PDA

View Full Version : Inop nav lights and the law

Squealing Pig
25th Nov 2007, 11:36
Had a tech issue a few nights ago regarding nav lights that prompted a recollection of a rule from my dim and distant ATPL writtens days where you could still depart at night with a nav light inop only with agreement of ATC

I can’t seem to locate it in the ANO and just curious if the rule exists or ever did exist.

Can anybody throw some light on the subject or tell me where to find the rule?

Thanks

PS Good job there’s 2 bulbs in each wingtip....

HAWK21M
25th Nov 2007, 12:03
Not all Aircraft types have Two Bulbs per wing tip.
regds
MEL

Earl
25th Nov 2007, 12:21
MEL or DDPG is the best guide for this.
Most aircraft require at least one working light in each position for night ops.
Looking at the L-1011 it states this, pretty sure the Boeing DDPG/MEL says the same.

issi noho
25th Nov 2007, 13:27
UK ANO
From SI 1987 no 1812

(4) For rule 10 there shall be substituted the following —

"Failure of navigation and anti-collision lights

10—(1) In the United Kingdom, in the event of the failure of any light which is required by these Rules to be displayed at night, if the light cannot be immediately repaired or replaced the aircraft shall not depart from the aerodrome and, if in flight, shall land as soon as in the opinion of the commander of the aircraft it can safely do so, unless authorised by the appropriate air traffic control unit to continue its flight.

(2) In the United Kingdom, in the event of a failure of an anti-collision light when flying by day, an aircraft may continue to fly by day provided that the light is repaired at the earliest practicable opportunity." .

From Manual of Air Traffic Services CAP493

18 Failure of Navigation Lights

The pilot of an aircraft which has experienced a failure of one or more navigation lights may, in accordance with the RoA, request permission to continue the flight to destination. Controllers should take the following into consideration before authorising the flight:

a) Normally permission should be granted if flight is to be continued wholly within UK controlled airspace. Flight outside the UK under these conditions may not be authorised unless permission to continue has been obtained from the adjacent controlling authority;

b) If the pilot’s intention is to fly outside controlled airspace he should be instructed to land at the nearest suitable aerodrome. Selection of this aerodrome is the responsibility of the pilot although he may request information to assist him in making his decision. Under certain circumstances the pilot may decide that the nearest suitable aerodrome is his original destination.

Earl
25th Nov 2007, 13:47
I think the original question was to depart at night with a Inop Nav light?
This was on the ground prior to departure, possibly discovered on the preflight walk around, I presume.
In flight it is normal to continue, unless someone informs that the light is inop, other traffic ATC etc, you would never know anyway, even then I have never known anyone to turn back or not to continue.
:=.
As far as before departure it would probably take a waiver or permit from the FAA or CAA what ever the case may be.
No other local governing regulations less than the FAA or CAA can override the manufacturers MEL/ DDPG.
I doubt they would issue one anyway, they would just tell you to fix the light.
Be careful though as in some aircraft the second bulb will not work until the anti collision light is on.
This is Ok to depart and complies with the regs.
Hope this helps.

Squealing Pig
25th Nov 2007, 14:10
Thanks for the replies guys and for the reference. Incidently the MEL does say no lights no play, but it brought about a discussion on the night that has been niggling at me ever since.
Cheers
SP

PantLoad
25th Nov 2007, 14:18
The airline's MEL, which, by law, is at least as restrictive as the manufacturer's MMEL (part of the certification process) is what governs. In the event of an aircraft equipped with two nav lights...a spare, so to speak...and one of the lights is inopt, the aircraft can depart using the second nav light, provided the MEL allows this AND provided an MEL is issued for the inopt nav light.

Yes, that's right....an MEL has to be issued, even though the second (spare) nav light is operational and utilized.

With regard to little airplanes (non-airline aircraft), I have no idea what relief can be granted by FAA. I'd have to read the regs, but, offhand, I'd say you need to get the light fixed before night flight.

I have no idea what JAA allows....

PantLoad

Spitoon
25th Nov 2007, 14:21
issi noho's reference is a little out of date. The current UK legislation is Rule 48 of the Rules of the Air Regulations 2007.Failure of navigation and anti-collision lights
48.—(1) Paragraphs (2), (3) and (4) shall apply to aircraft in the United Kingdom.
(2) An aircraft shall not depart from an aerodrome if there is a failure of any light which these Rules require to be displayed at night and the light cannot be immediately repaired or replaced.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), if the aircraft is in flight and any such light as is referred to in paragraph (2) fails and cannot be immediately repaired or replaced, the aircraft shall land as soon as it can safely do so, unless authorised by the appropriate air traffic control unit to continue its
flight.
(4) An aircraft may continue to fly during the day in the event of a failure of an anti-collision light provided the light is repaired at the earliest practicable opportunity.

Now I'm not a lawyer but I've worked with some and I find paragraph 2 rather amusing. No doubt some lawyer will one day argue that an aircraft is permanently grounded if it doesn't have a system to immediately fix a broken nav light!

Earl
25th Nov 2007, 14:49
At night with an Inop nav light it is grounded if the MEL states this.
Which most do, would like to hear of a MEL that allows this, maybe airbus does as I am not familiar with there operations, but I really doubt it.
If the second light does not work and there is no nav light in that position for night operations it is indeed grounded.
Takes a ferry permit from the CAA/FAA to go around this.
That usually means no passengers.
I know it sounds strange but these are the regulations.
Maybe some crews will carry it to the next station for repairs, but we have all been know to try and work with maint to help the operation, but this is not the correct way, one day it will get everyone in trouble.
I dont like lawyers but could you imagine one of them after an accident saying the crew operated against the rules or MEL?
No one has the authority to do this except ones mentioned above.
As far as the MEL/DDPG a company can make them more restrictive but never less restrictive than the original MEL/DDPG.
Sorry but this is the regs,