PDA

View Full Version : PC logbook recommendation?

richatom
24th Nov 2007, 15:37
Anybody have any recommendations for logbook software? I need something in JAR/FCL format (preferably same columns as the Jeppesen JAR paper logbook), and it must have import function (import from csv file or whatever). Freeware would be nice, but I'll pay if it is good.

Telstar
15th Dec 2007, 15:03
I'll second *********. I trialled everything I could find, this was the one best orientated to JAR commercial flying. Tracks everything I need, and with a very simple and clear interface. The tech support also puts it ahead of all others, e-mails answered within the day, usually.

kite
15th Dec 2007, 16:09
I also tried a few out and eventually opted for Fliteware Logbook2. You can set the field lengths which makes the cursor jump to the next field if, say, you enter an airfield in IATA format rather than ICAO. Data entry speed is important to me and it also had all the features of the other progs I tried. It has import capability for certain file types and gives a JAR layout but not sure if identical to Jepp paper logbook.

Nearly all of them offer a trial, so experiment and try to give them all a shot. Ultimately it's a personal thing so take your time. The pilots I fly with have a large and varied array of electronic logbooks. I haven't seen a decent free logbook.

The last thing you want is to start one then later decide you really prefer another.

Down Three Greens
15th Dec 2007, 20:23
I third Pilots Pal!!

G--SPOT
16th Dec 2007, 09:28
I haven't used this one yet, but hear it's good - pilotlog.

Good feature is being able to use normal mobile as opposed to one of those PDA things.

Red Eyed Dog
16th Dec 2007, 14:09
For my money I would take a serious look at FlightLog Professional. It seems this software has a very dedicated following, including me and some pretty nifty features when you get into it.
You can import from 'csv' files provided they are firstly formatted as required ... a bit of Excel macro knowledge could be useful here and there is a typical JAA format report/printout too.
As for technical support, I've been dealing with these people for a while now and for what questions I've had to ask, I've had them all answered within 24 hours ... guess that most likely puts them close to or at the top !
Great, free PDA/smartphone flight recorder too.
Otherwise I second Kite's comments ... other than the software chosen of course ;)

cheers
RED

NW3
17th Dec 2007, 23:04
You might try the Henry Bevan site if you're interested.

NW3