PDA

View Full Version : Help for Heroes

luke77
26th Nov 2007, 10:29
Hi guys, please forgive me if this has been mentioned but if any charity deserves my vote then this one does! Now, I DO BELIEVE THE GOVERNMENT should do more for our guys, but that's another story:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Epimetheus
26th Nov 2007, 10:41
Luke,

A previous thread was opened in early Oct at http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=294419&highlight=helpforheroes but it generated only 9 replies of mixed opinion.
Maybe your new thread will stimulate more interest.

luke77
26th Nov 2007, 10:46
Thanks mate, I only just got a brochure, donated and will post on the BA pilots website, any help is good

KNG2007
26th Nov 2007, 15:12
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article506484.ece:ugh:

This is from the same people who only gave Combat Stress last year £2.5 million. leaving the charities having to raise £6million a year to meet the demand. The same MOD who ahave a budget for hospitality and entertainment in 2007-08 of £6.228 million

OOpsIdiditagain
26th Nov 2007, 17:34
They are doing a great job and do a nice line in those fancy wrist bands too. Got mine and one for Mrs Oops and the 3 little hiccups. I also posted the thread in an e-mail to all in my address book to try and move things along. Might I make so bold as to suggest other pruners do the same.

The wristband has been noticed by several and, I hope, generated suitable actions.

Truckkie
26th Nov 2007, 17:39
I too have purchased an armband and a natty little keyring for Mrs Truckkie. I urge all to check out the website and do your bit, you can donate as little as £2.

Sentry Agitator
26th Nov 2007, 18:54
Both the agitators have one and we commend to all to do likewise.

Does anybody know if the SWO's are taking a 'dim view' to the wearing with uniform? Yes I know all about trinkets but surely this is for the greater good of our colleagues.

Perhaps the wristband should be endorsed in a similar manner to the poppy for Armistice. I'm not saying it should replace the poppy but rather the statement it stands for is significant in its own right.

SA

barnstormer1968
27th Nov 2007, 08:41
I have one, and wear it all the time. I have needed to be filmed for various reasons/awards recently, and have made sure it was highly visible each time.
I wear it on the same basis as my "Op Nimby" tee shirt, that of, it might not provide much money to charity, but at least it raises the profile. Maybe if enough of these items are seen in public, some vote hungry politician will add his weight to the campaign*.

*I am not expecting any of the current government to actually care for our troops in any way, this would be a fantasy in a time when a private company (Northern Rock etc.) clearly deserves their support in monetary terms.
BUT these greedy leeches will do almost anything to stay elected, so if their vulture like eyes spot enough wrist bands in public, then they may just decide that it's suddenly an extra worthy cause.

Barnstormer1968

Butty
29th Nov 2007, 18:42
Did I see Jeremy Clarkson wearing one on last Sunday's Top Gear?

Top Right
30th Nov 2007, 11:04
Possibly - he is one of the patrons

DummyRun
30th Nov 2007, 21:58
Help for Heroes are organising a sponsored Big Battlefield Bike Ride across northern France next year, details on the H4H website, and old Dummy, on returning from the pub obviously feeling much younger and fitter, decided to apply for a place which much to my amazement I got. Just wondered if any other Ppruners are doing the same ride?

Don't worry, I'll do the nagging, begging sponsorship bit in the new year!!

KNG2007
1st Dec 2007, 11:49
Near the thousand mark. If you can send this petition to all your email addys please as I'm sure Joe public do not have a clue that this is going on. MOD and in particular the Veterans minister Derek Twigg has been avoiding the issue since its first surfaced..I don't want this to happen. Two Jernos have already picked up on this however I am still waiting for answerers to questions from Twigg before I let them loose. This is another way of helping such Charitys as H4H

Thanks for your efforts so far :D

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/servicecharities/#detail

Smudger552
4th Dec 2007, 10:58
Great plug for H the H on Top Gear, with James Blunt doing his bit in a 'Reasonably Priced Car'......:ok:

Smudge

Beagle-eye
4th Dec 2007, 15:21
I’m currently selling an item on eBay (first time for me) and there is an option to donate a percentage of the sale price to charity.

At the item is military/aviation related I thought that it would be good to make a donation to HFH.

Problem is … HFH is not there on the list of charities. There are a number of RAF related ones, along with SSAFA, British Legion etc.

Don’t know how you go about registering your particular charity with eBay but it might be worth looking into.

B-E

Top Right
5th Dec 2007, 21:28
Big item on evening news about a glass building extension to the Tate. Some kind of monstrous carbuncle shaped out of 18 inter-leaving boxes, planning permission all agreed (no doubt over some cocktails somewhere), and how much is the government contributing to this facility for Contemporary Art ..... ? £50M

And Headley Court needs £5M for a pool and new gym facilities for rehabilitating our wounded.

Choked. Seriously choked.

Yes, I know, different budgets etc. If I could just wake up tomorrow and hear the govt has dropped its contribution to £45M because it had rethought its priorities towards our injured ...... I could begin to have faith in their humanity.

Choked.

flyerhigher
7th Dec 2007, 15:42
What a great cause "help for heros" is! Hopefully something close to the US version.

9.81m/s/s
8th Dec 2007, 18:00
Great idea for the wristbands - I am a little miffed tho that I can buy 2 for £4 and then pay £3.95 for p+p !!! It's not the money that bothers me but the sentiment !!! Can these bands be bought over shop counters without an extortionate middleman cut? And if not then COME ON Royal Mail/COURIER SERVICE show some good cause boll***s and deliver free.

Shack37
8th Dec 2007, 20:35
H4H and petition done.
As someone said earlier, Joe Public needs to be made more aware on this subject. Recently had a trip to the US and on leaving the airport passed under a banner over the exit door which had this message "To all our troops, welcome home and thank you"
A sentiment conspicuous by it's absence in any of the UK airports I pass through.
s37

Siggie
10th Dec 2007, 10:53
I tried to buy a couple of wristbands to 'fly the flag' down under (Ex RAF, now RAAF), but there is no overseas option on the postage. I sent an email to them, but they're understandably busy with such a great cause and as yet had no response. Any prooners out there willing to send me a couple? All costs will be paid by bank direct deposit prior to posting. Please PM me if anybody feels able to do this, thank you.

Exrigger
10th Dec 2007, 16:37
Apparently there where guys in combats in Lincoln High Street yesterday selling the bands, my daughter bought one.

olderbloke
18th Dec 2007, 18:04
I bought one via the Sun website... ...the p&P was 50p I think.