PDA

View Full Version : flybe map error

scr1
21st Nov 2007, 07:15
Budget airline in capital mix-up

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44251000/jpg/_44251061_flybemap300pj.jpg The map was included in Flybe's promotional material

An airline has mistakenly placed Inverness where Edinburgh should be on a map included with promotional material sent to Highland homes.
Flybe has apologised for the error, but added passengers could look forward to important news regarding Inverness in the future.
Earlier this month, it announced a £20m increase in full-year profits.
The Exeter-based low-cost airline said it was a significant turnaround in its operational business.
In August, the airline's chairman Jim French met MPs who expressed worries about the reliability of its service between Inverness Airport and London Gatwick.
Lib Dem MPs Danny Alexander and John Thurso said they received assurances that improvements would be made to flights. They said they were reacting to complaints from constituents. Flybe said it was strongly committed to the Highlands and its chairman had found the meeting "extremely useful".

Wingswinger
21st Nov 2007, 07:46
Some-one must have checked it before publication. Sums up modern educational standards, I think.

oldlag53
21st Nov 2007, 07:54
Yep, should have been more thoroughly checked, but you gotta wonder about the intelligence of the graphic designer who put it there in the first place!!

Surely you would cross-check with a map when you were designing the thing??!!

No_Speed_Restriction
21st Nov 2007, 08:30
Does this fall into the Level 4 ICAO Map Comprehension scheme?

bracebrace!
21st Nov 2007, 08:31
And how come they call themselves 'Scotland's Low Cost Airline' on all their blurb up here in Jockland?

Last time i checked Exeter was in England. Then again, looking at their fantastic grasp of geography..... :rolleyes:

boris
21st Nov 2007, 08:39
I notice that they seem to have mislaid the Isle of Man as well!

everynowandthen
21st Nov 2007, 08:54
The IOM thing's a bit of a worry as am supposed to be spending Xmas there with my Mum. She'll be devestated. Somebody do something please.

snowylandings
21st Nov 2007, 09:01
I did not know Belgium was an island!

Sallyann1234
21st Nov 2007, 09:03
Mind you, flybe have created a lot of business to Belfast, since the ferries will no longer be able to get there.
JB, here we come...

a5in_the_sim
21st Nov 2007, 10:23
"Low Cost But Not At Any Cost"...except the cost of doing things properly the first time round!!
I know at least one senior manager who would probably say "The publication was 99% right with 37 out of 38 map locations being correctly displayed. Flybe is working hard to negotiate the name swapping of Inverness and Edinburgh so that the issue can be resolved to everyones satisfaction."
:ugh:

Pontius
21st Nov 2007, 10:29
Some-one.............. Sums up modern educational standards, I think
I do enjoy the satire. :rolleyes:

Golf Alpha Whisky
21st Nov 2007, 10:35
Careful with the name swapping ..... It actually aint Edinburgh either .... Edinburgh is nearer the Forth Estuary ... the point on the map is closer to Stirling or with an airport in mind Glasgow.

Shiny side down
21st Nov 2007, 11:03
That would be cumbernauld international, then. I was curious if anyone was going to exploit it. Calling it inverness, though, thats insulting to inverness.

Don't worry about the map, though. I've picked up a plog and the first question that came to mind was- WTF?
Quick call to ops, 'why have you flight planned us to there ?' 'We haven't, you're going the other place.' er, not according to your flight plan. Bugger!
:mad:

scotskenny
21st Nov 2007, 11:10
belfast has been swept further west also :eek:

tb10er
21st Nov 2007, 11:19
This is nearly as good as RYR's schedules. At least FlyBE landed in the right country:)

Sallyann1234
21st Nov 2007, 11:32
belfast has been swept further west also
Hence my comment about the ferries :*

radeng
21st Nov 2007, 13:30
At one stage last year, BA's in flight magazine didn't show the LHR - Nice route - and that on a BA flight from Nice to London! CC was more than a bit puzzled by the omission......

Return to base
21st Nov 2007, 13:41
I thought my feet were getting wet on the Island, I´d put it down to global warming, never thought it was sinking out of sight because of a map error :rolleyes:

rtb

lotman1000
21st Nov 2007, 14:30
And how come they call themselves 'Scotland's Low Cost Airline' on all their blurb up here in Jockland?

Last time I checked Exeter was in England.

I seem to remember seeing Flybe banners in a number of airports claiming to be that airport's "Low Cost Airline". Southampton springs to mind, as one example.

It's usually a fib on two counts; firstly Flybe isn't the local airline except at EXT, and secondly Flybe is only low cost when it needs to be to compete. As in £250, EXT/JER return!

eastern wiseguy
21st Nov 2007, 16:46
"belfast has been swept further west also"

Mind you it IS close to where a lot of their later flights land !!

Rainboe
22nd Nov 2007, 13:21
Not a misprint! This is taken from Ryanair's style. They are flying you to 'Inverness (Cumbernauld)' Airport! Expect to see flights to 'London (Exeter)' Airport next.

The Belgians don't know it yet, but they are to be made an island, served by ferries. The Rhine will be diverted to isolate them. They will become an offshore island owned by the UK. Chips cooked in horsefat will be prohibited, and that little boy urinating will be banned for peadophile reasons.