PDA

View Full Version : feral mouse

Tarq57
24th Nov 2007, 10:14
Recently the mouse has started doing random strange stuff. Right clicking a link to select "open in new tab" option sometimes causes the new tab to open on the right click. Sometimes not. And sometimes numerous instances of the new tab. Centre clicking on a tab to close it, or centre clicking to scroll around a page leaves a context menu behind, as though it had been right clicked. But not always, and there seems to be no pattern as to which type of page/link casues this; it's seemingly random.
This is a 2 year old labtec laser cordless mouse; I've reinstalled it, tried changing its settings, and uninstalled the driver/rebooted, all to no avail. Also tried cleaning it.
Using Windows XP home, Firefox with noscript/adblock/download helper.
Was thinking "mouse needs replacing.." but it doesn't do it using IE7.
All java/flash browser/addons kept up to date.

Hobgoblin
12th Dec 2007, 12:26
Have you considered the possibility that maybe your system could be infected with something strange? Try a couple of the free virus scanners as well as your regular AV programme to see if anything weird shows its face. Also, check to see what processes you have running when this happens again (Ctrl/Alt/Del).

Sorry, just saw you use FireFox, so I guess no virus then. Hmm, let me think a bit about this one. If I happen to find something intelligent to say I'll get back to you:O

Won't be an Add-On causing it either- the FF guys check them pretty thoroughly. Try posting the question in one of the FireFox developer forums maybe...

Tarq57
14th Dec 2007, 22:02
Thanks for the reply. Hobgoblin. It is possible to get a virus/other malware with any browser in Windows, just a bit less likely with FF. Especially with Noscript. I have four good freeware scanners, plus a resident AV and AS, and a two way firewall, and have gradually (mostly) learned what not to click or let run, plus do scans every so often, they always come up clean. Was hoping the latest FF update would fix it, but no cigar. Might have to go to their forum.

Keef
15th Dec 2007, 13:44
Sometimes, Firefox catches some lergy and carries it on for ever.

Mine on the desktop machine won't do automatic logons on phpBB forums, but the laptop will. The installations are virtually identical. Both will happily log on automatically to PPRuNe.

I've not found out why, and don't fancy the hassle of removing and reinstalling Firefox (especially since I'd then lose SpoofStick - the old installation will carry on, but it's not been updated for years and won't install into later Firefox editions).

You may have found another of those. It's not even certain that removing and reinstalling Firefox would fix it - some of this stuff hides deep in the Registry,