PDA

View Full Version : SACAA will only validate foreign licences once (Part 61)

denlopviper
23rd Nov 2007, 08:16
i just got this from a friend in Cape Town...is it true?

I regret to inform you that from January our CAA will no longer validate foreign licenses in order to be used commercially in SA. There fore if you validate your license you will only be able to exercise the privileges of a PPL.

soo what does this mean for us guys who want to come over and fly as instructors?...i think we could do that on a validated license but what now?

missingblade
23rd Nov 2007, 08:49
Not sure what you mean - are you being hired by an SA company to come and instruct - and on what aircraft???:hmm:

If you come over as a student and do your comm/instructors here and then try and instruct to built time to ATPL that should be fine - since you will have SA licence.

Or is this a wind up?

High time CAA stop validating so many guys anyway.....

denlopviper
23rd Nov 2007, 09:14

ahh come on :p...

nope....i have my CPL with a tiny bit of charter time...but since theres no FI course being conducted in pakistan, we dont really have a choice but to go out...

what i understand from a guy that just came back form SA is that you can fly as an instructor in SA on a validated license...i have been checking, but getting mixed answers from different clubs in SA...

Hover Junkie
23rd Nov 2007, 11:47
Hi Denlopviper,

The following gen might help you. It comes from the new Part 61 that will be adopted on Jan 1st 2008;

(7) Notwithstanding the provisions of Sub-regulation 61.01.14(20), a Certificate of
Validation of a foreign licence may only be issued for a particular purpose and for a period
not exceeding twelve months, provided that under exceptional circumstances, the
Commissioner may extend the period of validation by one further period of 12 months.

and also;

(22) A Certificate of Validation may only be reissued once, at the discretion of the
Commissioner and only in exceptional cases, on condition that the applicant provides
sufficient proof that he or she has complied with all requirements of the country of issue of
the foreign licence or rating in respect of maintenance of competency.

Hope this helps. The way I read it is that you can only get validated once from next year, not annually as is the case now.

I hope I'm correct, but as far as I know a foreign instructor's rating can be validated only for as long as a South African (instructor) License holder does not have the type on his/her license. In other words, you can give instruction on a type that no South African (instructor) has on his/her license until such time as they do.

Hope it helps, anybody is open to correct me. I'm not CAA so....

denlopviper
23rd Nov 2007, 12:57
Hey

thanks, that cleared up things a bit :)

also can ya tell me where i can find study material online for AvLaw exam?

B Sousa
25th Nov 2007, 02:42

You may find that works both ways. Lots of folks on FAA licenses are from SA. Once the SACAA plays hardball, they are going to have to find something other than an SA License. That costs big money and it will hurt SA more than others.

I guess we must pass this on to the FAA so they can kindly reciprocate. They are so in love with SACAA anyway......NOT.

B200Drvr
25th Nov 2007, 05:42
Developer, You cannot validate an instructor rating, ie you cannot instruct in South Africa without a valid South African instructor rating, you also cannot add a South African instructor rating to a validated certificate.
It is also my understanding that validations will still be issued to pilots in certain circumstances, but popping over to the US to get a quick Comm. is not one of those circumstances.

denlopviper
25th Nov 2007, 06:27
i have a pakistani CAA CPL and i dont plan on going for an FAA Comm. tooo much risk if you know what i mean :}

hmm, is there any condition which would allow the SACAA to give us the FI rating on a validated license as there is no FI course being conducted in my country.

oh and would if i want to get my SA Comm. 1t before the FI course, for that i only have to rewrite all the exams and do the check only right?

Hover Junkie
27th Nov 2007, 07:32
Something else for the pot:

South African CAA validates Russian licenses, pilot and f/e's. But try doing that in Russia with your South African license, you've got two chances....

Why do South Africa do it, you tell me - cause there are plenty of South African holding appropriate Russian Aircraft type licenses that gets validated by the CAA. Funny business we're in - this aviation business...:oh:

B Sousa
29th Nov 2007, 15:10
The concept of not validating foreign commercial licenses is not a new one in other locations around the world.

Suitcaseman
I understand that. MY concept of a validation is for someone like myself who does not live there and only want the ability to fly for a short time. 30-90 days as an example. For someone who decides to reside and work in a certain country or part of the world. I think they should be required to be licensed BY that country.
Dont get me going on UK Licensing and Im sure others up there are just as bad. The procedures are archaic and all I note is that its a huge money generator for "da Gubament".

Phenom
30th Nov 2007, 13:43
Yeah, interesting. I really need to get tha bottom of this. I only fly on a ZS Validation because we operate ZS registered A/Cs. Anybobody knows what'll happen to such scenarios?

Insane
3rd Dec 2007, 05:29
What is the situation for guys who fly ZS registered A/C based out side of SA?

Insane
4th Dec 2007, 08:27
There are a number of foreign licenced pilots who are operating SA registered A/C on a SA validation in their own countries. Does this mean that they will have to do a SA comm to continue to operate these A/C in their own countries?

MrBernoulli
5th Dec 2007, 01:31
From post #2:

Charming! How would you lot feel if JAR countries reciprocated that? :rolleyes:

porridge
7th Dec 2007, 17:00
As far as I am aware it doesn't happen. The UK CAA will validate a foreign ATPL, but on;y if the person has 3000 plus hours on heavy aircraft. Then it is only on G-reg and it is only for a certain period until the JAR theory has been passed (2 years I think).
The FAA will issue anyone a PPL and allow them to fly IFR if they have a valid ICAO IR and pass a 50 question written exam. However, it is PPL privileges only.