PDA

View Full Version : God Bless Norwich!

Bob Viking
23rd Nov 2007, 13:37
What with all the threads about the people of this country who don't appreciate our troops, I thought I'd post a link to the Eastern Daily Press to show evidence of at least one city in Britain that does care.
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED22%20Nov%202007%2014%3A36%3A34%3A510
When the rest of the country doesn't seem to give a monkeys', Norwich has done us proud.
BV:D
(I wish Colt was still open!):(

The Swinging Monkey
23rd Nov 2007, 13:41
Thats better!
The rest of the country take not - please!
Not a Pongo, but well done guys
TSM

South Bound
23rd Nov 2007, 13:46
Love Norwich, it is a crime that Colt has gone. :Dto the thousands that supported the Vikings.

(Swords with desert rig looks wierd to me though!)

BattlerBritain
23rd Nov 2007, 13:48
Saw it on the news last night. The lads looked quite taken aback at such a warm reception.

The cameras showed a couple of old dears in the crowd waving their Union Jack flags like crazy and screaming "Well done lads!" at the tops of their voices.

Brought a big smile to my face :)

c130jbloke
23rd Nov 2007, 14:32
Good on Norwich

:D:D:D

Only ever had one night stop at Colt - bugger.

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Nov 2007, 14:39
Big picture in the Mail today - they looked bloody proud!

Good on yer, people of Norwich. Just what was wanted.

Tigs2
23rd Nov 2007, 15:45
Well done all you fantastic folks of Nowrich. I hope someone from the Eastern Daily Press reads this thread and prints the thanks of a grateful Military.

Exrigger
23rd Nov 2007, 15:59
Having been incensed at the other thread, re our injured troops, and similar ones on this and other sites, I watched that video and it bought a tear to my eye, so I would like to echo the thoughts of others and say well done Norwich you have done our forces proud.

To all the t*****s in the Government/MOD/country who don't care watch and learn, then hang your heads in abject shame.

Tigs2
23rd Nov 2007, 16:16
BigBlue

Thanks for the link Epic F*****g Epic! Thanks to all the folks who turned out. You have all made the lads feel as chuffed as they rightly should:D:D:D

rab-k
23rd Nov 2007, 16:38
How it should be done - everywhere! :D

Haven't been near the place since being at Swanton Morley but the locals don't appear to have changed any - great town - hats off to you. :ok:

Bob Viking
23rd Nov 2007, 16:46
Cheers for the extra link. Brought me out in goose bumps.
It's bl00dy good to see towns making the effort.
I say why stop there though. A morning off school for the local kids would be a great boost as well and it might teach them something they'll remember for years to come.
I wish I could have been there. I'd have taken time off to go and give my own round of applause.
Well done to all involved.
BV:D
Big Blue - Just saw your latest post!!
Seems somebody beat me to it!

artdes
23rd Nov 2007, 17:04
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/newmarket/2007/11/23/d0b606cf-195e-4270-8845-ab532c52b1d9.lpf

Mark Howard - "I thought that was unacceptable whatever your views are about the rights or wrongs in the war in Afghanistan and Iran. They shouldn't have to come back from what they have had to face without some sort of welcome."

Does he know something we dont? :oh:

Rocket Chucker
23rd Nov 2007, 18:13
Couldn't agree more with what's been said so far - a fantastic city welcome for a bl**dy good regiment. :D

That said I think the people of numerous towns and cities throughout the country would turn out to welcome the troops back home. There just isn't the corporate willingness from the local authorities to organise the events. Probably too worried about marginalising some section of the community, not enough budget or too dangerous because of elf'n'safety rules. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Well done Norwich :ok::ok: - for heavens sake take note other areas of the country!!!

Wrathmonk
23rd Nov 2007, 20:37
Not just Norwich but other towns in the Region as well ...

Dereham (http://new.edp24.co.uk/search/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&itemid=NOED19%20Nov%202007%2018:25:28:267&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=search) (the boys also got a bottle of bee reach - probably didn't touch the sides but it's the thought that counts)

Bury (http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED23%20Nov%202007%2014%3A21%3A16%3A733)

Together with a train in their honour ...

Train (http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED23%20Nov%202007%2009%3A04%3A29%3A437)

:D

Over the years the Eastern Daily Press has supported all the local Servicemen deployed on ops - they regularly have one of their reporters in theatre. Always very positive.

Alber Ratman
23rd Nov 2007, 21:17
A Fine City

That is why I live there..

The Colt Freedom Parades were always well supported. In 96 my grandparents came up to see the Freedom Parade with the husband of the family who had lodged my grandmother and mum when mu grandfather had been based up at York in mid 44. Mo Nunn was a Japanese POW in Bruma at the time, but 52 years on was a Chelsea Pensioner. When we marched on, I was presently surprized to see him and my grandparents watching the parade from the City hall balcony. Mo had been seen by City council officials had asked him to watch as a VIP (with my Grandparents as well).

That is what Norwich thinks of its Military......

Always a Sapper
23rd Nov 2007, 21:22
Well done Norwich, Mark Howard and all who turned out for the day :D

But not forgetting of course the BIG well done going to the Vikings :D:D:D

bigbluecar,

Good link (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article487774.ece) there mate, thanks for bringing it to our attention. What an insult to the Irish Guards, do these 'party' people have any idea whats going on in the world? sadly, I somehow doubt it...

FYI a 'Disgusted from Oxfordshire' email has been fired off to 'that' worst party ev....! should anyone else feel the need to put their views .... clicky clicky (http://www.bestpartiesever.com/Contactus.html) ......

There's a BIG well done for the Irish Guards too... and to all of those who sadly didnt make it back, thankyou for your sacrifice, RiP you will Never be forgotten. Thoughts as always with your family and friends.

fantom
23rd Nov 2007, 21:27
Excellent to see. Should be like that all over the UK.

Why isn't it?

Guzlin Adnams
24th Nov 2007, 00:30
Took the day off work to be there yesterday. I live in Bury and walked down to see the Vikings. A very good crowd, plenty of support and the times I heard people saying that the forces don't get anything like enough support from this bl--dy awful government. There were several interviews on the local news programmes during which people aired their views on the subject. The message is getting through, no doubt.
Some of the troops looked very moved by the responce that they recieved from Bury duing their march. It felt good, it felt right and I felt bl--dy proud to be there.:ok:
God bless.

Boxer42
4th Dec 2007, 13:45
Just spoken to my mum who, along with my aunt, went into Nottingham today to cheer the boys on.

She was overwhelmed by how many people were there and commented on how moving it was.

Well done to everyone who turned up. See, it's not as bad a place as people make out!

Bob Viking
4th Dec 2007, 13:51
Maybe I should change the title of the thread to God bless Norwich/Nottingham/Bury St Edmunds/Dereham........Any more for any more?!
BV:ok:

Tigs2
4th Dec 2007, 16:25
Good idea Bob:D

You can always keep adding to the thread title (or can you?):ok:

Bob Viking
4th Dec 2007, 18:07
Apparently not, no!:(
Still, the names of cities that are adding themselves to the list seems to increase on a daily basis.
A really big one in London would be nice!
BV:O:ooh:

Chalkstripe
5th Dec 2007, 12:49
Rocket Chucker wrote...
Quote:
or too dangerous because of elf'n'safety rules.
Seems your'e not far wrong! IrishGuards banned
23rd November 2007 19:13
Shouldn't Trade Descriptions have a wee look at "Best Parties Ever " - clearly the they don't do what they say on the tin! - to$$ers

John Alcock
5th Dec 2007, 13:13
Anyone know of a website that shows dates of all forthcoming parades for homecoming servicemen and women? Particularly interested in the North East, but keen to find a central record/list of similar parades.
Thanks

mutleyfour
5th Dec 2007, 13:42
Salisbury will host a return for the Light Infantry tomorrow (Thursday) expecting the streets to be lined with well wishers.

pr00ne
9th Dec 2007, 15:08
You smug faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

"Siegfried Sassoon"

Bob Viking
11th Dec 2007, 15:11
That must have been quite a parade.
That's a very busy thouroughfare and the streets must have been packed.
Good on 'em.
BV:ok:

Bob Viking
13th Dec 2007, 11:20
It was intimated in the press a few months ago that Cpt David Hicks (sadly KIA) and L/Cpl Oliver Ruecker of 1st Bt RA were potentially in line for the VC as a result of actions in Afghanistan. Has anyone any idea what's happening with them? Though, I guess it'll just be a case of we'll know when it's time to know.
It'd be nice to see a couple of guys getting some recognition in this way.
BV

Gainesy
13th Dec 2007, 11:50
The previous recent VCs seem to have taken about six months to filter through; is it a standing committee or do they only sit every few months?