PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible...

sweptwingpilot
23rd Nov 2007, 14:36
... to still get a pilot/FO job after having had some trouble with first job?

It is a rather delicate matter so I would rather not go around posting its entirety on the PPrune website. It is making me angry and fed-up and not quite sure how to approach the subject when asked in interview. I am an honest person but I think that in my last interview I said too much. I got the impression also that they were not going to give me the job based on what had happened in X company. I have worked so hard to achieve the best results in my flying and have always worked hard to achieve my goal of becoming a pilot. I am worried that this is all in vain after what has happened..

I have heard of others who have bounced back after they experienced similar or worse situations and all have jobs now which they got straight after it happened, but I seem to be not so lucky. I know I have the minimums for a lot of these airlines but just am not given the chance.

I really need some honest feedback from professionals who know what they are talking about.

Thanks

redsnail
23rd Nov 2007, 14:48
It depends on why you were let go. Honesty is the best policy in 99.9% of the cases.

The vast majority of pilots that have parted ways with their employer (myself included) have managed to get equally as good or better jobs later on.

badboy raggamuffin
23rd Nov 2007, 16:03
Wouldn't happen to have been with Eastern Airways would it? Ive met a few people who have been given a hard time by them. Perhaps other employers know their reputation and wont hold it too much against you?

WannaBeBiggles
23rd Nov 2007, 19:26
I'd go with "honesty is the best policy' HOWEVER do not bad mouth the other employer! I cannot stress this enough.

As soon as they see someone with a chip on their shoulder (real or apparent) they will most likely pass on you.

sweptwingpilot
23rd Nov 2007, 19:28
Well I am an open and honest person, that is just me. I had an interview just recently and was honest but then got ripped apart in the interview. Needless to say I didn't get the job. :(

MrHorgy
24th Nov 2007, 10:02
SWP,

Is there anyway you can present why you did it in a good way? That sounds silly, but flying with grouchy evil captains could be presented as "I wasn't happy with the companies CRM training". You hate the type "The fleet was unreliable" etc..

I used to work in HR and it really is gonna depend on what it is that was the problem. They'll find out as well because you'll have a big gap on your CV and that's probably the first thing they will ask. The art of spin (not lying) is marvellous at deflecting awkward questions, go ask Alistair Campbell! :ok:

Horgy

Nichibei Aviation
25th Nov 2007, 10:37
It is possible, no problem.
Airline interviewers try to tear you appart in as many pieces as they can, to see how self-confident you are.
If you have a bad history, you may want to mention that or you may not, it's up to you. If they ask you about it and that there is no way of not mentionning it, show that you got over it (if you have, otherwise you shouldn't fly)

Let me give you an example, Captain Piché, from Air Canada who succesfully landed an A330 after fuel starvation (google & you'll find the story).
He had been in prison for some time and got the job with Air Canada after that. His experience helped save 300+ people from the death.

To give you better advise, I would like to ask you for more details about your previous experience(you don't need to mention your name or airline). You can PM me anytime you want.

The perspective and approach pretty much depend on the nature of the incident: union matters, physical encounter, damage on aircraft, neglected procedures,...

ramshorn
26th Nov 2007, 12:15
Hello Nichibei
Would it not have been a case of gross negligence on the part of the Captain who let his Aircraft run out of fuel in the first place?!:eek:

Wodka
26th Nov 2007, 15:49
Ramshorn... perhaps you should check your facts before you start $lagging off a crew. I suggest you read this...

Unknown to the pilots, the aircraft had developed a fuel leak in its right engine. During the course of the flight, the pilots had noticed a fuel imbalance between the fuel tanks in the left and right wings of the aircraft and had attempted to remedy this by opening a cross-feed valve between the tanks. This only caused fuel from the operational tank to be wasted through the leak in the engine on the other side.
Without fuel, an aircraft's engines cannot provide thrust or electrical power. As the Airbus is a fully fly by wire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_by_wire) design, without operating engines the plane is dependent on the emergency ram air turbine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_air_turbine) to fly the aircraft.
When the engines flamed out, important systems became unavailable. Specifically, the aircraft lost its main hydraulic power which operates the flaps, brakes, and spoilers. Additionally, an aircraft without operating engines cannot use its thrust reversers to slow the plane after touchdown.
The pilots of the Airbus A330 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A330) were able to glide the aircraft to a landing at Lajes Air Base (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lajes_Air_Base), Terceira Island in the Azores. The reported landing speed was about 200 knots indicated airspeed, higher than the normal speed of 130 to 145KIAS. There were no fatalities, but there were minor injuries. The favorable outcome was also due to the flight being rerouted on a more southerly route across the Atlantic due to congestion, bringing them closer to the Azores.

speedrestriction
26th Nov 2007, 16:33
Airline interviewers try to tear you appart in as many pieces as they can, to see how self-confident you are.

Steady on there - not all interviews are like that, at least not in the UK.

sr

Nichibei Aviation
26th Nov 2007, 17:31
And not all flight attendants are beautiful ;)

sweptwingpilot
26th Nov 2007, 18:32
Where did that comment come from... :E