PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand ATPL Theory Recognition

NZScion
24th Nov 2007, 05:17
Hi All,

I'm currently in full-time training in New Zealand, and on top of my CPL and IR subjects, I am self-studying some ATPL theory subjects. My question is if the NZCAA theory subjects will be recognised overseas should I choose to work overseas after obtaining my CPL. Although I would like to stay in NZ and obtain the ATPL, (which requires 1500 hours and must be sat in a twin >5700kg, realistically obtained after several years of working), if I am unable to quickly find reasonable work after completing my CPL, I will probably head overseas.

I would appreciate any input/comments on completing the NZCAA ATPL theory subjects.

Many thanks.

redsnail
24th Nov 2007, 08:25
You'll have to check this with the relevent authorities, but generally, theory exams by themselves aren't recognised, only the licence. Therefore, if you hold a CPL with ATPL subjects and you want to convert to another licence (eg, FAA or JAA) then the CPL will be "credited" as such but your subjects will not.

To get any recognition for your ATPL subjects, you'll need to hold the ATPL.

Australia may be different because of the bilateral agreements, check with the CASA website.

NZScion
24th Nov 2007, 21:09
Cheers for the reply, I'll look into it.

NZScion
25th Nov 2007, 03:20
Just in case anyone is in the same situation as me, the following comes from the CASA website:

Theory examination credits obtained in New Zealand without the equivalent flight crew qualification being issued are not transferable under any circumstances (ie. NZ exam credits are not recognised in isolation). In other words, an application for registration of a NZ CPL cannot be accepted on the basis of a NZ PPL and CPL theory credits.