PDA

View Full Version : The sticky at the top of the page...

BluntM8
21st Nov 2007, 16:32
All,

I was reading the sticky at the top of the Flight Testing forum, and it seems very sensibly laid out, individual topics gaining a link rather than having to trawl through 130 + pages to find the information required.

Whilst I am glad to be counted among those who get narky when a "wannabe" doesn't bother to RTFQ, it does seem rather unnecessary to expect them to trawl through 2600 posts! Could a similar re-arrangement be possible. If needs be, I'll do it!

Blunty

BOAC
21st Nov 2007, 16:39
A volunteer is worth.......................:ok:

Of course, the wannabees could use 'Search':ugh:

Pontius Navigator
21st Nov 2007, 17:42
I thought only a couple of pages were relevant as there is a definite echo in the thread.

It could be usefully trimmed with some of the humourous (inane) etc comments deleted.

BOAC
21st Nov 2007, 19:43
Of course the other thing BluntM8 has let him/herself in for is the regular checking and correcting of links.....................there may be a minutes silence.:)

BluntM8
21st Nov 2007, 21:26
It's a him. Or I'm a him. Or whatever...

Like I said, I get threaders with the same bone questions. I'll happily lend a hand to sort the sticky out etc. If that means checking links or the like, then so be it. Hard work never killed anyone and it'd be good to contribute something.

Blunty

BOAC
21st Nov 2007, 21:53
A generous offer SIR:) Since the mil forum is run by a 'consortium', the policy decision is best achieved if you email admin via the link at page bottom. Thanks for the offer. Please link to this thread in your contactmail.

Al R
21st Nov 2007, 22:01
Blunty,

I agree. It seems to me that any youngster who has half a brain will conduct a time benefit analysis and realise that a succinct question will possibly draw him more information in far less time than it would take him to trawl through hours of regurgitated same old, same old.

What they don't count on though, are the legions of dullards who seem to only live for the chance to show the fresh meat ruddy well what for.

Al R
21st Nov 2007, 22:16
Its a little like the time appreciations I used to do all the time as a JNCO.. but better and slightly more thoughtful. A little like a cost benefit analysis, but erm.. for time? Its a shame that they are pounced upon by the board sacred fathers / sprog stasi who hover like vultures who act as if their places at the bar or favourite chairs in the PS Bar have been occupied.

You need to embrace change and be grateful that young people are using common sense. I would have thought that a little bottom up thinking would be commended..

(oops, there I go again)

Seldomfitforpurpose
22nd Nov 2007, 08:15
"You need to embrace change"

So much so that when you leave the service you actually get on with your life as a civilian instead of endlessly posting, more often than not about things you have no current knowledge about, on a military website..........now that would a fantastic example of embracing change :rolleyes:

Al R
22nd Nov 2007, 10:51
I was trying (badly, clearly) to be ironic, and I have got on with my life as a civvy thanks. With regards to your final point, thanks for that too.

Cheers, and have a nice day.

Pontius Navigator
26th Nov 2007, 17:16
I pruned a lot of my posts from the OASC thread. Got my post count down :)

Fascinating looking at many names that occur regularly and then disappear.

Alex Luis (deleted) would pull back a few pages and so would the deletion of lots of posts from some of us poor :mad: that got sucked into his virtual world.

You know who you are :)

BluntM8
26th Nov 2007, 17:59
Just to bring the situation up to date - I've spoken with the PPRuNe management and agreed to work out which posts belong together so they can all be re-organised. However, I've also been posted so I'll be moving over the next week or so (and no, it wasn't a 24 hr posting! :})

So, I'll be starting to index the posts in about 10 days. As Pontious Nav has suggested, if you can trim some of the extraneous posts before then it'd be much appreciated.

Blunty

WolvoWill
26th Nov 2007, 18:25
As someone who is pondering joining up myself, I must say that I found the thread in question almost as long and difficult to sift through as it is useful! There is a wealth of useful information contained within but the limitations of the search feature and the sheer volume of posts makes finding it somewhat difficult.

A re-organisation will be most helpful, and perhaps this re-ordering will prevent the repetitious asking of largely similar questions that seems to wind up some folk so much. Thanks in advance to BluntM8 though - a time consuming task for sure :D

samuraimatt
26th Nov 2007, 21:20
Wolvo if you would like heaps of useful information on joining the RAF you should look at E-goat. They have got it sorted when it comes to this sort of advice. The link is here http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144

What you must understand about the Military forum of PPRuNe is that it is a bit like an online RAFA club where ex old Officers and Airman (You know who you are|l:ok:) meet to discuss the good old days and sneer at the yoof of today for daring to ask stupid questions about joining up. Unless you ask about the dreaded asthma of course which if you have it, or had, then tough go and work for Tesco. Anyway I hope you find the link useful.