PDA

View Full Version : Over Brighton 18-45

effortless
21st Nov 2007, 18:26
Not too hot on rotary types but does any one know why a large rotary was very low over Brighton this evening. It was too big for William and lit up like a christmas tree. It was dark but I thougfht that it was SAR. It tracked west east over the railway then back again slowly. I reckon it was as low as 200 if not lower according to terrain.

3D CAM
21st Nov 2007, 18:51
Lee on Solent on a job?

effortless
21st Nov 2007, 19:21
That is what it looked like but over central Brighton and apparently looking for summat?

Paradism
21st Nov 2007, 20:07
Maybe it was the Police Helicopter, it can appear quite large in the dark and has strobes and a searchlight. If it appeared to be searching it most likely was doing a FLIR scan of an area.

effortless
21st Nov 2007, 22:28
I know what william sounds like (old bill to you). He hovers over effortless tower most nights. This was a larger craft, less sprightly and very much more powerful. Also know what Bristow's lot sound like and this was much more like that.

206Fan
21st Nov 2007, 22:47
Prob a Navy Seaking, seen one before in the dark, was well lit up!

MD900 Explorer
22nd Nov 2007, 03:25
Effortless

Paranoid are you? Upset that a rotary type made so much noise....hmmm.
An MD902 @ 200ft would be enough to rattle your cage, Had it been a "lee on solent" (Which is a SAR S-92) it would have rattled your sphincter, doubt that would have been involved in local "william" stuff, unless it was involved in a "shore type search"

Did it upset your gin and tonic, or were you made to hold in the fixed wing circuit a tad longer than you wanted to... Doh!!

Why don't you send in a report, being all health and safety, with sound levels and readings.. showing how dilligent you have been... don't forget to wear a safety hat though...and glasses :E

MD..:E

effortless
22nd Nov 2007, 07:57
MD900 Explorer
Oh for ****'s sake, where in my posts have I complained? It should be clear that I'm curious. A craft of that size, at that height and in that position, behaving in an unusual way for that position, elicits curiosity. I am that little boy who sits in wonder and awe, watching these great beasts, wherever thay are.
Now will someone please tell me what a large, probably SAR rotary was doing wandering around central Brighton at low level about three clicks from the sea.

Oh and yes it did rattle a few windows but as I said it was mainly over a railway line.

mustfly1
22nd Nov 2007, 08:12
Had it been a "lee on solent" (Which is a SAR S-92)

Rescue "Whiskey Bravo" at Lee is a Sikorsky 61N.

From the 1st April 2008, it will be replaced by the AW139.

Kind regards

mustfly1

HeliCraig
22nd Nov 2007, 08:33
Sorry to increase the thread drift effortless - I am sure someone will tell you eventually - but...

The move to the AW139 is that as a result of a change of contractor for UK SAR (which I seem to vaguely remember, please excuse my lack of thorough knowledge)?

Where is the AW139 coming from, or is it a new machine? Will many more be seen replace S61's or other a/c ?

I presume that whoever operates them will run their own maintenance, although it would be nice to see some at Sywell visiting Sloane! Not likely though I suppose.

Bearintheair
22nd Nov 2007, 10:22
It wasn't the Sussex Police MD902. They were on the ground then.

Bravo73
22nd Nov 2007, 10:43
Was is a Merlin? Coming back to get the other conservatory...?

:E

Flying Pencil
22nd Nov 2007, 11:14
I saw it over Worthing way. Very pretty all lights blazing. Not the local police that’s for sure but difficult to say what it was. I may have been distracted by the busty babes on Hollyoaks at the time!!
MD 900 Keep taking the tablets there’s a good chap.
FP.

212man
22nd Nov 2007, 11:44
Where is the AW139 coming from

Italy, I would guess....:ok:

MD: the S-92s will be based in Stornoway and Sumburgh. AW139s in the South, at some point. Still S-61s for now.

OffshoreHeli
22nd Nov 2007, 17:04
Maybe the pilot was lost and looking for a railway station with the name on top.

Presstransdown
23rd Nov 2007, 07:49
effortless,
Aircraft was Coastguard VA. The standby S61 from Lee on exercise in Shoreham area including working with RNLI.
For info there are new helos arriving in stages from end of Dec (AW139)
Crews require 3 months work up from 4 Jan including time in Milan.
During that period S61 crews from other operations covering SAR.

Regards
P

effortless
23rd Nov 2007, 20:02
Presstransdown

Thank you so much, that is what it looked like. Funny excercise at that height over a railway but I can, of course, speculate.