PDA

View Full Version : Poor Security at RAF Saxa Vord

AonP
21st Nov 2007, 21:24
Below is a report about a break in at RAF Saxa Vord, apparently still active, clearly the security isnt very good. Does anyone know what the future plans are for the site? With the current increase in Russian activity I wouldn't be surprised if NATO demands its re-activation to fill the coverage gap!

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_11_2007/Juvenile%20exploration%20at%20Saxa%20Vord.htm

Maple 01
22nd Nov 2007, 06:33
Sheriff Graeme Napier deferred sentence for three months, and told the four to write to the commanding officer at RAF Buchan.

The sheriff said: "Explain to him that you are collectively the four idiots that broke into their premises, how much you regret it and ask for details of what you can do to make good the damage.

At least the Sheriff had the right idea, no 'society is to blame,' just own up and suffer the consequences of your actions

Bladdered
22nd Nov 2007, 08:03
Probably Lew the Brew or Tap Tap Thompson back to haunt us;)

Ed

ORAC
22nd Nov 2007, 08:33
FOUR young Shetland men have been told to write to the RAF to apologise for breaking into their most northerly base and stealing "expensive and highly sensitive communications equipment".

On 20 July the four smashed their way into RAF Saxa Vord, on the island of Unst, where they stole 12 strip lights, a field telephone, a digital micrometer, a digital noise meter, a tool box and its contents, a quantity of aerosol canisters and a flight case.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lj101
22nd Nov 2007, 10:52
I remember being a fighter controller at Saxa Vord in the late 80's when a coach party of 50 ish OAPs pitched up at the gate asking if they could come in for a cup of tea at the NAFFI, and the SAC on the gate let them in. Nice lad.

The Adjutant
22nd Nov 2007, 15:46
Similar story to the above, I was controlling there in 1972 during an exercise (early JMC I think) when a bunch of sailors turned up at the Ops Block. They had been put ashore from some Frigate to "attack" us, but by the time they had climbed the hill in the rain and mist they were only ready to come in and be fed tea. For weeks afterwards we were finding cut up broom sticks taped together like "dynamite" with "bomb" written on them from all over the site, so perhaps Jack didn't do a bad job afterall.
As you would expect of the early 1970's RAF we were all safe inside our warm building watching TV (BBC only in them days) and thought the whole thing faintly amusing.