PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Ground School in just 5 months?

captainyonder
24th Nov 2007, 14:40
As previously metioned in another thread, I am somewhat time limited with my ATPL studies. I can dedicate roughly 30 - 35 hours a week to my ATPL studies around my job, but has any body been through the Bristol system in such a short space of time? I'd be looking to take my first modules in February next year and the second in April or May. Luckily I already have done a lot of studying independently but I'm still wondering if it can be done?

mcgoo
24th Nov 2007, 14:55
anythings possible, I knew one guy there who completed module 2 in 2 weeks.

HomerJay
24th Nov 2007, 15:00
30-35 hours isnt that limited.

5 months is very tight though with the amount of material to get through, depends how you get on though so there's no real way to tell.

captainyonder
24th Nov 2007, 15:13
Module 2 in just 2 weeks!! Wow! Had he done any prior study or did he just work through the whole lot on the Question Bank?

The way I see it is that it is possible to do it in the 4-5 months that I have heard many people have done it in, but surely that is by learning from the Feedback and not so much the full course material?

Yahweh
24th Nov 2007, 15:39
Does that include the two weeks in house? :eek:

redsnail
24th Nov 2007, 16:07
I know someone who did the first module in August 2002, passed the exams, then did the second module in September 2002 and passed the exams. I think he spent a good deal of the time in the pub. :ok:

Finals19
24th Nov 2007, 17:43
Its been done and is still being done. That is one helluva lot of work to get done in a short period of time. The progress tests require you to have read 90% of the notes to pass, unless you have previous aviation knowledge to JAR level (unlikely unless you're a total anorak!) No brush up until all progress tests submitted. Thats assuming you don't cheat :=

Mod one is a lot more conceptual IMHO. So it takes longer and requires you to brush off those old trigonometry / algebra notes. Mod 2 is more "content learning" based, although the electrical theory is trivial to the extreme a la JAR....

I would say a min of 6 months for both mods if you're committed to it. If you are very sharp and can learn very quickly, then no doubt less.

littco
25th Nov 2007, 15:29
Yes it is possible, I did mine in 5 months. The hardest part was definately Mod 1. I did mod 1 in 3 months and then mod 2 in 2 months, this was the time from starting the course work to sitting my last exam. Don't get me wrong it was very hard work and you pass the exams 1st time but it is possible. Certainly by the time I got to the Mod2 revision course I knew what was involved and was better prepared. I know when I started Mod1 it was all very daunting and I didn't know what to expect etc but by the end it certainly becomes easier and possibly why you can do the 2nd module quicker. I think the average though is between 6-12 months but I do know a giy that sat his mod 2 exams the month after his mod1 so anything is possible

And as Roy Castle used to say

"Dedication oh, oh, dedication oh, oh , dedication, that's what you need.
If you want to be the best, soar above the rest.
Who-oh Dedication's what you need" :-))

mcgoo
25th Nov 2007, 16:26
Who actually puts their exam marks on their CV then??????

All Up Weight
26th Nov 2007, 09:44
captainyonder

I've just finished at Bristol GS after 5 months study - Mod 1 exams in August and Mod 2 exams in November - all passed first time although I gave up work to concentrate on the study. I looked at full time schools (OAT, Atlantic etc) but why waste money on these. Bristol course notes are excellent, the brush-up courses and instructors are excellent and the OQB is great for revision. Also means you get to stay at home and help your partner......cooking, cleaning, ironing....there's always a downside!

So it's possible to achieve in 5 months but you need to be focussed.

2close
27th Nov 2007, 10:39
I did the same as AUW.

Packed in work at end of September 06 (but had done a little part time studying during August and September), attended Mod 1 in October and Mod 1 Exams in November. Booked straight in for Mod 2 in February 07, lived in the library through November, December and January and sat the exams in March 07. All FTPs with a good average so it can be done.

Skysurfer1
7th Mar 2008, 21:01
I'm on my first day of studies with BGS and its taken me 2hrs per chapter!!:bored: I'm wondering what should the length of each chapter be??
I have a Canadian CPL/ME no IR.
I'm finding it quite overwhelming the amount of work firstly. I'm excited to have the end result of all this study.
I'm finding the chapters to be so long, due to the fact I have never gone so indepth with the topics! Yeah, I know what a rhumb line and Great circle is...but we need to know forumulas for convergency etc...so many formulas! I've only done basic trig and algebra! I'm starting to get confused and not being able to distinguish the different formulas and what one is used for what. :ugh:
I'm reading then writing a summary of what i've read, in order for me to remember and understand if its a first time topic. I then get to the end of the chapter and sweat with the prospect of the quiz. You see, i need to have perfect and if i don't understand the concept, cause they twist the question, frustration kicks in and then i need to read it over and over and then desire new questions to re-practice what I think i've fully understood.
I've got the first Progression test tomorrow, and won't complete it til i go over the notes again!! I will worry I will forget a bit...and if i'm stuck during the progress test, i'm sure its ok to have a quick look to jog my memory....
AHHH..vicisous circle!!
Any advice?:sad:

magicmick
21st Mar 2008, 20:54
It is absolutely possible to get it all done in 5 months, I started at the beginning of December 2006 and got the last exam completed 3rd May 2007. I used to drop my son at school at 9am and start studying, finishing at 3pm to pick my son up and then studying from about 7pm until 10pm every evening Monday - Friday. I also used to study weekend evenings. I managed to pass all exams at the first attempt with a 93% average which is more a testament to the quality of the notes and the instruction during the brush up courses.

I did have some aviation experience before starting the course having completed 22 years as an avionics technician in the military. But by no means did I know an awful lot and I am not at all academic and being 40 years old when I started the course then age was not on my side.

I cannot recommend the course enough the notes and the instructors are superb. I sincerely wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do but the whole lot in 5 months is there for the taking.

phantomcruiser07
21st Mar 2008, 22:36
I am planning on ordering the Bristitol GS soon, can anyone here advise me of any maths and physics to brush up on before I start?

Thanks in advance.