PDA

View Full Version : Hours needed for JAA CPL.

matrix777
25th Nov 2007, 01:37
Hi Folks,
Can someone confirm the following for me. I'm a little confused on the exact hours required.
I currently have 144 hours of flight time.
I know that before I can start my JAA CPL training all schools advertise that an applicant must have 150 hours of which 100 must be P1.
What I can't get my head around is that to obtain a CPL the LASORS document says "one must have a minimum of 200 hours."
If my calculations are correct a CPL with ME rating is approx 31-32 hours bringing total hours after CPL to approx 181/182 if pre CPL course applicant has 150 hours total flight time.
Am I right in saying that you can do your CPL test when you have in this case completed the CPL course at approximately a grand total flight time of between 181-182 hours. But that you just can't apply to obtain the physical licence until you have a total of 200 hours in your logbook even though you have the CPL test completed some 18 hours previously.
If someone can shed some light on this, it would be very much appreciated.
Many Thanks.
Matrix777 :)

Nichibei Aviation
25th Nov 2007, 05:30
Yes you can pass the test but you need to have 200 hours on your log before you apply for the license.

portsharbourflyer
25th Nov 2007, 09:01
Matrix,
You are pretty much correct,
150 hours total time to start the CPL. The 100 hours p1 is for license issue, so for example if you have 150 hour total but only 95 p1 you can still commence the CPL training.
200 hours total of which 100 needs to be pic for licence issue.

However if you are doing the IR straight after the CPL then you can use the flight time on the IR course to take you over the 200 hour mark; also it is cheaper to submit your IR and CPL application at the same time to the CAA than if you submit the CPL and IR applications separately.

Mercenary Pilot
25th Nov 2007, 09:48
and just to add to portsharbourflyer's post, if you submit your CPL and IR at the same time, the CAA will put your ME rating on there for FREE! :eek:

(or that used to be the case anyway) :)

cawka
25th Nov 2007, 21:12
Is it allowed to do a 50-hours IR course (as CPL holder) in a twin if you don't have your CPL with ME rating issued, but have your skill test passed for those?

matrix777
27th Nov 2007, 00:54
Thanks everyone above for taking the time to reply.

Very much appreciated.

Cawka, to answer your question, going from what I've read in a few JAA sales brochures I would say that it is possible to reduce the IR to 50 hours from the full 55 as long as you have the CPL/ME test already complete.

Hope this answers your question.
Regards,
Aobtron :D

portsharbourflyer
27th Nov 2007, 08:45
Matrix,
I can confirm that you are correct, for the 50 hour IR course you just need to have the CPL and MEP skills test passed, you do not need to have the ratings/licenses issued. On test day you will just need to present the skills test pass certificates (forget the correct name but it is the white A5 sheet that the examiner gives you at the end of a test) that shows you have passed CPL and MEP.
Also some schools would allow you to do the MEP skills test on the 170 assessment flight at the end of the IR course. Therefore you didn't necessarily need to have the MEP rating passed prior to commencing IR training.

cawka
27th Nov 2007, 09:03
Thanks for your help, guys!