PDA

View Full Version : ATPL at OAT while at Oxford University?

Contacttower
22nd Nov 2007, 16:47
Has anyone done this?

I was just wondering because I've been invited for interview at Oxford and while I'm not seriously considering a career in commercial aviation if I ever wanted to do the a modular ATPL course and if I get in to the university OAT would be an ideal place to do it.

Does anyone have any comments about doing flying training while also studying for a non-aviation related degree?

julesweso
22nd Nov 2007, 19:10
Hi,
Sorry I can't be of too much help, but as a current oxbridge student I'd strongly advise against adding more studies out of your subject while at uni. Though time can be found to get some flying training done, it would probably be extremely hard to fit in time for any ground studies, certainly not during term time. The best time to do some training is during the summer holidays, which you get a nice long 3months of, but I'm assuming you'd be gone home in that time anyway.
Good luck with your interview!
Julian:}

Contacttower
22nd Nov 2007, 20:09
Thanks, do you know whether the Oxford UAS is any good?

GJB
23rd Nov 2007, 08:13
quote: [I'm not seriously considering a career in commercial aviation]

but nearly 400 posts on PPRUNE. :hmm:

Gary Lager
23rd Nov 2007, 08:23
The ATPL course is not something to be attempted on a whim; I suggest that if you try to complete a course of flying training (modular or otherwise) whilst doing a degree then you will either f**k up your degree, the ATPL course, or both. Or at the very least fail to acheive your potential. Which is the same thing.

All UASs are equally as good (except Southampton, which is only for the elite), and equally as hard to get in - more than a little commitment to a flying/RAF career are necessary if you want to stay in longer than 5 minutes.

There is plenty of time for everything in a sensible sequence - don't rush things!

Bandit650
23rd Nov 2007, 09:28
I had the good fortune to be in a UAS whilst at university, and have commenced an ATPL recently. Attempting an ATPL at the same time as a degree is simply too much. Balancing UAS and degree was hard enough.

So my 2p worth would be to whole-heartedly agree with Gary Lager's comments above.

Pilotbeijing
25th Nov 2007, 15:54
i am in the fortunate position of both having been at a UAS and have recently obtained my cpl on the OAT integrated course. My advise is this, whislt at oxford do attend the uas squadron if you have a few hours in a tutor, it should make up your mind whether it is a career for you. All i can say is that the atpl at any organisation even modular should not be undertook with any other "course" you may want to so as it is in itself a degree. i have many friends who are modular and not to go into to much detail about which way is better, the modular guys commitments are arguably even more than our own. If however you do decide to become a pilot as a career, then you really have to ask yourself are you prepared to sacrifice alot of money for a qualification which does not entitle you to a job. if again the answer is yes, then you really are commited plus your nuts like the rest of us.

Groundloop
27th Nov 2007, 08:20
the atpl at any organisation even modular should not be undertook with any other "course" you may want to so as it is in itself a degree.

Dream on!:ugh: