AFAIK, the Visa Waiver programme only applies to people with Machine Readable Passports and those who do not possess MRPs must apply for a visa. Although I could be wrong.

Check the US Embassy website.

UniFoxOs
26th Nov 2007, 12:17
Also if you are Irish and have a British machine-readable passport you won't get in with a visa waiver, you need an Irish one. (The Boss's MIL discovered this the hard way)

UFO

Saintsman
26th Nov 2007, 14:35
I wouldn't take the chance.

Some of those Immigration people can be quite difficult at times.....

AdamC
26th Nov 2007, 18:19
Not worth the risk, we all know how difficult USA immigration can be.

Perhaps try get in touch with USA/UK immigration and find out what action you need to take, it could be that you need take no action and travel as normal.

fendant
26th Nov 2007, 18:50
The INS ( International Nuisance Service ) can be pretty rude ( although they all underwent friendliness training by ex East German borderguards ) and send you back on the plane when you land in the states. They get your data you submit at check in in advance. The airline will charge you full fare for the return trip.

I would in your case get a B1/B2 visa the proper way through the inquisition process at the consulate/embassy in the country where you have your residence. Be prepared for first begging to get an appointment before you leave, take a solid warm coat because they do not respect the times agreed and let you sweat and rot outside and then being treated and interrogated like a criminal.

Welcome to the US of A, the rudest and most unfriendly state you can travel to! At least its cheaper now due to the American Peso

Frank

PaperTiger
26th Nov 2007, 20:02
My question is, was I refused entry? I was allowed in with a waiver. Does that count?They let you in. You were not refused entry. Assuming this "waiver" was a verbal one not involving any paperwork then there is no record of it.

Make sure you now have a MRP though; you won't get any kind of waiver any more.

derekl
29th Nov 2007, 01:03
PaperTiger is correct: you were not refused entry in the meaning intended. But you must have a machine readable passport issued by a visa waiver country. Also, visa waiver is meant to apply when you enter the U.S. directly from country of origin only -- you went in through Canada, so they were nice to you.

Incidentally, I have been treated with unfailing courtesy by the INS (now BCIS) on my hundreds of visits to the U.S., although I have had a temporary resident visa for the last nine years. It's nice being greeted with "Welcome home". Better than I get when I return to the UK.

Wyler
29th Nov 2007, 07:47
Many thanks all.

Just returned from Oman by BA. As we taxi'd in there was a 'welcome home' announcement. Nice touch.

renfrew
1st Dec 2007, 16:02
derekl
The Visa Waiver Program allows entry from Canada over the land border.
The US Embassy London site has a pretty good explanation of how the system works.

CR2
2nd Dec 2007, 23:05
fendant, your advice is off the mark.

Listen to PaperTiger.