PDA

View Full Version : iPhone

Telstar
23rd Nov 2007, 13:52
Would quite like to get my hands on one. It is not yet available in the country where I live and I wouldn't be able to sign up for a two year contract anyhow.

I've seen lots of them on eBay already unlocked for sensible money. The question is this though. If I have the newest version of iTunes or if I continue to update iTunes will it automatically update the software on the iPhone and then turn it into a brick? How can I stop it updating itself and therefore locking itself?

Bushfiva
23rd Nov 2007, 14:19
Depending on where you are, you might consider waiting for the next one if 3G is important to you. It will have to be a 3G device for Docomo, so there should be an updated iPhone quite soon now.

Keef
24th Nov 2007, 13:32
If you have an unlocked one, I understand it's advisable not to allow anything to update it, or it will lock again.

I'm waiting for the iPhone 2, which I hope will be able to write Word and Excel documents: the present one can only display them.

Jinkster
24th Nov 2007, 18:56
Iphone is quite nice however:

1) £269 - ok not too bad a price considering all the features

2) O2 have cornered the market so you are stuck with taking an 18month contract and paying between £40 to £55 a month for the privelage.

3) It cannot be unlocked or another O2 sim card being used in it because some of the features will not work.

I think - give it 12months and they will have better offers and it will probably be more open.

I enjoy Apple products and think its a real shame!!

Evening Star
26th Nov 2007, 17:33
Having a serious think about the iPhone as well, but cost giving me pause as well. No issue with O2 as such as existing customer, but quite a lot extra one existing contract for, in effect, internet on the move. Had extended play with iPhone in shop and internet performance better with wifi than through O2 network. Rather seems to confirm Bushfiva's killing point about 3G.

Personally inclined towards keeping existing phone and getting iTouch for time being with its wifi internet connection (am lucky that for various reasons have a lot of access to free wifi services). Will cost less than extra over of 18 month iPhone contract. By then suspect existing phone will be well past it and iPhone will be 3G. Well, I can but hope I guess.:cool:

Out Of Trim
27th Nov 2007, 15:26
I agree with Evening Star - It's a pity that Apple didn't think this one through and try to corner and grab as much revenue as they could; being tied to only one Network without 3G capability is very short-sighted, especially for the European Market. :ugh:

I expect they will learn this lesson very quickly and update to a Mk2 version very soon else all the competition with a lot of 3G experience will come up with a very similar product with a 5 MP camera etc and beat them to it!

I've tried the Ipod touch and it's very nice and for now I'd get that and keep a separate 3G phone.

Telstar
27th Nov 2007, 15:41
I've tried the Ipod touch and it's very nice and for now I'd get that and keep a separate 3G phone.

But thats the point of the iPhone, to combine all the devices into one, so you don't need to lug around too much equipment.

I want to buy one but no one has found their way through a crack for firmware 1.1.2.

Evening Star
27th Nov 2007, 19:10
But thats the point of the iPhone, to combine all the devices into one, so you don't need to lug around too much equipment.

Fair enough, but if the one device is not quite up to the mark and at a premium price, why bother? See you in two years time with iPhone 2!

Appleinsider debate here: UK consumers slow to adopt Apple's iPhone (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=81608)

Keef
28th Nov 2007, 10:39
I'm not really surprised it's slow takeup.

Not everyone likes O2. There are horror stories (I had one, some years ago, but have got over it).

The iPhone looks nice, but it won't do one of the most important things I need of a PDA - it won't allow me to edit or update Word and Excel documents.

I just bought an XDA Orbit, 8 months old, for £150. That WILL do Excel, Word, etc. It also includes a reasonable GPS with "walking" and "driving" functions. At the moment, I'm paying £15 a month for 200 minutes, 400 texts, and unlimited calls to other O2 mobiles. Almost all my family is on O2, so that's nice.

If I decide I want to use it much for browsing, another £7.50 gets me 200MB a month.

So for £150 plus £22.50 a month, I'd have significantly more functionality than the iPhone (but not the very clever operating system, which I do find impressive). When they bring out the iPhone 2, with Excel and Word (and maybe Satnav) and get the tariffs right, I'll buy one.

Telstar
2nd Dec 2007, 09:42
Would I be right in saying that no one has managed to unlock the latest version, 1.1.2, by cracking the software or by forcing the phone to revert to 1.1.1 or ealier which IS unlockable?

MightyGem
2nd Apr 2008, 16:08
The iPhone is fully unlockable to version 1.1.4. You can get the software here (http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com/?gclid=CPvLlLTym5ECFQqwQwodoDo7OQ) by paying for it, and getting the Support facilities, or you can get exactly the same software from here (http://www.ziphone.org/) for free.

I chose to pay for it for the Support, but it's exactly the same software. If an update comes out you simply Restore the iPhone via iTunes, update it and then unlock it again.

Hamrah
2nd Apr 2008, 17:46
Exactly Mighty Gem, worked with a US iPhone perfectly. Latest software, works with any Sim card. £240 on e-bay. Impressive piece of kit.

DouglasDigby
2nd Apr 2008, 22:07
£240 on e-bay.Not a bad price if for the 18GB version - $499 in Apple Store, US of A (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=3587D031&node=home/shop_iphone/family/iphone) (8Gb = $399). Unlocking = super easy - but DO NOT up-date!!

MightyGem
3rd Apr 2008, 16:00
Why not update? I unlocked mine before realising that it was 1.1.2 when 1.1.4 was current. Connected back to iTunes, did a Restore, updated and then unlocked it again. The software was rated for 1.1.4, so not a problem.

Just be careful about bying iPhones abroad. If you need a warranty claim, you have to do it in the country that you bought it.