PDA

View Full Version : No 10 Petition for a National Remembrance Day

6Z3
24th Nov 2007, 14:24
Guys. This seems like a good cause. Create a new public holiday on the Monday after Rememberance Sunday. If you agree you can sign up here: (http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/remembermonday/)

dallas
24th Nov 2007, 14:42
Won't this just be exploited by the resident morons as an opportunity to get p!ssed on Sunday and/or go shopping on the Monday at the outlet centre?

I think 11 Nov does the job - people know what Remembrance Day is, even if they don't do anything to mark it.

6Z3
24th Nov 2007, 15:17
Dallas,
My, you've got an old-fashioned view of our priorities
it's a public holiday between Aug and Dec

Impiger
24th Nov 2007, 15:28
I was abroad last year for Armistice Day and everything in Belgium came to a complete halt. No shops, no petrol stations - absolutely nothing was open (not sure about the pubs). They observe the 11th no matter what day of the week it falls on and if it should happen to be a Sunday then they take the Monday off as well as a day in lieu.

dallas
24th Nov 2007, 15:51
it's a public holiday between Aug and Dec
Touche. And I don't mean the turtle.

dallas
24th Nov 2007, 15:56
I was abroad last year for Armistice Day and everything in Belgium came to a complete halt. No shops, no petrol stations - absolutely nothing was open (not sure about the pubs). They observe the 11th no matter what day of the week it falls on and if it should happen to be a Sunday then they take the Monday off as well as a day in lieu.
Unfortunately(?) it wasn't the same all-embracing experience in the UK - we sent our young men and mourned them when they didn't come back. That's a bit different to having it happen in your back yard. On that basis we don't respect history as much as we should - unless the moron element are grasping for taunts in between lager swilling.

Pontius Navigator
24th Nov 2007, 15:58
Impinger, the Belgiques take all public holidays seriously. I experienced one, only things open were Florists so you could place flowers in the cemetaries and the restaurants.

If we had a public holiday like that for Remembrance then I would agree. Since Sunday is now almost like Saturday, except you can't buy booze in a Supermarket after 4pm, what chance a Monday?

A public holiday on 11/11 with no shops open would certainly concentrate the minds of the forgetful.